Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet IX: Oh that's just GREAT...

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Sheeple are too stupid to do that, and so the bars take advantage. Actually, if you look in some menus, they don't put the prices for cocktails, mostly because they know that if the customer knew what the price was, they wouldn't order it. And it's not limited to bars, either. Denny's will do the same thing with orange juice and coffee.
    Don't frequent Denny's, so I can't speak to that. But as for beer or mixed drinks, I think very few people actually make pricing distinctions, especially with respect to their mixed drinks. They drink what they like. Beyond making a point of going to "happy hour" for some generic special, I don't think people care.

Personally, I haven't made an alcohol decision based upon price since Buck Pitchers at the Mr. Spud in East Grand Forks well over 30 years ago.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Loser!

Disgraced professional cyclist Lance Armstrong has been charged with crashing into two parked cars in the Colorado ski resort town of Aspen, with his girlfriend initially telling authorities that she was driving, police reports showed on Tuesday.
      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Do NOT EVER pull your motor vehicle onto railroad tracks unless there is clear space on the other side!!

In this case, the natural consequence for stupidity was death. Unfortunately, it wasn't only the stupid person who died, almost half-a-dozen innocent people were taken down too.

Six people were killed and 15 injured when a Metro-North train slammed into an SUV dashing across the tracks in Westchester Tuesday night, causing a massive explosion and fire that trapped rush-hour commuters inside, sources said. The Harlem Line train was heading toward the Hawthorne station when a woman driving a black Jeep Cherokee tried to cross the tracks and was bulldozed.

The impact unhinged the electrified third rail, which pierced the lead car and caused a blast that ripped apart the passenger compartment, where five of the victims died, sources said. The driver of the Jeep also died.

The deadly chain of events began as the crossing-barricade arm came down on the back of the Cherokee on Commerce Street, a witness said.

Instead of backing up, the driver — who was stopped in traffic caused by an earlier car accident — continued to cross the tracks, after first getting out to check the damage to her SUV.

“I’m signaling and yelling for her to back up and reverse, and I’m thinking the clock is ticking here,” said Richard Hope, who was driving behind her. “But she gets back in her car and starts driving forward over the tracks.”

The Jeep didn’t get far — and was pulverized by train.

“The train hit her the second she drove over,” Hope said.
        Unbelievable stupidity!
        Last edited by FreshFish; 02-04-2015, 09:14 PM.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Do NOT EVER pull your motor vehicle onto railroad tracks unless there is clear space on the other side!!

In this case, the natural consequence for stupidity was death. Unfortunately, it wasn't only the stupid person who died, almost half-a-dozen innocent people were taken down too.

Unbelievable stupidity!
          *facepalm*

Darwin award nominee, mayhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            *facepalm*

Darwin award nominee, mayhaps?
            I vote no, but I have a strict Darwin criterion: must be pre-breeding. Otherwise the damage has already been done.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I have a strict Darwin criterion: must be pre-breeding. Otherwise the damage has already been done.
              Not necessarily, in these cases, if the children are young enough, Lamarck's theory also works. You can be dammed sure her children will always make sure there is space on the other side of the tracks before they start to drive across.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Not necessarily, in these cases, if the children are young enough, Lamarck's theory also works. You can be dammed sure her children will always make sure there is space on the other side of the tracks before they start to drive across.
                Hmm...

I'll grant you that, but that's just one case. The rogue risk/reward gene is still percolating inside their little cells, and the world has soda machines to rock, third rails to hop, tigers to taunt, ledges to tightrope walk on, and a million other attractive nuisances to snare them on.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Chipper didn't fall far from Rocker.
                  Cornell University

Comment

They miss the dog and hit the mother of a child, but decide to kidnap the dog anyway. And of course, they'll get away with it, as they've already used the term "accident". http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cal...a-death-panel/

Comment

Ah, one from my home state: We'll have none of that subversive administrating from you out-of-state-educated people here! Can't believe I survived 18 years in that educational dumpster fire.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        Ah, one from my home state: We'll have none of that subversive administrating from you out-of-state-educated people here! Can't believe I survived 18 years in that educational dumpster fire.
                        She went to Harvard for her advanced degree. What makes Harvard so special? Who anointed them god?

We get all excited when somebody has a degree from Harvard we forget to look at the person.

However, on the surface it seems to be a dumb law.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Where's old Sparky when you need it?

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index....incart_m-rpt-1
                          Twitter: DanMountSports
                          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            She went to Harvard for her advanced degree. What makes Harvard so special? Who anointed them god?

We get all excited when somebody has a degree from Harvard we forget to look at the person.

Who ****ed in your Cheerios this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Who ****ed in your Cheerios this morning?
                              Obviously someone who went to Harvard...
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

You mean like this bit from the article?

Six years of teaching experience, including being recognized as a Distinguished Educator of the Year in 2013 by the Tennessee Education Association.

ETA:

Or this little bit here:
                                Her situation has frustrated those who oversee her work at Isaac Litton Middle.

She has good reviews, and Metro Nashville Public Schools has spent time and money preparing her to be a leader.

"She is definitely ready," said Chara Rand, the school's assistant principal. "She just needs the opportunity."

Croft also has set herself apart, Principal Tracy Bruno said, by leading a teacher professional learning circle once a month to help find ways to better teach kids. And the teacher also sometimes fills in for Rand as a backup assistant principal.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X