Lucia Apologist

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Second person runs out with food...

"Well what the **** is that??"

"Salmon. Can you watch it??"

....god ****ing ****it....

wubba lubba dub dub

I had black licorice ice cream tonight at a local popcorn and ice cream shop. The taste was exactly as advertised. I liked it.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Went to Anna's House in Holland today for lunch. We got a free cinnamon roll because our food took so long in coming out... and the thing has to weigh at least 2 pounds. But the icing tastes great.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Veteran

Steak and Potato Skewers - these were really good, and not completely unhealthy (I got the recipe from some cookbook, I don't generally read Men's Health )

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I had black licorice ice cream tonight at a local popcorn and ice cream shop. The taste was exactly as advertised. I liked it.
    That sounds wonderful.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

The original Good Eats debuted 18 years ago today. Last night, Alton sent out this Tweet:

Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Lucia Apologist

He sent out one a month or so ago on Facebook that showed the chalkboard in the background with a theme and said they were doing shooting.

Lucia Apologist

Oh my god yes! Read the comments on his Facebook page. Lucky Yates will be back as well!!

That video gave me goosebumps.

Veteran

Brown Betty's Strawberry Cake recipe was an excellent use of my limited strawberry supply this year. I did cupcakes, and got 24 regular and 24 mini. Had to add a little more powdered sugar to the frosting to get it to smooth out, but it was still pretty light (sometimes too much powdered sugar makes frosting sickeningly sweet - not this one). This is better than my previous go-to strawberry cake recipe that included Jello - just used fresh or frozen strawberries for the strawberry flavor, and in both the cake and frosting. Lots of compliments.

And I put silver glittery stars on them to make them extra purdy.

Lucia Apologist

Strip steak and Parmesan rosemary fingerling potatoes on the grill.

It's going to be a good night.

I downsized from a house to an apartment, and the apartment came furnished with an electric stove. I've been able to figure out cooking on the stove, but baking is a bummer. The only thing I can think of so far is to cut baking times in half.

Edit: Or not. Tried baking peanut butter muffins for only 15 minutes and those muffins weren't done.
    Last edited by ShirtlessBob; 07-15-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Math atheist

It's trial and error. Also, if you don't have one already, get an oven thermometer. When it turn my oven on, my dial can sometimes be 25 degrees off from the oven temp.

Have only cooked/baked predominately with electric, so unfortunately I cannot help you. However, I have see my own mother struggle with the opposite transition (electric --> gas).

I would say that because gas is "instant" heat, that means the preheat time is considerably faster. So logically, the cooking times are faster. So that makes sense for your scenario. I would just keep an eye on baked goods for the first couple of months, until you have an idea of the minutes involved.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-15-2017 at 11:38 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

wubba lubba dub dub

The only difference between gas and electric - after the pot/pan has been brought up to temp - is that when you remove your pot/pan from the heat, you're just turning off the stove and not requiring more open space to safely place said pot/pan.

I grilled with a charcoal grill for the first time ever last night. It went a well, though the grill produced more smoke than I anticipated. And I likely grilled the burgers a little long, too.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Lucia Apologist

Zone your charcoal. I swear I'm the only one I see who does this (though I'm sure many do)

I push all of my coals over to one side of the grill so I can sear and then effectively bake whatever I'm grilling. Start hot and then move it all the way away from the coals. Both with the cover on.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Zone your charcoal. I swear I'm the only one I see who does this (though I'm sure many do)

I push all of my coals over to one side of the grill so I can sear and then effectively bake whatever I'm grilling. Start hot and then move it all the way away from the coals. Both with the cover on.
    It was a tiny grill, a travel grill I took to the drive-in theater. If I end up getting a full-size grill, zoning like you said is what I'd do. My brother does the same thing, for the record. Oh, just thinking about that, he makes great bacon wrapped jalepenos on them.

Lucia Apologist

As soon as I read your Vali Hi post in the other thread I realized that post became useless.

Just too lazy to come fix it.

Protip - even in the nicest lemon/caper/tomato/onion sauce in the world, will never cover-up the fact that the fish you're serving it with has been in your freezer for about six months. Thankfully, I was smart enough not to serve it to anyone but myself.

In the words of Gordon Ramsay, "Dreadful". Shame on me.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Protip - even in the nicest lemon/caper/tomato/onion sauce in the world, will never cover-up the fact that the fish you're serving it with has been in your freezer for about six months. Thankfully, I was smart enough not to serve it to anyone but myself.

In the words of Gordon Ramsay, "Dreadful". Shame on me.
    This sounds awful. there is nothing more nasty to imagine than fish gone bad

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    This sounds awful. there is nothing more nasty to imagine than fish gone bad
    It wasn't rotten (it had been frozen) - it didn't smell old when I pulled it out after defrosting it. It was just a bit freezer burned, and tasted "not fresh".

Like I said, I should've known better. Need to use up my freezer stores much faster, especially when it's fish.

Thread Information