Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

So for no apparent reason I remembered I had a Trader Joe's near me. The Green Dragon hot sauce is now officially my jam. I'm putting that on everything going forward. I might even start drinking the stuff.

Favorite Trader Joe's items, go.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    So for no apparent reason I remembered I had a Trader Joe's near me. The Green Dragon hot sauce is now officially my jam. I'm putting that on everything going forward. I might even start drinking the stuff.

Favorites - cheese case, hummus and dips, a lot of the canned goods (especially the tuna - almost the same quality as Wild Planet, but 1/2 the price), nuts, some of the crackers, frozen seafood, Greek yogurt, and the frozen Indian entrees and sides. The bottled "Moroccan mint" tea and sparkling juices are also good. I'll indulge in the packaged smoked salmon from time-to-time, but it's not a bargain, and neither is the rest of their meat case.

Hit or miss - frozen appetizers, which are usually overpriced for what you get anyway.

Their sriracha is just OK - more of a "beginner" sriracha. Not as good as Huy Fong's "rooster sauce". And their produce is usually a joke.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Lucia Apologist

Cookie butter. Itís the only thing from there Iíve had.

Almost forgot, during the holidays - Triple Ginger Brew. Comparable to Vernor's on kick, but has a fresher taste.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Veteran

I got a blue steel pan for Christmas. My family has already asked me to make Detroit pizza for New Year's Eve. It seems like maybe they had an ulterior motive with that particular gift.

Do I need a 6.75 quart oval Le Creuset Dutch oven? This is in addition to the 4.5 quart round one I have. Have some money burning a hole in my pocket, and can only spend it in limited places.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Winter wake up tea. Cranberry/chicken/kale salad. Pretzel croissants. Cheese - especially the unexpected cheddar (cheddar/parm mix). Also agree on the Indian frozen entrees.

Have not been impressed with the frozen desserts/ice cream things. I go there a lot, I'm sure I forgot stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I got a blue steel pan for Christmas. My family has already asked me to make Detroit pizza for New Year's Eve. It seems like maybe they had an ulterior motive with that particular gift.

Do I need a 6.75 quart oval Le Creuset Dutch oven? This is in addition to the 4.5 quart round one I have. Have some money burning a hole in my pocket, and can only spend it in limited places.

Winter wake up tea. Cranberry/chicken/kale salad. Pretzel croissants. Cheese - especially the unexpected cheddar (cheddar/parm mix). Also agree on the Indian frozen entrees.

Have not been impressed with the frozen desserts/ice cream things. I go there a lot, I'm sure I forgot stuff.
    Yes I have one and I love it.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Yes I have one and I love it.
    But do you have two and love them both? I'm not totally convinced I need another one. Right now leaning towards knives.

Lucia Apologist

Iíll take it if you donít want it

Iíve wanted one for quite a while lol

But do you have two and love them both? I'm not totally convinced I need another one. Right now leaning towards knives.
    I have the stock pot, the 2 of them, a couple of bakers, etc. Great for when people come to dinner- you can use it as a serving dishes after you have baked/prepped in them.

Veteran

Now I'm looking at pour-over coffee machines, and I'm afraid my Le Creuset hankering may be short-lived.

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    I have the stock pot, the 2 of them, a couple of bakers, etc. Great for when people come to dinner- you can use it as a serving dishes after you have baked/prepped in them.
    Do you like the stock pot? I read some not-great reviews when I was considering it a while back. I have a few of the bakers too - great quality, and so easy to clean. I also have some of their spatulas (not enough), and they're great quality. It looks like they redesigned them, though.

Now I'm looking at pour-over coffee machines, and I'm afraid my Le Creuset hankering may be short-lived.

Do you like the stock pot? I read some not-great reviews when I was considering it a while back. I have a few of the bakers too - great quality, and so easy to clean. I also have some of their spatulas (not enough), and they're great quality. It looks like they redesigned them, though.
    I love the function of the stockpot but the enamel on the edges of the bottom and by the handles have chipped over the yrs.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

I have a bunch le creuset stuff, tough , heavy, last a lifetime and more. Some I got new, some came from my mom.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Made-up a "Thai-inspired" pork stew on a whim tonight. It actually came out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Made-up a "Thai-inspired" pork stew on a whim tonight. It actually came out pretty well.
    Long pork?
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Long pork?
    *vom*

Just steam-fried some goyza. This is one of the reasons why I weigh 30 lbs. more than I should.

Lucia Apologist

Tomorrow Iím doing a dress rehearsal of my super bowl party foods with the exception of the wings. Making sure they donít need any tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Iíll take it if you donít want it

Iíve wanted one for quite a while lol
    Le crueset outlet in Eagan. I got a Dutch oven and everyday braiser for a great price.

I am not sure how we missed this soft ball but are you going to use the knives for cooking or nefarious things?

Math atheist

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Tomorrow Iím doing a dress rehearsal of my super bowl party foods with the exception of the wings. Making sure they donít need any tweaks.
    Chiliís good. Made some yesterday. Thanks again.

Lucia Apologist

Youíre welcome. Itís good stuff. Many years of refinement.

Thread Information