• Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

My Thanksgiving responsibilities -

Pumpkin Caramel Swirl Cheesecake
    Chocolate cupcakes
    Carrot soufflé
    Mashed sweet potatoes

Looking for a good carrot soufflé recipe. I had it at Busy Bee Café in Atlanta and theirs was amazing. I've wanted to make it ever since (but they don't share their recipe).
    Last edited by jen; 11-27-2015, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      I made some quick and easy, healthier pasta the other day. Chicken sausage, sun dried tomatoes, kale, pasta and a small amount of light cream sauce. Not exactly healthy, but not as bad as fettuccine alfredo and yet more filling/satisfying.
      Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        I could do that, too. Now I need a few sides...
        Sage sausage stuffing (maybe dial it up with some homemade cornbread), mashed potatoes and dripping gravy (maybe dial it up and do something like twice baked or garlic mash or even something crazy with sweet potatoes), as for vegetables and other sides, I'll leave that to the more herbivore-centrics here.

My dad has turkey day down to a science. He's just like me. He has the whole thing in a spreadsheet and has it timed out with his oven. And I'll be dammed if he doesn't always pull it off. Last year the turkey was done an hour early and it was still outrageously good
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

So I was at my brother's farm this past weekend and he cooked steak for dinner. Good steaks from Costco, prime cut and all, but the remarkable piece to this was his knife set. He laid out the steak knives without commenting on them, and they didn't look like much, just normal steak knives. Then I used the knife at my setting and the thing just glided through my steak like it was nothing. I sincerely couldn't believe it. It turned out to be the Miracle Blade III knife set, someone gave them to him for one reason or another, and he's been just as impressed with them as I was. So I just order a set for myself. It's tough to find good knives, and I'm really hoping that the rest of the set is as good as the steak knife I used. Online reviews actually look really positive, only warning to be careful because they're just so very sharp. This might actually get me to start cooking some more complex meals that need more cutting than the basic things I prepare now. I'll find out in a few days, at least.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Highly recommended

Comment

Celebrating the end of kitchen remodeling with Harvest Pumpkin Scones.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              That sounds delicious, but holy ****, her writing style is annoying. Chatty food bloggers annoy me. Tell me a little bit about the recipe (as in, tips for making it or things to watch for), in a straight-forward style, and then give the recipe. I don't give a **** what your kids or husband did today, or how "busy" your life is, and we do not need 20 pictures. You are not my BFF. I am a stranger who wants a recipe.
              Last edited by jen; 11-09-2015, 08:44 AM. Reason: you can tell it's a good morning, because I swore twice in that post.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                Celebrating the end of kitchen remodeling with Harvest Pumpkin Scones.

That sounds delicious, but holy ****, her writing style is annoying. Chatty food bloggers annoy me. Tell me a little bit about the recipe (as in, tips for making it or things to watch for), in a straight-forward style, and then give the recipe. I don't give a **** what your kids or husband did today, or how "busy" your life is, and we do not need 20 pictures. You are not my BFF. I am a stranger who wants a recipe.
                Yeah, I meant the recipe. Not her writing.

Comment

I started my Christmas cookie spreadsheet. Tentative list:

Gluten Free Shortbread (probably maple-pecan or cranberry-orange) (new)
                  Cherry Pistachio Biscotti (new)
                  Finnish Chestnut Fingers (new)
                  Hot Cocoa Cookies (new)
                  Italian Fig Spirals (new)
                  Rice Krispie Trees (new - just for mailing)
                  Holiday Crunchies (new - graham cracker crumbs, chocolate, butterscotch, coconut, nuts and condensed milk)
                  Butter Pecan Rum balls (new)

