X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I bought one on Amazon earlier today. Its lid has a venting hole that can be opened or sealed, depending upon need.
    Perfect.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I tried my hand at making homemade spaghetti sauce last night, starting only with actual tomatoes and no pastes or sauces from a can. Two things to remember going forward:

1) I need a stock pot with a lid that fits, to help control the loss of moisture.
      2) Turn down the heat after browning the Italian sausage.

I've yet to taste it, but I think I have some sort of Italian chili on my hands at this point. My girlfriend sent me a link to fix that issue, which I'll have to review when I get home from work. Hopefully, I've not gone beyond the point of no recovery.
      Cooking Light has something about Red sauce in it this month. I usually slow simmer the tomatoes until they are broken down (or, yummier- slow roast them in the oven at 200 for a few hours), add fresh garlic and simmer for a little bit.
      use a blender stick til everything is smooth, sieve the seeds out,
      add a little salt, fresh basil, olive oil whirr again,
      simmer a bit more.
      Freezes well. Add a bit of cream and yummy soup.

The one in cooking light has all sorts of other stuff.

Comment

Made Sweet and Salty Brownies from Baked and they were very well received. Super fudgy, and just a hint of salt. I didn't add the fleur de sel and sugar on top, because I was transporting them, and figured it would all fall off.

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Cooking Light has something about Red sauce in it this month. I usually slow simmer the tomatoes until they are broken down (or, yummier- slow roast them in the oven at 200 for a few hours), add fresh garlic and simmer for a little bit.
        use a blender stick til everything is smooth, sieve the seeds out,
        add a little salt, fresh basil, olive oil whirr again,
        simmer a bit more.
        Freezes well. Add a bit of cream and yummy soup.

The one in cooking light has all sorts of other stuff.
        I do the slow roast thing with Romas and balsamic vinegar, then puree, and freeze. I add spices later (in case I'm not using it for something Italian). Can get big baskets of Romas at the end of the season at the Farmers' Market.

Comment

• Suggestions for zucchini that aren't ratatouille or a low carb replacement.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Fried in olive oil, tossed with pasta and and freshly grated parm.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              Suggestions for zucchini that aren't ratatouille or a low carb replacement.
              Stuff it like a bell pepper - make a ground beef mixture, top with tomato sauce and cheese, then roast it.

Comment

I slice them up fairly thick (about 1/2"), drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with black pepper and garlic salt, and grill them. They turn out great grilled.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Made this last night:

https://www.thespruce.com/classic-fresh-salsa-3060434

I substituted parsley for cilantro, and I used ground red pepper because I had no chiles. I jammed it all in the blender, because it was getting late and I didn't feel like dicing tomatoes at 11:30 pm. Be careful with that. I almost wound up with salsa soup.

A bit too sweet at the start, but the flavor kicks in late. If I can find a way to really cut back on the early sweetness, this one is on point.
                  Last edited by Hammer; 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Made this last night:

https://www.thespruce.com/classic-fresh-salsa-3060434

I substituted parsley for cilantro, and I used ground red pepper because I had no chiles. I jammed it all in the blender, because it was getting late and I didn't feel like dicing tomatoes at 11:30 pm. Be careful with that. I almost wound up with salsa soup.

A bit too sweet at the start, but the flavor kicks in late. If I can find a way to really cut back on the early sweetness, this one is on point.
                    a wee bit of soy sauce. For some reason it fixes anything with tomatoes

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      a wee bit of soy sauce. For some reason it fixes anything with tomatoes
                      Umami.

Comment

Worcestershire > soy
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

10 lbs of wings just went on the smoker for our draft. Om nom.
                          Code:

Comment

• Haven't had tongue, heart, or liver in awhile.

"Gross," you're probably thinking... but prepared right, tongue is delicious served with a warm mustard sauce.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Haven't had tongue, heart, or liver in awhile.

"Gross," you're probably thinking... but prepared right, tongue is delicious served with a warm mustard sauce.
                              Growing up, a neighbor family would host an annual pig roast, and the neighbors were all invited and would kick in some cash to the pot and get some pig, meanwhile all bringing some side dishes too. The father of that family would always save the tongue to be split between himself and his oldest son. They both loved it.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Haven't had tongue, heart, or liver in awhile.

Tongue and heart are just non-skeletal muscles. One of the best things I ate in Chicago last summer were skewers of chicken hearts from a Japanese-style robatayaki joint.

Comment

Working...
                                X