This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

I'm a noobie when it comes to flights... I'm quickly seeing that there is no rhyme or reason to the pricing... I was looking at Southwest for MDW to BOS... Prices were $101 each way... Put in at work for the time off... Got that approved... Now my flight to BOS is clocking in at $151 while my flight back home is still $101... Does this mean that the flight is selling out and I need to jump on a seat ASAP? Just trying to do this on a budget... From what I'm seeing, I would be locked in at whatever price I buy at, even if they drop the price later... Do I want to jump on this or play the waiting game?
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      I'm a noobie when it comes to flights... I'm quickly seeing that there is no rhyme or reason to the pricing... I was looking at Southwest for MDW to BOS... Prices were $101 each way... Put in at work for the time off... Got that approved... Now my flight to BOS is clocking in at $151 while my flight back home is still $101... Does this mean that the flight is selling out and I need to jump on a seat ASAP? Just trying to do this on a budget... From what I'm seeing, I would be locked in at whatever price I buy at, even if they drop the price later... Do I want to jump on this or play the waiting game?
      Prices fluctuate a lot for plane tickets. For leisure tickets, they'll often go with a steady climb the closer you get to departure date until a week or so before the date, then they come back down some though the exact amount will vary. Waiting for a last minute deal can be risky as your flight might sell out by that point.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Prices fluctuate a lot for plane tickets. For leisure tickets, they'll often go with a steady climb the closer you get to departure date until a week or so before the date, then they come back down some though the exact amount will vary. Waiting for a last minute deal can be risky as your flight might sell out by that point.
        Ok... This is for July 26-29, so I got time...

Comment

Be careful waiting with Southwest though. It's generally been my experience that prices will steadily increase up to (insert departure date here). And at some point, the wanna get away fares will become unavailable as well, which naturally makes things very expensive. I would wait no more than another 2 weeks (6 weeks prior), which is sort of a generally accepted time to where fares begin rising.

My advice? Figure out what price range you're comfortable paying, and if/when you find something that fits that, pull the trigger. It MAY be worth looking at Manchester, NH or Providence, RI as well, you may find savings looking at alternate regional airports.

Comment

6-8 weeks is generally accepted as the sweet spot, unless you want to gamble on a last-minute deal that may or may not be available.

Comment

The airlines use a complicated software that measures demand for a particular segment. Even if you just investigate that segment, and try different dates, and different combinations, it shows up to them as demand and the price will go up. (even 8 weeks or more out.) Using kayak will help not trigger the price rise though it will still go up eventually.
              The big price increase is at the 13 day point. I would not wait at all. at least if you buy early you get to choose what seat you want.And southwest is not the cheapest out there. usually it's spirit that is.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

There is also a well-observed trend that if you can be flexible with your dates, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays tend to be the cheapest days to fly. It's not a rule that is set in stone (very little is when it comes to airfare pricing), but the reasons behind it are logical. 1) Even during non-peak periods, Joe & Jill Schmoe and their screaming babies ideally want to start their vacation on Friday and return on Sunday. 2) A lot of business road warriors leave town on Sunday evening or Monday morning, and return home on Thursday night. Of course, during the Christmas/New Years' and Thanksgiving holiday periods, all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  There is also a well-observed trend that if you can be flexible with your dates, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays tend to be the cheapest days to fly. It's not a rule that is set in stone (very little is when it comes to airfare pricing), but the reasons behind it are logical. 1) Even during non-peak periods, Joe & Jill Schmoe and their screaming babies ideally want to start their vacation on Friday and return on Sunday. 2) A lot of business road warriors leave town on Sunday evening or Monday morning, and return home on Thursday night. Of course, during the Christmas/New Years' and Thanksgiving holiday periods, all bets are off.
                  This. When I somewhat traveled for work, they'd send me out on Sunday morn, come back on Friday night. It was a little pricey, but it was JUST off the peak business times.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

My son and I leave Sunday for our first Boundary Waters canoe trip. Short trip entering Monday, coming out Wednesday. Using an outfitter on Moose Lake. Keeping it short as my replaced ankle is still well below 100%, although the surgeon gave me the OK yesterday. Two short portages and then a base camp for a couple nights. I wish I had done it 40 years ago, but better late than never.

Comment

Wednesday: The Stones, Minneapolis
                      Friday: Clubbing Milan
                      Saturday: Sunning Rimini
                      Sunday: On to San Marino
                      Last edited by 5mn_Major; 06-03-2015, 11:06 AM.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        My son and I leave Sunday for our first Boundary Waters canoe trip. Short trip entering Monday, coming out Wednesday. Using an outfitter on Moose Lake. Keeping it short as my replaced ankle is still well below 100%, although the surgeon gave me the OK yesterday. Two short portages and then a base camp for a couple nights. I wish I had done it 40 years ago, but better late than never.

Neither of you have been there or just your son?

Unsolicited advice of the day: Have them shuttle you to the your first portage. It's an extra cost, but the one time I didn't (the first trip out of Moose Lake), I regretted it.

Comment

I just read that Southwest Air has a sale going on Jun 2-4 (so for today and tomorrow). The main price points for the sale are $49, $99, $129 and $149. Some people have found flights for as low as $47 one way.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Neither of you have been there or just your son?

Unsolicited advice of the day: Have them shuttle you to the your first portage. It's an extra cost, but the one time I didn't (the first trip out of Moose Lake), I regretted it.
                            First for both. Thanks, tow trip already booked.

It's my first BWCA trip but not my first canoe trip, nor first time on a shield lake. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I just read that Southwest Air has a sale going on Jun 2-4 (so for today and tomorrow). The main price points for the sale are $49, $99, $129 and $149. Some people have found flights for as low as $47 one way.
                              Yea... Been trying to buy all afternoon, but their site has been down

I'm sorry, but this whole experience is really a turn off to air travel for me... Too many games with prices for occasional travel... Not worth the hassle and frustration... Really makes driving 8-10 hours seem like a much more viable option...

Comment

You aren't the only one, RB. Even though I understand why they do it, I strongly dislike how the airlines now nickel and dime the services to varying degrees. It's not going away though, if you've ever looked at the balance sheets - extra fees are a big part of the new airline business model and continue getting bigger each year. Whoever is running Spirit is an evil genius, when I think of what a rinky-dink, nearly-bankrupt airline it was in the early 2000s, holding together its ancient MD-83 fleet with duct tape.

Comment

Working...
                                X