X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Fromage D'affinois. Carmelized onion and artichoke with Herbes de Provence. Toasted baguette.

This was my best idea in ages. Messy though.
    Oh. My. goodness. I want some of that!

Comment

So I took my mom out to Fogo for lunch and she sent me home with a bacon-toffee-chocolate something or other.

I think I’m approaching what it feels like to be addicted to farking fentanyl
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Oh and two things:

1. I saw Hy-Vee had dragonfruit in. I think I’m going to pick one up and see what I can do with it.

2. Hy-Vee also had white figs in. I’ve had black mission figs before but never white. Any fig aficionados out there? Skip and wait for black, or give them a shot?
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Anybody know the secret to applying a crumb-coating to a cake? Is it only good for certain types of frostings/icings? Is there a temperature thing going on beyond having the cake down to room temp?

Asking for a friend...
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Anybody know the secret to applying a crumb-coating to a cake? Is it only good for certain types of frostings/icings? Is there a temperature thing going on beyond having the cake down to room temp?

Asking for a friend...
            I crumb coat my cakes when doing any frosting. Put your cakes in the fridge after cooling on the counter so you can stack them and use frosting between the layers as glue. After stacking spread a thin layer of frosting around the outside starting from the top of the cake and pushing it down the sides with an offset spatula. If you have a bench scraper you can use that to evenly distribute the frosting. Put the cake in the fridge for a few hours to set the frosting, then finish frosting. One key thing is to never let the spatula that is spreading the frosting on the cake go into the bowl of frosting (use a large spoon or separate spatula to glop it on top and the smooth it with a spatula).
            I'll see if I can find the Youtube video that I like that talks about frosting.

Comment

So I found a recipe that I wanted to try for the dragonfruit. It just happened to be vegan, raw, blah blah blah. First, those vegans might be on to something. But they’re still a bunch of goddam liars.

https://choosingchia.com/vegan-drang...eesecake-bars/

I did make a few subs. Couldn’t find rice syrup so I used honey. I think I made the right call. I used less coconut oil. This thing was already deadly enough with the coconut cream and I decided to add it slowly. It definitely didn’t need the full six. I also used Dutch-process cocoa powder since that is what I had on hand.

Now, it is legit tasty. The fake brownie base was shockingly good. I probably could have eaten that right out of the food pro. But the color is a complete lie. Absolute horsesh-t. Came out like an aged Pinot noir instead of fuchsia. She obviously used beet coloring or had access to plutonium-laced raspberries. One or the other. I know these things always end up as “NAILED IT” but this was an outright lie.

She also left out a couple of steps. It said to do the swirl right away. Lies. I should have known better. It needed to go into the fridge for 5-10 minutes. I know how to napoleon a dessert and this was no bueno.
              Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                So I found a recipe that I wanted to try for the dragonfruit. It just happened to be vegan, raw, blah blah blah. First, those vegans might be on to something. But they’re still a bunch of goddam liars.

https://choosingchia.com/vegan-drang...eesecake-bars/

I did make a few subs. Couldn’t find rice syrup so I used honey. I think I made the right call. I used less coconut oil. This thing was already deadly enough with the coconut cream and I decided to add it slowly. It definitely didn’t need the full six. I also used Dutch-process cocoa powder since that is what I had on hand.

Now, it is legit tasty. The fake brownie base was shockingly good. I probably could have eaten that right out of the food pro. But the color is a complete lie. Absolute horsesh-t. Came out like an aged Pinot noir instead of fuchsia. She obviously used beet coloring or had access to plutonium-laced raspberries. One or the other. I know these things always end up as “NAILED IT” but this was an outright lie.

She also left out a couple of steps. It said to do the swirl right away. Lies. I should have known better. It needed to go into the fridge for 5-10 minutes. I know how to napoleon a dessert and this was no bueno.
                There’s nothing better than making a bunch of changes in a recipe and then acting surprised it doesn’t develop as described. But of course, the problem must be that the original recipe is a lie, not that you ignored numerous parts of it for the sake of convenience or your own whims. Couldn’t possibly be your own fault, nope. Lies!
                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

I thought I would have a little fun with the post but I guess I went too far. I apologize for ever having offending your sensibilities. It will never happen again. And I’ll never ever make a substitution again. Especially ones that have nothing to do with the part that didn’t turn out right.
                  Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-17-2018, 06:34 AM.
                  Code:

Comment

First substitution I'd make to that is to actually use some dairy, since it is a god**** cheesecake. Sorry, vegans, you don't get to use our words for stuff, make up your own. Vegan cheese is not a thing, cheese, by definition, is dairy.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I didn’t cook, but it’s a food thread.

Had dinner at D-spot in Oakdale. Who knew that Goddam Oakdale, Minnesota was the center of the wing universe?

They should build a statue for Darrin the guy who created this place. I’ve lived in Oakdale for years and I finally got around to making it here. The hype might just be understated.
                      Code:

Comment

Did you dip them in mayo

Comment

Yeah, they just bring out a giant gallon sized mayo jar to share. I’m as shocked as you.
                          Code:

Comment

I am wondering how many times I will need to learn the lesson "do not do something else while pizza dough is on the grill". 4, 5, 873?

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                              I am wondering how many times I will need to learn the lesson "do not do something else while pizza dough is on the grill". 4, 5, 873?
                              Despite many terrible mistakes, I still have not learned this lesson.

I am 55 years old.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Christina Tosi has a Cake cookbook coming out in October. I was so disappointed in her last one, I am trying to muster some excitement.

Also, Sister Pie has a cookbook coming out. Holding off on pre-order until I hear if the salted maple pie is in it.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Despite many terrible mistakes, I still have not learned this lesson.

I am 55 years old.
                                I erred on the other side last night - not cooked enough. I think part of my issue is I tend to roll it too thin.
                                Last edited by jen; 05-26-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X