X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats Official Wait til Next Year...14/15 thread

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Do we? Not trying to outwardly insult or be hoky-ied.
    No, I hear ya. There's always room for improvement, of course but I do feel that the youngsters are learning, via baptism by fire.

While it's a bit too early to speculate - I wonder whom will emerge as leaders for the 2015-16 team?
    UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      No, I hear ya. There's always room for improvement, of course but I do feel that the youngsters are learning, via baptism by fire.

While it's a bit too early to speculate - I wonder whom will emerge as leaders for the 2015-16 team?
      No it isn't. Another weekend like last and it will be all we have left. Excepting Pesce, assuming he is healthy and still in Durham, perhaps it would be best if it is other than a Senior or at least shared by other than Seniors. I'd love Kelleher to continue improving on the ice, which will happen, and take a big leadership leap on and off the ice, bringing next year's Sophomores along for the ride.

BTW, why has Maller not been playing? Sick? Healthy scratch?
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        BC 6-1-1 in 2015, up to 13 in the PWR.
        You and Chuck are correct, I should have written off semester. And, York has had plenty of those fall semesters before as he has had to develop freshmen quickly to replace players who have gone pro after two or three years. Seems that his freshmen are on track to make big contributions the rest of the way this season also. Lot of parity in the HEA top five now, with a couple of others coming on strong, too.

Comment

Mike Ayers

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            Did you say excited?
            Haha, touche!

I should say I'm excited about many of the players in the prospect pool - but less convinced everyday that the most 'exciting talents' will be brought in next year or given immediate run if they are. Its time to give the younger talent in the program and in the pipeline the major roles and turn this thing around. There are certainly plenty of blue collar, honest, hard-working and responsible players in the prospect pool, too, however...
            Last edited by Dan; 01-27-2015, 02:39 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Uh oh Dan you better watch it with words like that...they are indicative of "Phyliss" like behavior and we will have none of that here!
              Hey Ref - I'm not 100% sure, but I think 'watcher was juxtaposing Dan's "excitement" with the incoming recruits in one part of his post, and then describing said same recruits later in the post as "another relatively weak recruiting year".

I feel like I'm the 'watcher whisperer on here today ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                Mike Ayers
                Works for me.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Hey Ref - I'm not 100% sure, but I think 'watcher was juxtaposing Dan's "excitement" with the incoming recruits in one part of his post, and then describing said same recruits later in the post as "another relatively weak recruiting year".

I feel like I'm the 'watcher whisperer on here today ...
                  haha Chuck and I'm just trying to have some fun, make it light here! I got it...believe it or not
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                    From the NHL Central Scouting Service:

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...e-in-oakville/
                    That's reassuring CHC - but will he be as effective defensively at UNH as a fourth-year senior? The current upperclassmen cannot match his offensive upside - but will that be enough for him to play right away, while earning Umile's trust and improving on his defensive play within the UNH system? The UNH coaches seem SO invested in forward defense these days (its why Kelleher played on the fourth line the second half of last season, despite his offensive upside) - frankly, part of me is starting to miss the days when UNH would routinely score 5 goals to lose 6-5 (it sure beats getting shut out!)...

I hope Vela gets his shot next fall. I also hope BVR gets his shot next fall - and that others are right about his immediate playing time. I hope, hope, hope that they bring in Blackburn, Vela and BVR - give Kelleher, the sophs and the new freshman group the key minutes and key roles - and struggle through another year in 2015-16. Because if they do that I think they're back on track in 2016-17 when they can supplement another year of experience with the addition of some combination of Grasso, Cippolone, Nazarian and Fregona.

If they continue to rely on the older, higher floor (in the short term) recruits and players we're in for a MUCH longer rebuild...
                    Last edited by Dan; 01-27-2015, 03:02 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Haha, touche!

I should say I'm excited about many of the players in the prospect pool - but less convinced everyday that the most 'exciting talents' will be brought in next year or given immediate run if they are. Its time to give the younger talent in the program and in the pipeline the major roles and turn this thing around. There are certainly plenty of blue collar, honest, hard-working and responsible players in the prospect pool, too, however...
                      Bring them ALL in early .... integrate them with the experienced players who "earn it" .... consider hiring new leadership .... market it all as a "beginning" .... what's to lose. I heard this from a shaman who has begun the last 25% of his anticipated century on this planet.

Comment

Well good to see you here today sir. You make a valid point it HAS been a more difficult season than I think we anticipated. Maybe we got ahead of ourselves here and there when the 'Cats beat teams early on like Michigan, UNO, PC. Their past two weekends have been abysmal in some regards, true. We've still got some hockey left tho so here's hoping some good stuff comes along. At any rate, our young group keeps on getting experience, our Senior Downing will get his Century Club mark, and with just one more win, Coach U gets his 550 milestone. Sure those are simplistic things and I know they don't matter to many, but, it's something. I can't be worried about what we don't have. That doesn't change what's in front of us now. Keep on keeping on!
                        Hey Ref, not to speak for Watcher, but he likes the youth behind the bench Yorkie has brought in. He is also in the "fire Umile" camp and bring in a younger coach. I don't think Umile wants to go out under current circumstances but I think he wants to hang on a couple of more years and make another run at it. Time is running out fast though!!!!
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                          Bring them ALL in early .... integrate them with the experienced players who "earn it" .... consider hiring new leadership .... market it all as a "beginning" .... what's to lose. I heard this from a shaman who has begun the last 25% of his anticipated century on this planet.
                          Sounds like a plan..while you were at it did you ask said shaman about a decent brand of Sage that might work to achieve said things? 😉
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I don't think its too early at all.

From 1997 through 2011 UNH made the NCAA tourney every year except 2001. (Thanks for nothing Maine.) That 2001 team had an abundance of what you might call "depth guys" i.e. Swain, Ficek, Rogers, Austin, etc. (BTW, just because they are depth guys doesn't mean they can't contribute. For instance Rogers scored a big goal in the HE title game as a sophomore.) Anyway by the second half of that season it was clear that it had become much more Lanny Gare and Colin Hemingway's team, guys who were just sophomores. UNH went to the Frozen Four the next two seasons.

Now there are obvious differences. Missing the NCAA's once in 15 years is light years removed from the depths we are in today. That team still had Darren Haydar who bounced back in his senior year as the part around him developed. There are no Darrens on the current roster,(though a few Jeffs.) And I don't expect anyone is predicting any postseason success anytime soon.

But the overall point remains the same - it is never too early to look ahead, especially in a season such as this one. I guess the obvious comparison/question is can Kellher and a freshman or two make this their team moving forward.

Of course, in hindsight, you have to wonder what the 2000-2001 team might have done if Steve Saviano hadn't played in less than half of its games....
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I hope Vela gets his shot next fall. I also hope BVR gets his shot next fall - and that others are right about his immediate playing time. I hope, hope, hope that they bring in Blackburn, Vela and BVR - give Kelleher, the sophs and the new freshman group the key minutes and key roles - and struggle through another year in 2015-16. Because if they do that I think they're back on track in 2016-17 when they can supplement another year of experience with the addition of some combination of Grasso, Cippolone, Nazarian and Fregona....
                              That would be fun to watch.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Sounds like a plan..while you were at it did you ask said shaman about a decent brand of Sage that might work to achieve said things? 😉
                                "We" are way beyond the potential impact of sage ......

Comment

Working...
                                X