Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Heading to Louisville in late June as my son's travel lacrosse team has a tourney there. Gonna go a couple days early and hit Churchill Downs for Thursday twilight racing and then do Mammoth Cave on Friday.
    If you're driving down, I recommend just driving around the Bluegrass region. It's truly gorgeous country.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

I borrowed a copy of Lonely Planet's guide to Zion and Bryce Canyon. Looking at routes in Zion, I had thought maybe I would shuttle up to Lava Point and hike back to Zion Canyon via the West Rim Trail. Checked the NPS website, and West Rim Trail will be closed below Camp 1 for repairs during the time I'm visiting. So I could still reserve a campsite, hike in, and spend a night, but I'd have to double-back to Lava Point, rather than hike through and descend to the Grotto. I'm evaluating other options.

The Observation Point hike is still on the list though.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

So next month Mrs goldy, goldy Jr (18 now) and I are going to Maui for a week. Staying in a VRBO condo in Maalea. Any recommendations for must-do on the island? Should Jr and I do the van ride up for sunrise on the volcano and the bike ride down (Mrs will sleep in for that one)? Should we drive to Hana or should we take a van trip? Any good fishing charter recommendations or spots to shore fish from? Best snorkeling charters? Best luau?

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by goldy_331 View Post
    So next month Mrs goldy, goldy Jr (18 now) and I are going to Maui for a week. Staying in a VRBO condo in Maalea. Any recommendations for must-do on the island? Should Jr and I do the van ride up for sunrise on the volcano and the bike ride down (Mrs will sleep in for that one)? Should we drive to Hana or should we take a van trip? Any good fishing charter recommendations or spots to shore fish from? Best snorkeling charters? Best luau?
    I did the volcano and the ride down and it was a lot of fun. I also did a snorkeling charter and all the charter boats in the world went to the same place. I thought the snorkeling was lame, especially compared to the Caymans.
    I drove to Hana and stopped on the way at the grave of Charles Lindbergh. it's hard to find, but if you like aviation it's cool. The drive was great, Hana itself not that much, but the 7 sisters?, waterfall was nice and I met a guy who did the helicopter tour of the rainforest and loved it.
    Can't recommend a place or a luau.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

beer

So if the Packers play in London next year, I'm going. I was looking at possible flights to get an idea at what the cost might for airfare might be. The cheapest airline out of Chicago was Turkish Airlines, has anyone ever flown them before and if so, how was the experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Quote Originally Posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
    So if the Packers play in London next year, I'm going. I was looking at possible flights to get an idea at what the cost might for airfare might be. The cheapest airline out of Chicago was Turkish Airlines, has anyone ever flown them before and if so, how was the experience?
    Turkish Airlines is good. And usually very reasonable. I've had pleasant experiences with their Ohare facilities, as have members of my family, who fly to Europe and Asia frequently.

Up close and personal in South Africa.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/0...mty_twitter_fn

Do not feed the lions!!

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Up close and personal in South Africa.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/0...mty_twitter_fn

Do not feed the lions!!
    My life would be complete after seeing something like that...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar

Since the old photo thread is dead in the name of advertising revenue, here are a few from the past couple days of wandering...

"Yeah, because I’m the genius marketer, not a code freak like you guys. Besides, I’m wearing sandals so I am iconoclasting a little bit."

Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    My life would be complete after seeing something like that...
    No kidding. While obviously the headline about "shocked tourists" isn't backed up in the story, hey...if you want to caravan out there to see the real world...there it is. Nothing shocking about it at all.
    "Yeah, because I’m the genius marketer, not a code freak like you guys. Besides, I’m wearing sandals so I am iconoclasting a little bit."

Those photos are amazing. And your post also answered not finding a photo thread.

Going to Bermuda this summer. Trying to figure out how to bring my good camera and take pictures. If I bring it and we go to a beach I have no way of securing it. There must be some way people deal with this but I haven't figured it out. I love my camera. Taking pics with a phone or a point and shoot is like drinking light beer. Any suggestions?

Also- Any hints, infor, little tips etc on Bermuda? Staying at Grotto Bay. Haven't been to the Island since we got married 28 yrs ago. Mr les didn't get the all inclusive pkg. Don't want to eat at the hotel every night. Anyone stay at GB and know what they offer?

PS- if someone asked this stuff already sorry. Don't have time to skim through all these pages.

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Those photos are amazing. And your post also answered not finding a photo thread.

Going to Bermuda this summer. Trying to figure out how to bring my good camera and take pictures. If I bring it and we go to a beach I have no way of securing it. There must be some way people deal with this but I haven't figured it out. I love my camera. Taking pics with a phone or a point and shoot is like drinking light beer. Any suggestions?

I always take mine to the beach and haven't had any problems although the beaches we've been to haven't been the most public beachy of beaches. Not like Rio or South Florida where there are people stacked upon people.

Most crimes in tourist areas are ones of opportunity. Make sure it's not easy to see and make sure there aren't sketchy individuals casing you.

I just wrap my camera bag in a towel or put it under our other crap.

Of course we are somewhat close to our stuff and probably wouldn't leave it alone to go snorkeling for an hour or something. Have never had a problem going swimming though.

I would never go on a trip without my gear.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Nice shots XYZ!
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Lost the passport. Is it a hassle to get a new one???
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Lost the passport. Is it a hassle to get a new one???
    That depends upon how quickly you need it.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    That depends upon how quickly you need it.
    Next summer.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

lubba wubba dub dub

Start the process now and you'll be fine. I think the process takes about 3 months, unless you pay extra for the rush service.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Still upright

Good article on yahoo about the dangers you might encounter in traveling.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/tourist...638057767.html
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Start the process now and you'll be fine. I think the process takes about 3 months, unless you pay extra for the rush service.
    I think that really depends upon the time of year you apply. I applied for one last September so that I could subsequently get the NEXUS card for GE benefits, and they had mine sent out by early October - about 3 weeks from start to finish.

Now, if I had dawdled until November and I was planning on spending Christmas abroad, I probably would've had to pay the extra $100 to expedite it.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I always take mine to the beach and haven't had any problems although the beaches we've been to haven't been the most public beachy of beaches. Not like Rio or South Florida where there are people stacked upon people.

Most crimes in tourist areas are ones of opportunity. Make sure it's not easy to see and make sure there aren't sketchy individuals casing you.

I just wrap my camera bag in a towel or put it under our other crap.

Of course we are somewhat close to our stuff and probably wouldn't leave it alone to go snorkeling for an hour or something. Have never had a problem going swimming though.

I would never go on a trip without my gear.
    I have >1200$ in camera and lenses. I am a little paranoid wrapping that in a towel. Don't want to be tethered to the thing but point and shoot would make me crazy

Thread Information