RPI Hockey 2014-2015 Part II: Dedicated to Rich Curadi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    I would be more likely to contribute if they brought back the Swarm. I really preferred the Bee. Fond memories of some of the mascots going back years. Somewhere here I have a great picture of the Lake Superior (Bird/Duck/Whatever he was) picking up and carrying off a very young Jenny during the November 1985 Christmas Tournament game that we won).
    I really enjoyed Swarm myself. I have several great memories of him, but the one that I'll never forget was back in '85 in Detroit before the championship game when he came out on the ice before the game waving a Michigan State flag in front of several thousand Spartan fans which helped put them on our side.

Comment

Re: RPI Hockey 2014-2015 Part II: Dedicated to Rich Curadi

I would be more likely to contribute if they brought back the Swarm. I really preferred the Bee. Fond memories of some of the mascots going back years. Somewhere here I have a great picture of the Lake Superior (Bird/Duck/Whatever he was) picking up and carrying off a very young Jenny during the November 1985 Christmas Tournament game that we won).
      It'd certainly be a good counter to Cornell constructing additional pylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
        Shoot, Doc, didn't Seamore the Sea Duck introduce himself to Jenny at the time?
        He picked her up and carried her off(she weighs about 90 pounds so it is not much of a chore). I remember telling him, if he takes her, he has to keep her and pay for her jewelry and furs. That stopped him quickly and he brought her back. That tournament was great, staying at the old Holiday Inn with all the teams and drinking at the bar with the entire Lake Superior gang(players and parents). I got totally destroyed and could not find our room(it was difficult to find the elevator up button while crawling on the floor). Those years were just such a blast for us-we rarely missed a game and never missed an RPI tournament.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
          I really enjoyed Swarm myself. I have several great memories of him, but the one that I'll never forget was back in '85 in Detroit before the championship game when he came out on the ice before the game waving a Michigan State flag in front of several thousand Spartan fans which helped put them on our side.
          And i thought we were the only ones posting here that were there for that. The building erupted.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

And i thought we were the only ones posting here that were there for that. The building erupted.
            I recall the commentator mentioned that on ESPN's coverage of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              I recall the commentator mentioned that on ESPN's coverage of the game.
              Were you even alive then?
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Were you even alive then?
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fORXksMzo4I

Comment

No, I was definitely there. In fact, not only was there a photo of me and my friend in the Times Union (which I still have) but we ended up with a closeup of us on ESPN. If you have the entire game on tape or disc somewhere, we were on just prior to the start of the second period.

Comment

Nice to watch that segment. The late great Tom Mees and the analyst was... Lou Nanne!!

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                      No, I was definitely there. In fact, not only was there a photo of me and my friend in the Times Union (which I still have) but we ended up with a closeup of us on ESPN. If you have the entire game on tape or disc somewhere, we were on just prior to the start of the second period.
                      The entire game is on Youtube; the link I posted is just part 1.

Comment

The entire game is on Youtube; the link I posted is just part 1.
                        Do you know if the 1985 semi vs. Minn-Duluth is posted anywhere?
                        "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
                          Do you know if the 1985 semi vs. Minn-Duluth is posted anywhere?
                          It isn't. It also isn't available to purchase as the final is. http://www.amazon.com/1985-Division-...vidence+hockey
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            It isn't. It also isn't available to purchase as the final is. http://www.amazon.com/1985-Division-...vidence+hockey
                            Do you know if it is a copyright issue? Theoretically if one still had a tape of the game could they legally post it?
                            Last edited by DeepRed72; 01-30-2015, 07:27 PM.
                            "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
                              Do you know if it a copyright issue? Theoretically if one still had a tape of the game could they legally post it?
                              I don't know, but since the PC game is on line and the NCAA is trying to sell that it's hard to believe the UMD game could be a problem.

I have a deteriorating Betamax recording of the UMD game which a friend converted to DVD. However when he did it, he ran out of room with about a minute left, missing Carter's GWG. He didn't understand that I regarded that as more important than the video quality.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I wonder whatever happened to the student who inhabited Swarm's costume in 1985.

I'm not sure it would have done him much good if he were applying for a job in engineering, but if I were the hiring authority at, say, an advertising firm and I came across a resume that said "I came up with an idea that resulted in thousands of otherwise disinterested Michigan State fans becoming enthusiastic supporters of my school's team," I'd want to take a good close look at the guy who submitted it.

Comment

Working...
                                X