Gluten Free Chocolate Oatmeal with cherries and white chocolate (repeat)
                  Gingerbread Snickerdoodles (repeat)
                  Grasshoppers (repeat)
                  Chocolate Raspberry Rugelach (repeat)
                  Gluten Free Molasses (repeat)
                  Peanut Butter Maple (repeat)
                  Mandelbrot (repeat - Zingerman's recipe, not online)
                  Dark Chocolate Buttercrunch (repeat)
                  Peppermint Bark (repeat)
                  Maple Pecan Slices (repeat)
                  Peppermint Shortbread (repeat)
                  Ginger Bark (repeat)
                  Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheels (repeat)

I was going to make Lebkuchen, but I think I have too many "old people" cookies (although I do bake for a lot of old people).
                  Last edited by jen; 11-10-2015, 08:29 AM. Reason: added links

Comment

I started my Christmas cookie spreadsheet. Tentative list:

Gluten Free Shortbread (probably maple-pecan or cranberry-orange) (new)
                    Cherry Pistachio Biscotti (new)
                    Finnish Chestnut Fingers (new)
                    Hot Cocoa Cookies (new)
                    Italian Fig Spirals (new)
                    Rice Krispie Trees (new - just for mailing)
                    Holiday Crunchies (new - graham cracker crumbs, chocolate, butterscotch, coconut, nuts and condensed milk)
                    Butter Pecan Rum balls (new)

Gluten Free Chocolate Oatmeal with cherries and white chocolate (repeat)
                    Gingerbread Snickerdoodles (repeat)
                    Grasshoppers (repeat)
                    Chocolate Raspberry Rugelach (repeat)
                    Gluten Free Molasses (repeat)
                    Peanut Butter Maple (repeat)
                    Mandelbrot (repeat - Zingerman's recipe, not online)
                    Dark Chocolate Buttercrunch (repeat)
                    Peppermint Bark (repeat)
                    Maple Pecan Slices (repeat)
                    Peppermint Shortbread (repeat)
                    Ginger Bark (repeat)
                    Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheels (repeat)

I was going to make Lebkuchen, but I think I have too many "old people" cookies (although I do bake for a lot of old people).
                    So, the one thing I click on isn't a link
                    That is an impressive list.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Impressive as in the length of the list or that you like the contents? Because saying that the only item you clicked on turned out not to be a link tells me that you think the rest of it is sh**.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

In a funk making dinner for awhile. Mr les has very pedestrian tastes. Anyone have fairly healthy comfort food type dinners to suggest?
                        Don't know about healthy but this is pretty pedestrian, and pretty good. imo

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/reci...?recipe=242278
                        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                          Don't know about healthy but this is pretty pedestrian, and pretty good. imo

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/reci...?recipe=242278
                          Comfort food at its best

Comment

Comfort food at its best
                            Can't go wrong with a Shepard's Pie either.
                            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

sorry - that one is from an ancient stack of newspaper clippings of my grandmother's, so it's not online. As written -

Holiday Crunchies

1/2 C butter, melted
                              1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs
                              1 6-oz package chocolate bits
                              1 C angel flake coconut
                              1 6-oz package butterscotch bits
                              1 can sweetened condensed milk
                              1 c broken nutmeats

Place butter in a 9x13 inch pan to melt. Spread crumbs over bottom, then a layer of chocolate bits, butterscotch bits, and coconut. Drizzle milk over these ingredients and top with nutmeats. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into small squares.

Yield: about 100 cookies

Note: cut into large squares and serve with ice cream.
                              I assume cans of condensed milk were the same size then, and that bits = chips. I'm not sure what "angel flake coconut" is, but regular old sweetened coconut flakes is what I planned to use. Also, I can't imagine a 9x13 pan making 100, although they are probably extremely sweet, so need to be cut small.

Comment

sorry - that one is from an ancient stack of newspaper clippings of my grandmother's, so it's not online. As written -

I assume cans of condensed milk were the same size then, and that bits = chips. I'm not sure what "angel flake coconut" is, but regular old sweetened coconut flakes is what I planned to use. Also, I can't imagine a 9x13 pan making 100, although they are probably extremely sweet, so need to be cut small.
                                Thanks. My GM in law called these 7 layer cookies and Mr les loves them!

Comment

Working...
                                X