Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 918

Thread: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

  1. #781
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    24,372

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    What do you normally get?

    Also, I completely agree. I once got to taste real brown sugar off a line at a sugar factory. Not the stuff thatís been centrifuged and had molasses added back. Itís got a different flavor that I really liked.

  2. #782
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    29,322

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    What do you normally get?

    Also, I completely agree. I once got to taste real brown sugar off a line at a sugar factory. Not the stuff thatís been centrifuged and had molasses added back. Itís got a different flavor that I really liked.
    I used to get Grandma Moses. Now I get Crosby's. We will see. I tried to diff batches with the junky stuff. Second time I was really careful with my measuring and still a disaster. When you are making paper thin cookies and the dough is totally inconsistent no matter how carefully mixed- um blech.

  3. #783

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    in my space lab in space
    Posts
    58,691

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    I have discovered the brand of molasses really matters bought store brand to make the pepparkakor and it was a disaster.
    What is a good molasses?
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  4. #784
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    29,322

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    What is a good molasses?
    Obviously not Market Basket brand

  5. #785

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    in my space lab in space
    Posts
    58,691

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Obviously not Market Basket brand
    LOL.

    Our daughter went on a jihad against the Trader Joe's brand. I didn't get to taste the result but apparently it was a war crime.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  6. #786
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    39,265
    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Obviously not Market Basket brand
    I use Grandma's.

  7. #787
    Let's Go Red!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,178

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    I use Grandma's.
    I'll second Grandma's. Brer Rabbit is good, too.

    I try to avoid the store brands. Some are alright, others not so much. I had a jar of Food Lion brand that tasted like cheap pancake syrup that a wet dog had rolled around in. Not good eats.

  8. #788
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    29,322

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
    I'll second Grandma's. Brer Rabbit is good, too.

    I try to avoid the store brands. Some are alright, others not so much. I had a jar of Food Lion brand that tasted like cheap pancake syrup that a wet dog had rolled around in. Not good eats.
    Grandmas is not available around here for some reason

  9. #789
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    13,174

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Peter Reinhart's soft cheese bread - I used the book, and not this recipe, but it's close.

    I used cubed sharp cheddar, since I prefer to taste and see the cheese, and I did loaves (boule).

    Just a little tip... if you use a stone, put a sheet of parchment over it, or you'll end up scraping burnt cheese off it.

    I need to buy a peel.
    Last edited by jen; 12-17-2017 at 07:22 AM.

  10. #790
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    39,265
    Christmas: unless I end up cooking for a crowd, I think I'll just serve a good steak dinner. Ribeye or NY strip?

  11. #791
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    24,372

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Ask the people youíre cooking for. Both are good cuts.

  12. #792
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    5,889
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Christmas: unless I end up cooking for a crowd, I think I'll just serve a good steak dinner. Ribeye or NY strip?
    Either would be great. We almost always do tenderloin steaks for Christmas dinner which would be another great option.

  13. #793
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    13,174

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    I have some cute gingerbread icing decorations to use, so I made David Lebovitz' Guinness and Gingerbread cupcakes. Topping them with my caramel cream cheese maple rum glaze instead of frosting.

    For Christmas dinner, I'm contributing Vegetarian lasagna, although I can't remember what vegetables I used last year.

    For Christmas brunch (a new-ish family tradition), making Butter Pecan Kringle, some sort of cinnamon bread, and a berry coffee cake TBA.

  14. #794
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    29,322

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I have some cute gingerbread icing decorations to use, so I made David Lebovitz' Guinness and Gingerbread cupcakes. Topping them with my caramel cream cheese maple rum glaze instead of frosting.

    For Christmas dinner, I'm contributing Vegetarian lasagna, although I can't remember what vegetables I used last year.

    For Christmas brunch (a new-ish family tradition), making Butter Pecan Kringle, some sort of cinnamon bread, and a berry coffee cake TBA.
    I would like to be adopted.

  15. #795
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    9,020

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    I made the dark chocolate buttercrunch that jen had posted in her long list of cookies. So good.
    Gave some to my mother-in-law as a gift. If I don't eat it all by Friday, some will go to Texas for my family to try.

    Also had a major fail this weekend as the chex mix I was going to give away as gifts was not good. I have my family recipe mostly memorized, apparently I did not have the oven temperature memorized and I burned things. After I took it out to stir the first time it looked weird so I turned the temperature up, I should not have done that.

  16. #796
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    13,174

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    I made the dark chocolate buttercrunch that jen had posted in her long list of cookies. So good.
    Gave some to my mother-in-law as a gift. If I don't eat it all by Friday, some will go to Texas for my family to try.
    The buttercrunch is, by far, the most popular thing I make for Christmas.

    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I have some cute gingerbread icing decorations to use, so I made David Lebovitz' Guinness and Gingerbread cupcakes. Topping them with my caramel cream cheese maple rum glaze instead of frosting.
    **** you, Lebovitz. I generally trust his recipes and don't question them if they don't seem right - because he knows more than I do. If this was from a MommyBlog, I wouldn't have filled the cupcake cups that full. But I believed him when he said "divide the batter evenly between cups" rather than the usual "fill 3/4 of the way". Cupcakes mushroomed on me and didn't bake evenly. And now I'm still stuck with the gingerbread decorations.

  17. #797
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    39,265
    Christmas: ham, Brussels sprouts with bacon, and mashed sweet potatoes turned out great.

    Now to have some alcohol and Panettone.

  18. #798
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    29,322

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Christmas: ham, Brussels sprouts with bacon, and mashed sweet potatoes turned out great.

    Now to have some alcohol and Panettone.
    What is this? someone gave us one. Never had it before.

  19. #799
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    39,265
    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    What is this? someone gave us one. Never had it before.
    Here. Better than fruitcake.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panettone

  20. #800

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    in my space lab in space
    Posts
    58,691

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Better than fruitcake.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •