• Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Onion jam
    Wait, what?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's actually really good, when done right.

The two most basic applications are to put it on a bagel with cream cheese, or spread it on a roast beef sandwich.

TJ's makes a pretty affordable version, although theirs is roasted garlic & onion, so don't plan on getting intimate with anyone after eating it.

Comment

Everyone here knows (might know?) I think the bacon fad is way over done. But one of the best things I've ever tasted was a bacon jam from a number of years back.

I don't remember anything else about the meal or even where I got it, but I remember it was like mana from heaven. It was served as part of a charcuterie board. If I had access to a supply of that stuff, I'd weigh 800 lbs.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

21 lbs of ribs on the smoker today. Making a bacon ( ) corn potato salad, and my famous cornbread. Salad and dessert are being brought.

I'm a little disappointed with one of the racks I got. The section with the sternum and other small bones was enormous. I actually had to trim it off entirely. Normally I smoke the full rack of spare ribs and ask the diners if they like them St. Louis style. I've always had better luck with this method.

But I essentially had to go full St. Louis style on that rack. It will be fine but talk about a lot of lost weight.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            It's actually really good, when done right.
            The two most basic applications are to put it on a bagel with cream cheese, or spread it on a roast beef sandwich.
            TJ's makes a pretty affordable version, although theirs is roasted garlic & onion, so don't plan on getting intimate with anyone after eating it.
            We make it at home -- just brown butter, onions and caramelize them down. Add white wine (or bourbon) and brown sugar.
            Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Everyone here knows (might know?) I think the bacon fad is way over done. But one of the best things I've ever tasted was a bacon jam from a number of years back.
            I don't remember anything else about the meal or even where I got it, but I remember it was like mana from heaven. It was served as part of a charcuterie board. If I had access to a supply of that stuff, I'd weigh 800 lbs.
            For our wedding, tcbg's best man organized a bourbon, bacon, and steak dinner at a local steak house. The chef demo-ed bacon jam for them and printed the recipe on the menu as a keepsake. He was nice enough to bring a little back after dinner. That stuff is delicious. We make it on special occasions.

Comment

Made Serious Eats' corn chowder recipe with sweet corn that was on sale at the grocery store for 0.20$ an ear for Labor Day. Pretty good.

Comment

• I think I know how to handle all the bread and muffins I plan on making: give them away.

Everybody likes free food, right?
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• jen, someone suggested I make Christina Tosi's birthday cake for my birthday. Looks delicious.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Sourdough English muffins from KAF. Surprisingly easy and fun to make. I added the citric acid, did the 24 hour rest, and got a nice sour flavor.

jen, someone suggested I make Christina Tosi's birthday cake for my birthday. Looks delicious.
                    Let us know how it turns out, if you do it. The only thing I find aggravating about some of her recipes is you have to make something before you make it (cereal milk, liquid cheesecake, etc). I do not always have time for the extra step (even though I'm sure it's worth it).
                    Last edited by jen; 09-18-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                      Sourdough English muffins from KAF. Surprisingly easy and fun to make. I added the citric acid and got a nice sour flavor.

Let us know how it turns out, if you do it. The only thing I find aggravating about some of her recipes is you have to make something before you make it (cereal milk, liquid cheesecake, etc). I do not always have time for the extra step (even though I'm sure it's worth it).
                      For the Birthday Cake, I have to find acetate strips. Best guess is to buy online?

Comment

• Bought butternut squash today, and I have a couple ideas:

1. Stuff it with meat and rice, then bake it.

2. Dice it, then saute it in butter with dried cranberries.

3. Soup.

4. Make a lasagna of it. Giada has a recipe, but it's time consuming.

Comment

Bought butternut squash today, and I have a couple ideas:

1. Stuff it with meat and rice, then bake it.

2. Dice it, then saute it in butter with dried cranberries.

3. Soup.

4. Make a lasagna of it. Giada has a recipe, but it's time consuming.
                          5. Dice. Saute with butter, fresh sage leaves, salt, and pepper. Toss with pasta and a light grating of parmesan.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            5. Dice. Saute with butter, fresh sage leaves, salt, and pepper. Toss with pasta and a light grating of parmesan.
                            I think I'll try that.

Also, in baking blunders, I made double chocolate banana bread tonight. But when measuring ingredients, I mistook the tablespoon for teaspoon. A tablespoon of salt is too much.

"That was the saltiest thing I ever tasted, and I once ate a heaping bowl of salt!"

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack&gold View Post
                              yum!!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                5. Dice.
                                Yahtzee.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X