This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Speaking of kids born after the 99 final, has Drew Elser signed yet?
    Nothing yet on his Twitter account (seriously).

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats Official Wait til Next Year...14/15 thread

Since last April, Borek has helped obtain verbal commitments from three top players from the Selects Hockey Academy at South Kent School U16 team - Joey Cipollone, Jake Ryczek and Joel Farabee. This year, Farabee scored 33 regular season points (8G, 25A) in the USPHL U16 Division while Elser scored 29 (21G, 8A).
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        Since last April, Borek has helped obtain verbal commitments from three top players from the Selects Hockey Academy at South Kent School U16 team - Joey Cipollone, Jake Ryczek and Joel Farabee. This year, Farabee scored 33 regular season points (8G, 25A) in the USPHL U16 Division while Elser scored 29 (21G, 8A).
        Lemme see...hmm can't wait for these guys to join us as most likely, I'll be retired from teaching haha! And I see from all the retweets on twitter Farabee is 15 today...Great seasons these boys are having!
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          In the old days, US Hockey Report was usually the first to break news about a recruit committing. The name would then show up on the CH spread sheet at some later point.
          Nowadays, the youngster announces his commitment on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            May I please have BOTH Farabee and Elser? The thing about those assist stats, somebody else on the ice was capable of putting the puck in the net. Great setups make it easier, but still ...

If Downing centered Collins and Saviano (nevermind Krog and Haydar) he'd probably have 150 point career.

As someone suggested earlier, MORE FINNS!
            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
              May I please have BOTH Farabee and Elser? The thing about those assist stats, somebody else on the ice was capable of putting the puck in the net. Great setups make it easier, but still ...

If Downing centered Collins and Saviano (nevermind Krog and Haydar) he'd probably have 150 point career.

I would take Adam Oats. :-)

Pretty funny that most of their tweets are wishing one another happy birthday, eh, Ref. If only we could be 15 again.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post

Joel Farabee is #28 in the red and black jersey:

http://youtu.be/2JOh8vA7zlg

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post

At some point, you are responsible for creating your own offense. Agree that Downing's scoring numbers could have benefitted from being surrounded by more talented players ... but a guy like Krog had a pretty routine frosh season (UNH's first in the Whitt, and their only losing season since the move until recently), and then stepped up with two 60 point seasons when Derek Bekar was also breaking out into a top-notch D-1 forward on his left wing. Krog and Bekar were classmates, but when Bekar left to turn pro after their junior seasons (which ended with the '98 Frozen Four semis 4-0 loss to eventual champs Michigan) and Krog stayed for his senior season, the thinking was that Krog might struggle to maintain his output with Bekar being absent. *Struggling* turned out to be 80+ points and a Hobey Baker Trophy, aided by a poor man's Bekar in the aforementioned Mike Souza, and a star frosh named Darren Haydar.

Downing is a talented kid no doubt, but to mention him in the same breath as Krog OR Saviano is flattering to GD, and an injustice to guys like Krog and Saviano, who did so much more for their teams than just post numbers (not to mention Krog and Saviano were better all-around centermen, so Downing would have had to play wing with those guys).

Snively65 - I was referring to the "drubbing" by ND in '08. Too many post-season "drubbings" and seismic upsets by D-1 nobodies (with all due respect to those programs ) still stick in the craw of many older, disaffected UNH fans, who see a pattern and hold that stuff against Coach Umile. I don't entirely agree, but I don't entirely disagree with them either (how's that for some top-notch fence-sitting?) but that's a familiar theme out there beyond these boards. There are literally dozens of people I know personally from the old days who will tell you point blank they will not return - ever - unless/until there is a change at the top.

Extreme? Maybe. But it's real, and we only see the tip of the iceberg here on USCHO. The rest is seen not only in the empty seats at The Whitt, but the disappearance of the thousands-long waiting list (remember that?) for season tix from the glory days.

I'll cease and desist at this point, before I ruin BS35+1's good-times buzz from the upsurge in Men's Hoops across the street ...
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Last regular season pre-game notes:

http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2...20150225kd7fep

Cool facts in this one like how Casey Thrush hasn't missed a game in ...You'll have to read it to find out . Anyhoo bring on 'Mack! Sat night's game is of course Senior night with recognition prior to the 5pm start btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      I get your "seriously". Casey Middlestadt (a 98) announced on Twitter that he was Gopher-bound before he played a game of HS hockey.

Regarding Adam "Oats".... I'd recruit Hall and Oates if it meant we'd get a season of capacity crowds.

Being around when Savo Mitrovic was skating at Snively, I'm not opposed to searching the Eastern Bloc for hardware-ready recruits, BTW
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I'll cease and desist at this point, before I ruin BS35+1's good-times buzz from the upsurge in Men's Hoops across the street ...
                        Don't forget....

- ranked #7 in Capital One Cup
                        - women's gymnastics ranked 25th nationally
                        - men's soccer goalie signed for DC United today
                        - ridiculous FB recruiting class on signing day

All that and $3.95 will get you a coffee at the Starbuck's at the PTP School, if you're a UNH hockey fan. BUT, it IS a way he is measured....
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post

Regarding Adam "Oats".... I'd recruit Hall and Oates if it meant we'd get a season of capacity crowds.
                          Ha, ha, ha; I must have been still thinking about breakfast. But, Taylor Hall skipped college, right?

Comment

Sooo Daniel Winnick off to Pittsbugh wonder if he'll play with the team tight on Wed Night Rivalry??

Ps On the pregame they just called Winnick a "grinder" agree Chuck? 😉

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Ps On the pregame they just called Winnick a "grinder" agree Chuck? 😉
                              Not speaking for Chuck, but as far as Winnik at the pro level I think its pretty hard to argue otherwise. Obviously he was much more than a grinder at UNH, but roles and expectations change as one moves up a level or two. That fact seems to have been lost on some talent evaluators both on this board and more importantly beyond it.
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Downing is a talented kid no doubt, but to mention him in the same breath as Krog OR Saviano is flattering to GD.
                                Hey, what's a little flattery from the fans for a hard-working senior?

I think you'd agree with my intended point, perhaps not well made, that they'll see more success with complementary parts.
                                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X