X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Zone your charcoal. I swear I'm the only one I see who does this (though I'm sure many do)

I push all of my coals over to one side of the grill so I can sear and then effectively bake whatever I'm grilling. Start hot and then move it all the way away from the coals. Both with the cover on.
    It was a tiny grill, a travel grill I took to the drive-in theater. If I end up getting a full-size grill, zoning like you said is what I'd do. My brother does the same thing, for the record. Oh, just thinking about that, he makes great bacon wrapped jalepenos on them.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

As soon as I read your Vali Hi post in the other thread I realized that post became useless.

Just too lazy to come fix it.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Protip - even in the nicest lemon/caper/tomato/onion sauce in the world, will never cover-up the fact that the fish you're serving it with has been in your freezer for about six months. Thankfully, I was smart enough not to serve it to anyone but myself.

In the words of Gordon Ramsay, "Dreadful". Shame on me.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Protip - even in the nicest lemon/caper/tomato/onion sauce in the world, will never cover-up the fact that the fish you're serving it with has been in your freezer for about six months. Thankfully, I was smart enough not to serve it to anyone but myself.

In the words of Gordon Ramsay, "Dreadful". Shame on me.
          This sounds awful. there is nothing more nasty to imagine than fish gone bad

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            This sounds awful. there is nothing more nasty to imagine than fish gone bad
            It wasn't rotten (it had been frozen) - it didn't smell old when I pulled it out after defrosting it. It was just a bit freezer burned, and tasted "not fresh".

Like I said, I should've known better. Need to use up my freezer stores much faster, especially when it's fish.

Comment

I've been going through all my cookbooks and updating Eat Your Books with the recipes I marked so I can search them online.

Final analysis:
              I buy way too many cookbooks.
              It's interesting to read through what recipes I marked 15 years ago, vs. what I would mark now, since my cooking skills have changed drastically.
              Often the only way I remember that I've made a recipe is because the page is dirty.

And I just bought Christoph Felder's 770 page book on Patisserie.

Comment

I try not to buy cookbooks, since literally any recipe can be found online now. However, I couldn't resist buying Bourdain's cookbook last year, in hardcover.

Still haven't made a single recipe in it. Sure does look nice sitting on my coffee table though.

Comment

I have a couple DASH cookbooks, as well as my grandmother's Betty Crocker cookbook from 1951.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I try not to buy cookbooks, since literally any recipe can be found online now.
                    Sometimes I get cookbooks from the library before I buy them, so I can see how many recipes I'd actually use. If I only find 1 or 2 recipes I like, I look for them online instead of buying the whole book... there are a lot that aren't available online.

And sometimes there are cookbooks where I like LOTS of the recipes, so obviously I am required to buy those.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      I've been going through all my cookbooks and updating Eat Your Books with the recipes I marked so I can search them online.

Final analysis:
                      I buy way too many cookbooks.
                      It's interesting to read through what recipes I marked 15 years ago, vs. what I would mark now, since my cooking skills have changed drastically.
                      Often the only way I remember that I've made a recipe is because the page is dirty.

And I just bought Christoph Felder's 770 page book on Patisserie.
                      This. Now I have a favorites folder full of recipes online

Comment

A puzzle - I have the following items I need to use up: almonds, pecans, pine nuts, raisins, crystallized ginger bits, caramel chips, peanut butter chips, "salted caramel crunch", caramelized cacao nibs.

So far I have cookies with the nibs, caramel crunch and PB chips. Will probably just use the pine nuts in a crapload of pesto, since I have a lot of basil right now. Debating the merits of ginger + raisins. Not sure I like that combination (although, I am generally anti-raisin in baked goods anyway).

Comment

Raisins and almonds: Kaiserschmarrn

Om nom nom nom.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I tried my hand at making homemade spaghetti sauce last night, starting only with actual tomatoes and no pastes or sauces from a can. Two things to remember going forward:

1) I need a stock pot with a lid that fits, to help control the loss of moisture.
                            2) Turn down the heat after browning the Italian sausage.

I've yet to taste it, but I think I have some sort of Italian chili on my hands at this point. My girlfriend sent me a link to fix that issue, which I'll have to review when I get home from work. Hopefully, I've not gone beyond the point of no recovery.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I tried my hand at making homemade spaghetti sauce last night, starting only with actual tomatoes and no pastes or sauces from a can. Two things to remember going forward:

1) I need a stock pot with a lid that fits, to help control the loss of moisture.
                              Get one with the little air pressure hole. It helps regulate the moisture as well.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Get one with the little air pressure hole. It helps regulate the moisture as well.
                                I bought one on Amazon earlier today. Its lid has a venting hole that can be opened or sealed, depending upon need.

Comment

Working...
                                X