X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

What do you normally get?

Also, I completely agree. I once got to taste real brown sugar off a line at a sugar factory. Not the stuff that’s been centrifuged and had molasses added back. It’s got a different flavor that I really liked.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      What do you normally get?

Also, I completely agree. I once got to taste real brown sugar off a line at a sugar factory. Not the stuff that’s been centrifuged and had molasses added back. It’s got a different flavor that I really liked.
      I used to get Grandma Moses. Now I get Crosby's. We will see. I tried to diff batches with the junky stuff. Second time I was really careful with my measuring and still a disaster. When you are making paper thin cookies and the dough is totally inconsistent no matter how carefully mixed- um blech.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        I have discovered the brand of molasses really matters bought store brand to make the pepparkakor and it was a disaster.
        What is a good molasses?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          What is a good molasses?
          Obviously not Market Basket brand

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            LOL.

Our daughter went on a jihad against the Trader Joe's brand. I didn't get to taste the result but apparently it was a war crime.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              I use Grandma's.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                I use Grandma's.
                I'll second Grandma's. Brer Rabbit is good, too.

I try to avoid the store brands. Some are alright, others not so much. I had a jar of Food Lion brand that tasted like cheap pancake syrup that a wet dog had rolled around in. Not good eats.

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                  I'll second Grandma's. Brer Rabbit is good, too.

I try to avoid the store brands. Some are alright, others not so much. I had a jar of Food Lion brand that tasted like cheap pancake syrup that a wet dog had rolled around in. Not good eats.
                  Grandmas is not available around here for some reason

Comment

Peter Reinhart's soft cheese bread - I used the book, and not this recipe, but it's close.

I used cubed sharp cheddar, since I prefer to taste and see the cheese, and I did loaves (boule).

Just a little tip... if you use a stone, put a sheet of parchment over it, or you'll end up scraping burnt cheese off it.

I need to buy a peel.
                    Last edited by jen; 12-17-2017, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Christmas: unless I end up cooking for a crowd, I think I'll just serve a good steak dinner. Ribeye or NY strip?
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Ask the people you’re cooking for. Both are good cuts.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          Christmas: unless I end up cooking for a crowd, I think I'll just serve a good steak dinner. Ribeye or NY strip?
                          Either would be great. We almost always do tenderloin steaks for Christmas dinner which would be another great option.

Comment

I have some cute gingerbread icing decorations to use, so I made David Lebovitz' Guinness and Gingerbread cupcakes. Topping them with my caramel cream cheese maple rum glaze instead of frosting.

For Christmas dinner, I'm contributing Vegetarian lasagna, although I can't remember what vegetables I used last year.

For Christmas brunch (a new-ish family tradition), making Butter Pecan Kringle, some sort of cinnamon bread, and a berry coffee cake TBA.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                              I have some cute gingerbread icing decorations to use, so I made David Lebovitz' Guinness and Gingerbread cupcakes. Topping them with my caramel cream cheese maple rum glaze instead of frosting.

For Christmas dinner, I'm contributing Vegetarian lasagna, although I can't remember what vegetables I used last year.

For Christmas brunch (a new-ish family tradition), making Butter Pecan Kringle, some sort of cinnamon bread, and a berry coffee cake TBA.
                              I would like to be adopted.

Comment

I made the dark chocolate buttercrunch that jen had posted in her long list of cookies. So good.
                                Gave some to my mother-in-law as a gift. If I don't eat it all by Friday, some will go to Texas for my family to try.

Also had a major fail this weekend as the chex mix I was going to give away as gifts was not good. I have my family recipe mostly memorized, apparently I did not have the oven temperature memorized and I burned things. After I took it out to stir the first time it looked weird so I turned the temperature up, I should not have done that.
                                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Working...
                                X