X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    My mom had a Betty Crocker cookbook bought shortly after she married my father. The ingredient of the day was lard. Lots of lard. Every once in a while she'd make something from that cookbook when I was a kid in the 80s, and it was the purest instance I've had for Heaven on Earth.
    I have my grandmother's Betty Crocker cookbook, from 1951, I think.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      I have my grandmother's Betty Crocker cookbook, from 1951, I think.
      My mom's was from 1959 or 60, I forget which. My oldest brother has it now.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

My mom's was from 1959 or 60, I forget which. My oldest brother has it now.
        This one is the Bible. 1950, 1st ed.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Adapted a recipe for cheese and spinach stuffed portobello mushrooms from eatingwell.com. All I really did was swap out the low fat cheese for the good stuff.

Speaking from my anorexic days, low fat cheese is nasty.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

RlBS!!
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Alton Brown shared this yesterday.
              https://www.facebook.com/altonbrown/posts/1745177518845182:0

I hope it's what I think it is. The only reboot I've been looking forward to on TV outside of Ducktales.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                RlBS!!
                I had ribs a couple weeks ago where the cook soaked them in pineapple juice for a few hours (overnight?). It tenderizes the meat, and they practically fell off the bone when eating them. I'm sure somebody's written a recipe for them.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm trying a few things different this time. I always did a wet coat of mustard to hold the rub and give it a nice crust. Skipped that this time.

I'm also adding a pan of water to the bottom of the smoker. Never done that.

Since I added the water, I'm also skipping the wet mop this time. I usually used a mix of apple juice or cider with olive oil. Skipping that since I'm thinking that every 45-60 minutes I open the door and it ends up drying them out.

I'm also giving great foil method a try. I don't mind over smoking so I've never tried it.

I love dry rubs that give it a good almost mealy bark. I don't like the naked KC style, I don't do BBQ sauce, and I have a great rib rub.
                  Code:

Comment

didn't know I was out of honey for my cornbread so ran to target to get some. Get up to the cash register and realize I forgot my wallet. No Apple Pay there either.

Didn't want to run back so I *ahem* improvised. This is going to be interesting.
                    Code:

Comment

I had ribs a couple weeks ago where the cook soaked them in pineapple juice for a few hours (overnight?). It tenderizes the meat, and they practically fell off the bone when eating them. I'm sure somebody's written a recipe for them.
                      I don't know what the enzyme is, but there is an enzyme in pineapple that breaks down the proteins in pork. I've seen it used successfully and, apparently if it's left on too long, it can make the meat mealy.

Comment

Oh my god. These are the best ribs I've ever made. I've only had a few that are better or even close.

They have just enough chew to them. Tender and juicy. With a little kick too. My roommate who doesn't even like BBQ (yeah, I know right?) said they were really good. And she's told me when my food sucks before.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                          I don't know what the enzyme is, but there is an enzyme in pineapple that breaks down the proteins in pork. I've seen it used successfully and, apparently if it's left on too long, it can make the meat mealy.
                          Yes, I've experienced this with kebabs. It is NOT a good thing.

Comment

Made Chocolate chip brioche pretzels from Smitten Kitchen. Gave my stand mixer quite the workout. I kneaded by hand for the part with the dough hook, because my dough had heated up from the 10 minute mix (more like 8) and spread, so it wasn't forming a ball. It was kind of cool yesterday, so it took awhile to rise. Also, this YouTube video was key: How to Shape a Pretzel.

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                            I think this is the same enzyme that is the reason you can't use fresh pineapple when making pineapple ice cream.

Comment

I reheated my leftover ribs tonight. These might be better than sex.

Lol. Just kidding. That's absurd. These are WAY better than sex. Mostly because I'm having them at the moment.
                              Code:

Comment

*throws burgers on the grill*

Someone comes out with foil-wrapped something-or-other

"What's that? How long is that going to take?"

"Zucchini, 20-25 minutes."

Me: *slaps forehead*
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X