X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2014-15 Volume 2: Red's Revenge

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
    Great observations. The power shift in college hockey has been nothing short of bizarre. Penn State going out and beating traditional powerhouses and almost winning the BIG??? Didn't they just start up their program??? Then you have the "no-names".....Q, Union, etc, etc.......winning and making a splash on the national scene. There was a time about a decade ago that I thought that no one could break through into the perennial powerhouse stranglehold......boy, was I wrong!

It's hard to figure out what IS really important to hockey recruits these days as there are a variety of programs that are having success.......they don't all play in super facilities, and don't all have great fan support, and aren't all in superior locations........maybe it's the coaching staffs?
    I think a big part of it is the new NHL CBA. I don't know all the details but believe it's a lot cheaper to sign college kids than it was 10 years ago. One of my theories is that in today's game you basically only get one good season out of a college player then he is gone. There are obviously exceptions to that but look at a guy like Vatrano, he had just a decent season last year and the Bruins signed him. Another factor is guys like Gaudreau who wouldn't have been able to handle the physicality of the NHL 10 or 15 years ago can thrive in the league now. Nyquist is another example of a guy who wouldn't have lasted in the 'old NHL.'

I wonder what increasing the number of scholarships would do. The price of college has obviously gone through the roof in recent times and I wonder if this has discouraged some kids. Even if you get a half ride you are still looking at a huge bill. I think it might be better if the limit was increased to 25 and there was no dividing them up.

I think each kid chooses a school for different reasons. A lot of them probably don't even know themselves why they choose a certain school, a certain one just feels right.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      I think a big part of it is the new NHL CBA. I don't know all the details but believe it's a lot cheaper to sign college kids than it was 10 years ago. One of my theories is that in today's game you basically only get one good season out of a college player then he is gone. There are obviously exceptions to that but look at a guy like Vatrano, he had just a decent season last year and the Bruins signed him. Another factor is guys like Gaudreau who wouldn't have been able to handle the physicality of the NHL 10 or 15 years ago can thrive in the league now. Nyquist is another example of a guy who wouldn't have lasted in the 'old NHL.'

I wonder what increasing the number of scholarships would do. The price of college has obviously gone through the roof in recent times and I wonder if this has discouraged some kids. Even if you get a half ride you are still looking at a huge bill. I think it might be better if the limit was increased to 25 and there was no dividing them up.

I think each kid chooses a school for different reasons. A lot of them probably don't even know themselves why they choose a certain school, a certain one just feels right.
      If your a Jack Eichel or a Paul Kariya your one and done...but most of the good to better players go 3 years...the ones that bolt before that had no intentions of going to School & Hockey at the same time...the NHL CBA has changed some with the teams retaining there rights right till after there Senior season...then the Draftee can opt out and go the Free Agent route from the team that drafted him at age 18. But if you notice the norm is 3 years and the NHL Club wants to move the players development to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

The biggest factor in the CBA is that a team only holds the rights of a drafted player until August of his senior year. If they can't sign the kid by then he becomes a free agent. Some players use that to their advantage if they don't like the franchise that drafted them.

That being said, if a kid is a very good prospect, the NHL club will try to get him signed after his junior year to prevent losing him to FA. The signing usually pays a signing bonus. If the player makes the big club he gets a higher salary. If he's sent to the AHL the salary is capped, I believe at around 66K/year. If the player doesn't have a shot at the big club or AHL, it makes little sense to leave school.

