This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread: New, Rental, Streaming

If Jurassic World ends up being a hit, it'll put Chris Pratt in the "print his own money" club... I'm holding out hope that there is a good story in there, but the main attraction for me is the popcorn factor... I just want 1:45 of entertainment...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Last Days in Vietnam, Rory Kennedy (2014)

Excellent, Oscar nominated documentary that can be watched online at PBS.org: Last Days in Vietnam
      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
        Finally watched Gone with the Wind last night. Agreed. Especially anything after Bonnie Belle arrives. Ugh. It's like they wanted to come up with stuff to make it longer. I talked to my mother at intermission (she's the one that talked me into watching it), and mentioned that I did not like one single person in the movie. She said I'd like at least one character by the end, but probably not a main one. She was right - Big Sam. Melanie grew on me in the second half, but she was a little too pathetic. Not as pathetic as Scarlett, though. All that being said, I still enjoyed the movie as a whole.

But I really think they should have ended after Rhett's line "frankly, I don't give a ****". I don't want to know that Scarlett goes on. I want her to keep suffering for being a terrible person.
        But But Superman is in the opening scene! How can GWTW be a bad movie?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Many years ago, I saw a movie, European made though I can't remember where, which involved two cellists--sisters I believe. The movie had some darkness to it but was largely about the music. I cannot remember the title or even much of the plot, and I can't dig it up using google. I just remember it was good and long enough ago that I would probably enjoy it again. I thought it might have had the word "blue" in the title, but struck out on that.

Anyone?
          Last edited by burd; 05-22-2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            Many years ago, I saw a movie, European made though I can't remember where, which involved two cellists--sisters I believe. The movie had some darkness to it but was largely about the music. I cannot remember the title or even much of the plot, and I can't dig it up using google. I just remember it was good and long enough ago that I would probably enjoy it again. I thought it might have had the word "blue" in the title, but struck out on that.

Anyone?
            This? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilary_and_Jackie
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Could be, bigblue. I'll have to watch it to know for sure. Thank you.

Comment

Watched "No-No: A Dockumentary" which is a doc about Dock Ellis (the guy who pitched a no-hitter while on LSD).

I really liked it. Doesn't sugar-coat anything, really, which was a plus. Favorite quote, paraphrased:

Dock: They knew I was high [during the no-hitter], but they didn't know how high I was, or what I was on. I mean, I was always high on the mound.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Watched "No-No: A Dockumentary" which is a doc about Dock Ellis (the guy who pitched a no-hitter while on LSD).

I really liked it. Doesn't sugar-coat anything, really, which was a plus. Favorite quote, paraphrased:

Dock: They knew I was high [during the no-hitter], but they didn't know how high I was, or what I was on. I mean, I was always high on the mound.
                  Watched it about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was good too. Having dabbled in drugs myself back in the late 70's I really don't how the hell he pitched a no-no on acid. Crazy.
                  Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                    Watched it about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was good too. Having dabbled in drugs myself back in the late 70's I really don't how the hell he pitched a no-no on acid. Crazy.
                    In my college days, I baby-sat (so to speak) a roommate who dropped the 'cid (pre-drop request by roommate). How Dock did what he did...friggin' crazy.

I loved the CIN Reds story, about how he was going to hit every batter. I didn't know about that little anecdote. Friggin' hilarious.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                      "Effectively wild" I think they call it. He threw the ball behind the batter a few times.
                      Last edited by state of hockey; 05-23-2015, 12:53 AM.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

If Mad Max: Fury Road was re-done with Mario Kart instead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAxFjVCkpRY
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Tomorrowland on IMAX. Visually pleasing but imho it was a hot mess.

Comment

The Dark Valley

Austrian western about a mysterious stranger who isn't necessarily wanted around, but before he leaves, he wreaks a little havoc. Reminded me a lot of High Plains Drifter (at least the style of the plot). Pretty solid movie.

Comment

It's a rainy Sunday here, so I'm killing time watching movies. Defiance, starring James Bond and Liev Schreiber as the brothers Tuvia and Zus Bielski (a third brother too, but not an actor I know) who led an Otriad in Belarus against Nazi occupation. It covers the first of three years they spent hiding Jews in the forests of Belarus. Once characters are introduced it's fairly easy to see the outcome of various plot points in the script, but this is based upon a true story, the Bielski brothers did exist as did their fight against the Nazis. The movie was a a solid testament to their story.

Here's a little bit of history on the Bielskis, a short web page, if you're interested.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Bandolero!:

Solid western about a posse chasing some robbers through "bandit country" in Mexico. My only peeve was Raquel Welch as a Mexican. Not exactly the best job acting in this one. Sure is nice to look at, though.

Flu:

Basically the Asian version of Contagion, except 1000x more insane/intense. And when I say insane, I mean that while relating to Asian over-the-top-ness in general. Excellent watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X