Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2015 - Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB 2015 - Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!

Carry on my wayward sons!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: MLB 2015 - Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    carry on my wayward sons!

Comment

F this "ban defensive shift" crap. WTeFF?! Time clock I'm okay with. The shift ban? NOT OKAY. FAR FROM OKAY.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        F this "ban defensive shift" crap. WTeFF?! Time clock I'm okay with. The shift ban? NOT OKAY. FAR FROM OKAY.
        Agree, though I do think it's gotten out of hand. It's been increasing in past years, but whereas it took about a decade (from what I can remember) to go from 0 to 20, last year it went from 20 to going 85 in a 55. Just extreme and annoying. Half the Tigers lineup had a shift put against it and I'm pretty sure our third basemen ran a 5k each game going into right field for shifts.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Agree, though I do think it's gotten out of hand. It's been increasing in past years, but whereas it took about a decade (from what I can remember) to go from 0 to 20, last year it went from 20 to going 85 in a 55. Just extreme and annoying. Half the Tigers lineup had a shift put against it and I'm pretty sure our third basemen ran a 5k each game going into right field for shifts.
          Learn to hit better. Adjust. Don't handicap the strategy.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I gotta agree that the defensive shift ban is stupid (first I've heard of it is right now tho).

If hitters want to prevent the third baseman from playing SS and the left fielder from playing center field, then he needs to plant a couple right down the left field line. That'll teach 'em.

Learn to plant your feet when you swing to point the ball that way. I taught little leaguers to do that years ago.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

As for a pitch clock, I thought there were already time limits on the books for time to pitch/etc. Maybe umpires need to carry stopwatches and start calling the existing rules before they shoehorn more on?
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                As for a pitch clock, I thought there were already time limits on the books for time to pitch/etc. Maybe umpires need to carry stopwatches and start calling the existing rules before they shoehorn more on?
                The rule is open ended, from my understanding: "a reasonable time" sorta thing. Obviously not enforced, hence the hard-rule-change.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  They already do carry stopwatches. However, the only time I've ever seen one explicitly used was in like 2010 on some Indians pitcher. I want to say the ump actually gave an automatic ball for going over the limit, but for the most part umpires don't care as long as it's not taking forever. Plus, it's hard for the pitcher to get it off in 20 seconds when the batter is stepping out to readjust gloves/scratch crotch/take off uniform,put through rinse cycle,dry,iron,put back on,then readjust gloves after every pitch, but the MLBPA isn't playing nice in adopting the automatic strike rules that have been implemented in the minors and fall leagues.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    They already do carry stopwatches. However, the only time I've ever seen one explicitly used was in like 2010 on some Indians pitcher. I want to say the ump actually gave an automatic ball for going over the limit, but for the most part umpires don't care as long as it's not taking forever. Plus, it's hard for the pitcher to get it off in 20 seconds when the batter is stepping out to readjust gloves/scratch crotch/take off uniform,put through rinse cycle,dry,iron,put back on,then readjust gloves after every pitch, but the MLBPA isn't playing nice in adopting the automatic strike rules that have been implemented in the minors and fall leagues.
                    Agreed on the batter and their re-adjusting their body armor.

Comment

Subscribed because this commissioner is really starting off on the wrong foot
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Good God I'm out of it. I had no idea a new commissioner was even announced till yesterday. Guy has a Madonna-like gap between his front teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Learn to hit better. Adjust. Don't handicap the strategy.
                          Exactly. Learn to hit to the opposite field once in awhile and there won't be huge shifts. Or bunt. If you can't do that, then you deserve to face a shift.

Next they will draw little circles on the field and make the defensive players stand in them and not adjust for each hitter to "increase offense". Maybe they should make them play without gloves, too... that would increase offense
                          Last edited by jen; 01-26-2015, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                            Exactly. Learn to hit to the opposite field once in awhile and there won't be huge shifts. Or bunt. If you can't do that, then you deserve to face a shift.

Next they will draw little circles on the field and make the defensive players stand in them and not adjust for each hitter to "increase offense". Maybe they should make them play without gloves, too... that would increase offense
                            In limited overs cricket they have fielding restrictions (for 6 overs (36 balls) in 20 over matches and 10 overs (60 balls bowled) in 50 over matches) where you're limited on the number of fielders in the outfield. It increases the run rate. This works for me.

So for MLB for the first 3 innings, you can't shift and then the batting side can declare one more inning where the defensive team is not allowed to shift. And no shifts in extra innings.

Sounds shifty. I know.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I don't get how more offense speeds up a game. Pretty sure it does the opposite.

That must be under the "the game is too boring" mandate.

I'm all for being ready to hit/pitch before the inning break is over. Also on board with stronger enforcement of staying in the batters box or on the mound.

I'm against outlawing the shift unless it was already somewhere in the rules and a bit too grey to be enforced before.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                              X