X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Thread: New, Rental, Streaming

The Interview:

It was not as bad as it could have been, but it wasn't very good. It had its moments. I guess it's worth seeing if you're curious.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Re: Movie Thread: New, Rental, Streaming

I gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed the new Godzilla, and I was expecting to hate it.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      I gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed the new Godzilla, and I was expecting to hate it.
      Crap, I need to add that to my queue.

Side Effects:

Solid cast with Jude Law, Zeta-Jones, Rooney Mara, Channing Tatum. And I must say, it's a solid little movie. Definitely would recommend. About a wife (Mara) whose life completely changes after getting prescribed some anti-depression medicine by her doctor (Law).
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Saw American Sniper on Saturday. Don't want to try to politicize it, just want to try to talk about it simply in terms of a movie. This review describes my thoughts on it pretty well.

It's a true story so people already know the result, but so I don't ruin parts of the movie I'll put my review in spoilers:
        The line in the review about it being a shallow pool of water sums it up the most for me. It was a good movie but never really stuck anywhere. You could tell what Eastwood was trying for but just didn't hit the mark. His pre-war life story was done in like ten minutes. Something about the way PTSD was handled didn't sit right. I felt it was put out there too bluntly, like Clint was sitting right next to me screaming "THIS MAN HAS PTSD!!!" Never really let the audience find it on their own. If he felt he needed to skim over stuff like that because time constraints... then... well, this is a country whose favorite war movie is almost three hours long, he probably could've found an extra fifteen or twenty minutes to fit some more development in.

One of the biggest things that bugged me was the Mustafa subplot. He's based off "Juba", an alleged Sniper from Iraq, but even an army officer stated Juba most likely doesn't exist and is a legend created by soldiers in the Army that has grown into something of its own. Yet Eastwood added him in as a major character despite being given just a single paragraph in the biography, which Kyle states he never saw him let alone kill him.

Again, good film, but just some stuff that to me stopped it from being great.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Saw American Sniper on Saturday. Don't want to try to politicize it, just want to try to talk about it simply in terms of a movie. This review describes my thoughts on it pretty well.

Again, good film, but just some stuff that to me stopped it from being great. [/COLOR]
          I do want to see it badly, but I don't expect it to be better than say, Lone Survivor or Letters From Iwo Jima/We Were Soldiers, to choose semi-random war movies of this generation. I do despise that fat f* Moore on ripping snipers. I think the Seth Rogen comments were meant to be comedic, but in the wake of the Moore comments, people jumped on Rogen on pure reaction, without thought. I could see Rogen's train of thought, from what I've heard of American Sniper. I can't commit to one train of thought or the other, but I understand where Rogen is coming from.

Comment

I could understand someone in Moore's position if it wasn't coming from Moore. Michael knew what Michael was doing. He's got the same Bat Phone that Jackson, Palin, etc. have. Whenever it rings they know it's time to say something to troll America that will get their name in the media.

But that's probably for discussion in the Nice Planet thread or something of the like.

I also saw Superbad last weekend for the first time. Hilarious movie with an all-star cast. Kind of kicking myself I didn't see it before, because the time to quote/make references has probably passed.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I could understand someone in Moore's position if it wasn't coming from Moore. Michael knew what Michael was doing. He's got the same Bat Phone that Jackson, Palin, etc. have. Whenever it rings they know it's time to say something to troll America that will get their name in the media.

But that's probably for discussion in the Nice Planet thread or something of the like.

I also saw Superbad last weekend for the first time. Hilarious movie with an all-star cast. Kind of kicking myself I didn't see it before, because the time to quote/make references has probably passed.
              I know what Moore was doing, but it doesn't make it any less despicable. And Superbad was ok. Maybe better than average. I think it was overhyped before I saw it. *shrug* It is a movie that should be seen, preferably amongst friends while drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                I know what Moore was doing, but it doesn't make it any less despicable. And Superbad was ok. Maybe better than average. I think it was overhyped before I saw it. *shrug* It is a movie that should be seen, preferably amongst friends while drinking.
                That's exactly how it was seen. We threw it on after the Ravens-Pats game. Though one friend started drinking a little too early. Far too early, actually. Before the NFL games started to be exact. As you can probably imagine, he spent the last half hour of the movie in the bathroom.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

That's exactly how it was seen. We threw it on after the Ravens-Pats game. Though one friend started drinking a little too early. Far too early, actually. Before the NFL games started to be exact. As you can probably imagine, he spent the last half hour of the movie in the bathroom.
                  LOL. We may have had that situation last night. Beer Fest in MPLS that a friend went to, went from 0-hamboned as we were arriving at the post-fest bar. Cut off early.

Comment

Here's a fun article about a new book about an old movie about an old book.

Andre the Giant was pure legend. Wow.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

The Interview:

It was not as bad as it could have been, but it wasn't very good. It had its moments. I guess it's worth seeing if you're curious.
                      Watched it Saturday night. Agree with the assessment. It wasn't terrible, but it just seemed to be lacking.

A less funny, more bloody Spies Like Us.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Kidnapped for Christ.

Tough watch, but a very good movie. A fundy documentary filmmaker set out to make a sympathetic film about a religious school in DR where parents send their kids for $72k to address their "problems" through so-called "Christian Milieu Therapy." Midway through, she changed her mind. A very scary look at mind control and cult formation.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 01-26-2015, 11:50 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I do want to see it badly, but I don't expect it to be better than say, Lone Survivor or Letters From Iwo Jima/We Were Soldiers, to choose semi-random war movies of this generation. I do despise that fat f* Moore on ripping snipers. I think the Seth Rogen comments were meant to be comedic, but in the wake of the Moore comments, people jumped on Rogen on pure reaction, without thought. I could see Rogen's train of thought, from what I've heard of American Sniper. I can't commit to one train of thought or the other, but I understand where Rogen is coming from.
                          I saw it last night. It's very equivalent to Lone Survivor in my opinion.

I didn't come away from the movie with a feeling that it was meant as jingoistic, patriotic fluff piece, although the ending was similar to Lone Survivor's in terms of paying homage to the real story characters. Instead, I was generally left with the impression that it just sucks to be a soldier in places like that.

My primary criticism of this movie, and others like it (see: Lone Survivor) is that they'd be much better as documentaries. Just tell the story. The story is interesting, maybe even compelling in places.

But when you try to create some dramatic arc where one never really existed, it just feels contrived.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            I saw it last night. It's very equivalent to Lone Survivor in my opinion.

I didn't come away from the movie with a feeling that it was meant as jingoistic, patriotic fluff piece, although the ending was similar to Lone Survivor's in terms of paying homage to the real story characters. Instead, I was generally left with the impression that it just sucks to be a soldier in places like that.

My primary criticism of this movie, and others like it (see: Lone Survivor) is that they'd be much better as documentaries. Just tell the story. The story is interesting, maybe even compelling in places.

But when you try to create some dramatic arc where one never really existed, it just feels contrived.
                            Restrepo -- tells the story in a very compelling manner.
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Took the kids to see the new Night At The Museum and we all thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is. Silly fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X