As far as the theory, getting 'one good year out of a college player then he's gone'. I can't speak for other programs, but I can recall what has happened at BC. The last player to leave after just one year was Chuck Kobasew in 2001.
        3 years at BC: Chris Kreider, Nate Gerbe, Johnny Gaudreau, Cam Atkinson, Corey Schneider and many more
        4 years at BC: Brian Gionta, Brian Boyle, Kevin Hayes and many more

Most BC guys stay at least 3 years. We may see a first year guy (Hanifin) or 2nd year guy (McCoshen) leave this season, but we'll see.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Someone said Lake Superior on another board......hopefully, they are not the "glamour" team.
          That was me. A worst-case scenario is something like RPI, Holy Cross, Lake State and Maine. I doubt the NCAA would do that with the Icebreaker. I hope we'll see Denver from the NCHC and Michigan State from the B1G. That will give Maine direct links to each team - Josh Henke will be at Lake State (plus a '93 title game rematch), Travis Walsh will be a senior at Michigan State (plus all the Walsh/Mason history) and Jim Montgomery is coaching Denver (renewing an old rivalry?). That's all speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            That was me. A worst-case scenario is something like RPI, Holy Cross, Lake State and Maine. I doubt the NCAA would do that with the Icebreaker. I hope we'll see Denver from the NCHC and Michigan State from the B1G. That will give Maine direct links to each team - Josh Henke will be at Lake State (plus a '93 title game rematch), Travis Walsh will be a senior at Michigan State (plus all the Walsh/Mason history) and Jim Montgomery is coaching Denver (renewing an old rivalry?). That's all speculation.
            Yeah, Michigan State would be a great team to have in the tournament. Can't go wrong with Denver either.

Comment

Great observations. The power shift in college hockey has been nothing short of bizarre. Penn State going out and beating traditional powerhouses and almost winning the BIG??? Didn't they just start up their program??? Then you have the "no-names".....Q, Union, etc, etc.......winning and making a splash on the national scene. There was a time about a decade ago that I thought that no one could break through into the perennial powerhouse stranglehold......boy, was I wrong!

It's hard to figure out what IS really important to hockey recruits these days as there are a variety of programs that are having success.......they don't all play in super facilities, and don't all have great fan support, and aren't all in superior locations........maybe it's the coaching staffs?
              I bet all those no-names are spending more money on hockey than Maine does.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                I bet all those no-names are spending more money on hockey than Maine does.
                You could be right but I find that hard to believe. Quinnipiac might.......they've got lots of $$$ and aren't afraid to spend it on athletics. Union?.....I doubt it. I don't think that any of the other ECAC programs do either. In Hockey East......does Merrimack, UMass-Lowell, Vermont or Providence spend more money on hockey than Maine?......I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  If your a Jack Eichel or a Paul Kariya your one and done....
                  Actually, Paul Kariya wasn't one and done. He returned to UMaine for his sophomore year and then, as expected, he left in mid-season to join the Canadian Olympic team.

Comment

The Icebreaker is in Portland October 9 & 10 and the teams are Lake State, Michigan St., North Dakota, and Maine I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                      The Icebreaker is in Portland October 9 & 10 and the teams are Lake State, Michigan St., North Dakota, and Maine I believe.
                      That would be sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        They are already set. Maine will play Yale on the first night, Princeton on the second. Also, the tournament is no longer in Newark at the Pru. They have moved it to the Sun national Bank Center in Trenton. Most likely because attendance didn't warrant an NHL arena. Sun Bank is only 8600 capacity.

So there will be 22 league games, the Icebreaker, Liberty Hockey Invitational and a pair at Union. That accounts for 28 of the 36 games Maine can play next season.
                        I'll be there.

Trenton is not Paris, but the traffic to and fro isn't the Hell that the GSP/NJTP often is in the Newark vicinity. (Even from Maine! Consider 287 West before even crossing the NY/NJ border.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          I'll be there.

Trenton is not Paris, but the traffic to and fro isn't the Hell that the GSP/NJTP often is in the Newark vicinity. (Even from Maine! Consider 287 West before even crossing the NY/NJ border.)
                          Trenton? Better be packing...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            I'll be there.

Just take the train!

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                              Trenton? Better be packing...
                              Fewer rounds need to be packed, as opposed to the periphery of Newark IMO.

Comment

Well Whistlin' Dick got UHN's season turned around and a trip to the Garden with a less talented roster than Red had......just sayin.

Comment

Working...
                                X