X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread: New, Rental, Streaming

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    As I understand it Marvel is not going to bother with an origin story for Spiderman. He'll come into Civil War, everyone knows who he is, and they'll just glide him in.

As for the standalone film for Spiderman. I look forward to it. If I were them I would do the Green Goblin and get it right. Shove the crap that everyone else has done right down their throats. My guess is that probably won't happen, but it's my dream.
    I wouldnt get your hopes up, Sony still has the final say about what the solos are. (and are the ones distributing them)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      Yeah...but only if Robert Vaughan and David McCallum have cameos
      would it be too cute if McCallum played a medical examiner, and Vaughan a spokesperson for a law firm?
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Man From UNCLE is one of those shows I heard about as a kid, but I've never once seen an episode. I've never even seen an episode listed on TV Guide back when my parents got TV Guide.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I wouldnt get your hopes up, Sony still has the final say about what the solos are. (and are the ones distributing them)
          From what I've seen, Sony gets all the money from their solo movies and Marvel gets all the money from their movies with Spidey. So really, the big winner will be the actor that's chosen to play him. Unless I saw some misinformation.
          Old Monster Records

Comment

Recent viewings... Haven’t seen (or at lease recall) reviews on these posted, so here’s my public service contribution (as if my opinion matters! ):

The Boy Next Door: I want that hour-and-a-half of my life back. A definite waste of time. If you must watch it, compelled only by the need for some “eye-candy” (Jennifer Lopez or Ryan Guzman, depending on your preference), watch only the first ½-hour, muted, then turn it off. The final hour is simply not worth it (and to be honest, neither is that first ½-hour!).

Taken 3: I can only hope that this third installment has completely exhausted all ideas, and it is the final release of this ‘series’. If there must be a fourth, it should be limited to a Sci-Fi channel production titled “Takin4”, and come-complete with drinking game instructions... much like Sharknado2.

John Wick: A “F^@# YEAH!!!” action flick for dudes. I equated this one in entertainment value to Road House (1989) without the sappy love-story... and more guns.

Cheers,
            ~TTF
            Dave
            RIT - '90

Comment

Two oldies:

Swing Time (1936). Fred and Ginger. Not as famous as some of their other big hits, but I enjoyed it and would recommend highly. The American songbook classic "The Way You Look Tonight" was written for this film, and the "dancing school" number to "Pick Yourself Up" is great. Ginger is more vulnerable that in the other Astaire partnerships for some reason, and there are fewer "trick" numbers allowing us to see just how harmonious they were. A-.

The Awful Truth (1937). Cary Grant and Irene Dunn snipe at and sabotage each other in the lead-up to their divorce. In parts extremely funny, with great dialog. In parts very gentle and sweet, particularly Dunne who steals the second half of the film. If you're a fan of the period, a must. If you have never seen a comedy from the period, I recommend it though second to another Grant role, His Girl Friday (1940), which I defy anyone -- even the youngins -- not to love. Solid A.
              Last edited by Kepler; 02-13-2015, 12:10 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                From what I've seen, Sony gets all the money from their solo movies and Marvel gets all the money from their movies with Spidey. So really, the big winner will be the actor that's chosen to play him. Unless I saw some misinformation.
                Nope that is exactly right. Marvel basically is renting him for their MCU movies (and might allow their characters in Sony movies) and Kevin Feige will help produce the Sony Threeboot.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Greatest Show On Earth:

First off, what a production! Amazing in that aspect. As for the movie itself, I thought it was very good, and I was entertained throughout the whole movie. Definitely worth a watch!
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Sweeney

British cops/robbers movie about an elite cop squad that doesn't necessarily follow standard protocol. Pretty average, but good enough to kill an afternoon.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

The Elephant Man

FINALLY saw this; took Netflix forever to get it. Excellent movie. There were a couple super-artsy-fartsy moments that I disliked, but overall I fully enjoyed the movie. Hopkins was excellent, of course.

Comment

Defiance:

Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber (Liev is a very under-rated actor, btw) star in this, as WWII-era Jews who combat the enemy, while living in Belorussian forests. Pretty heavy movie, despite a bit of Hollywood-ization. Definitely worth a watch.

Comment

I think I'm gonna check out Kingsman: The Secret Service this week.... The previews peaked my interest and it seems to be receiving favorable reviews for being a popcorn flick... Anyone venture to check it out?
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            I think I'm gonna check out Kingsman: The Secret Service this week.... The previews peaked my interest and it seems to be receiving favorable reviews for being a popcorn flick... Anyone venture to check it out?
                            Going Tuesday. Seems like the only decent thing playing other than 'What We Do in The Shadows' but that kind of mess can wait till video.

Comment

Force Majeure (2014) -- best movie I've seen in a decade, with possibly the best acting I've seen ever. Very quiet, very subtle, beautiful cinematography. The two leads (Johannes Kuhnke, Lisa Loven Kongsli) are the most believable people I've ever seen on screen -- theater-level acting, and Kubrick-level direction. A+
                              Last edited by Kepler; 02-15-2015, 07:06 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Quiet Man

What a splendid movie! The back and forth banter is classic. DX would love this movie, I think, given his fandom for "His Girl Friday" (which I also love and own).

Comment

Working...
                                X