X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by burd View Post
    The Nola part I'm not concerned about. We've visited while she has been in school, and we spent some time there during jazz fest a while back. That is a fantastic week to see Nola. Late April/early May, so the weather is beautiful, and there are fewer drunks from Iowa than Mardi Gras or Halloween. The music goes from great to great plus.

But the Panama Beach part of this is less obvious. Hanging out at the beach with family will be a nice break for all of us, but I'm counting on a tip from you guys on something cool, preferably off the beaten path a little.

Maybe we just stop in at Kiln and find someone who can explain what the ******* BF was doing throwing that ball on Jan 24, 2010.
    I have mentioned this on GPL, but talk to a local bartender, get some tips on where to go.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by nappyvalley View Post
      Going to Hawaii for my first time in mid-March. Realized this will be during the conference tournaments. Wonder if they get Big Ten Network in Hawaii? Heh, heh.

Then Florida in May which is an annual thing. Have a bunch of family there including 2 brothers, we always get them and a bunch of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. around Florida and PA (and me in VA) together and stay at the beach for a week
      Done the first trip now, and I have concluded that Hawaii doesn't suck.

Time for Clearwater Beach in < 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        After two years in a row trekking to Isle Royale, I'm thinking about doing a swing out to some of the western National Parks later this year. The first debate is, which ones? Realistically, I think I could do a maximum of 3 in a single trip, depending. Obviously, there are some that can be logically grouped together. For instance, Canyonlands & Arches (and possibly Capitol Reef?), or Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Anyone have any advice?

I'd be looking to do at least some hike-to camping, as I have the gear and I'm not keen on holing up in hotels for an entire trip.
        I've hiked and camped all of the national parks in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming, as well as a handful in California. If you want some tips or trip itineraries, just shoot me a message.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
          I've hiked and camped all of the national parks in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming, as well as a handful in California. If you want some tips or trip itineraries, just shoot me a message.
          Thanks, email sent.

Comment

My girlfriend and I are heading to Iceland next summer. Really looking forward to that one. I love the process of planning a big trip, finding some hidden gems, getting off the beaten path, etc... so I think it will be a great trip with some incredible views.

Comment

My girlfriend and I are heading to Iceland next summer. Really looking forward to that one. I love the process of planning a big trip, finding some hidden gems, getting off the beaten path, etc... so I think it will be a great trip with some incredible views.
              jealous
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

So I just got back from a fantastic trip to Portugal. I went there because of a recommendation from someone on here. I have to say maybe my best vacation ever. People were really friendly, very low crime and so felt real safe, very inexpensive, overall great trip.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Thinking about doing a 4-day/3-night trip to Boston at the end of July... Airfare is dirt cheap through Southwest at the moment... Gonna try for a White Sox/Red Sox game and then spend a day at Six Flags New England...
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Rough itinerary for October:

7th: Arrive LAS, get car, drive to UT
                    8th: Zion (probably shuttle up to the Grotto and day-hike to Angel's Landing)
                    9th: Zion (possibly overnight hike Kolob Canyons)
                    10th: Zion / Drive to Bryce
                    11th: Bryce Canyon (Hike/Camp the Under-The-Rim Trail)
                    12th: Bryce Canyon (Hike/Camp the Under-The-Rim Trail)
                    13th: Drive to Grand Canyon (North Rim)
                    14th: Grand Canyon
                    15th: Grand Canyon
                    16th: Drive back to LAS, try to lose as little at blackjack as possible (hotel TBD, but it's going to be one of the classier ones)
                    17th: Red-eye flight back to DTW

My only concern is that if I don't plan to ride a mule down into Grand Canyon, I might be spending too much time there? Would I be better off taking an extra day at Zion or Bryce?

Comment

16th: Drive back to LAS, try to lose as little at blackjack as possible (hotel TBD, but it's going to be one of the classier ones)

My only concern is that if I don't plan to ride a mule down into Grand Canyon, I might be spending too much time there? Would I be better off taking an extra day at Zion or Bryce?
                      I'll be getting back to you soon with some routes, unfortunately work has been ridiculous lately. Quick suggestion... do an extra day at Zion and one fewer days and Bryce. You can do Bryce in a day easily.

Also, you'll be able to do some day hikes in Grand Canyon, although they're going to be pretty long and it's all going to either be mostly uphill or mostly downhill, which can be brutal after a week of other hikes. With the drive from Bryce to the north rim only being 3 hours, you could backpack into the canyon, spend two nights and then come back out on the 16th.

Comment

That is some fabulous country. I know those sites are pretty tightly grouped and you only have so much time, but Arches would be really nice. Different from the canyon country you will be seeing. But again, time is precious, and you have to save something for next time.

While the rest of us slog through the glut and suck of our dreary lives.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          That is some fabulous country. I know those sites are pretty tightly grouped and you only have so much time, but Arches would be really nice. Different from the canyon country you will be seeing. But again, time is precious, and you have to save something for next time.

While the rest of us slog through the glut and suck of our dreary lives.
                          Arches could be paired nicely with a backpacking trip to Canyonlands. With three different sections of the park (Island in the Sky, Needles and The Maze) you can see so many different rock formations that are incredible. I thoroughly enjoy backpacking in, setting up shop at one site for 3-4 nights and then just doing day hikes throughout the park. Lots of walking but definitely worth it.

Zion is a bit similar in that it's essentially two different parks in one. You have the Narrows area and then the Rim Trail. Two completely different viewpoints and experiences.

Comment

Arches could be paired nicely with a backpacking trip to Canyonlands. With three different sections of the park (Island in the Sky, Needles and The Maze) you can see so many different rock formations that are incredible. I thoroughly enjoy backpacking in, setting up shop at one site for 3-4 nights and then just doing day hikes throughout the park. Lots of walking but definitely worth it.

Zion is a bit similar in that it's essentially two different parks in one. You have the Narrows area and then the Rim Trail. Two completely different viewpoints and experiences.
                            I prefer zion to the others honestly. Rather than the kolob canyons, I'd think about doing observation point and then back packing for a night on the rim. Also the narrows is great.
                            There are also some nice state parks between las vegas and Zion which are nice for a two or three hour jaunt.
                            you might also consider giving yourself a day off in there after some strenuous days before doing Grand canyon.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

great time of the year to go. still warm but not pizza oven hot. sounds like a plan.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Never been to North Rim, but I didn't think there were mule rides available there? 14 mi to Phantom Ranch would make for two very sore asses!
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X