Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I don't mind some nickel-and-dime stuff (like carry-on fees). The only prob I have with airlines is them not strictly enforcing the carry-on rules. If you have a bag that you didn't check, and it's too large...hey! Free checked-luggage! Whee! F that noise. They should match the bag to the flier, and charge their arse for it.
    It's kind of funny. Airlines charge fees for checked luggage, but no carry on luggage fees. Presumably because of the costs associated with having baggage handlers.

Now they've realized this has caused everyone to forego checking bags, if possible, and go through the craziness that is the loading of the passenger compartment by a bunch of people trying to cram too many bags into too small of a space. This is costing airlines money as they sit waiting at the gate.

I see Delta is going to experiment with a "valet" service (no word yet on whether it will be free) whereby they take your carry on for you and stow it directly above your seat. But presumably this is going to cost the airlines in the form of baggage handlers, thus completing the circle.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

I get checked bags for free. But I still just carry on. I don't own any luggage, just a duffle that always fits in overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I get checked bags for free. But I still just carry on. I don't own any luggage, just a duffle that always fits in overhead.
    I wanted to talk to you about your unwillingness to change your underwear regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by goldy_331 View Post
    I wanted to talk to you about your unwillingness to change your underwear regularly.
    What odd fetishes you have.

First for both. Thanks, tow trip already booked.

It's my first BWCA trip but not my first canoe trip, nor first time on a shield lake. ;-)

Do you know your route yet?

What lakes will you be on?
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Do you know your route yet?

What lakes will you be on?
    The outfitter will shuttle us through Moose and Newfound to the portage into Splash, we'll go through Splash and another short portage into Ensign. We plan to camp on Ensign. May day trip to Ashigan for smallies or backtrack to Splash for pike, but if fishing is good enough in Ensign may just stay there. I don't want to challenge the hardware in my ankle too much.

The outfitter will shuttle us through Moose and Newfound to the portage into Splash, we'll go through Splash and another short portage into Ensign. We plan to camp on Ensign. May day trip to Ashigan for smallies or backtrack to Splash for pike, but if fishing is good enough in Ensign may just stay there. I don't want to challenge the hardware in my ankle too much.

LOL

Ensign Lake is where a bear got our food pack once. Was hung in a tree, but too close to the trunk. Bear ripped the bottom out.

Was in 92 or so, so I think you're safe unless it taught it's offspring.

Went up along the border and came down through Vera Lake.

LOL

Ensign Lake is where a bear got our food pack once. Was hung in a tree, but too close to the trunk. Bear ripped the bottom out.

Was in 92 or so, so I think you're safe unless it taught it's offspring.

Went up along the border and came down through Vera Lake.
    I have been offered the use of a bear canister which are all the rage now in lieu of hanging packs. We'll see which approach we use. And we'll quiz the outfitter on bear sightings. May try to grab an island campsite to be a little less likely to have ursine visitors.

I have been offered the use of a bear canister which are all the rage now in lieu of hanging packs. We'll see which approach we use. And we'll quiz the outfitter on bear sightings. May try to grab an island campsite to be a little less likely to have ursine visitors.

Quite honestly, that was the only bear that ever came to our camp (that we know of) in all of the trips I've taken up there and it was a known nuisance that summer of which I was made aware after we got back to the outfitter.

"Oh yeah, we've heard about a raider on that lake."

They might have even known that our site was where the bear frequented.

I wouldn't worry about it. Hanging usually works. I think we got complacent and weren't careful enough about the distance from the trunk.

On another note, I picked up this book way back in the day after my first couple of trips and still found it to be wildly informative and helpful. And a good read - quite amusing in parts, iirc.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...61/paddlingnet

Maybe too late for you to read it now and/or maybe you don't need to - although as I said, I had been on a couple of trips and still learned a lot.

Being hunters, you probably know this, but bring the mosquito nets and leave the blue jeans at home!
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 06-04-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Oh yeah and take steaks in for the first night's meal.

Not much better in this world than a steak after you first day of paddling as the sun goes down.

Sigh.

Been too long since I've been up there...

Being hunters, you probably know this, but bring the mosquito nets and leave the blue jeans at home!
    Thanks again. I plan to douse our outer clothes (all quick drying, no cotton) with permytherin tonight for ticks. I have a couple head nets and lots of Deep Woods Off Dry. Weather looks good for now but we are bringing pretty good rain suits just in case. They'll be our warm clothes too if it does get chilly (not looking likely). Have a few borrowed dry bags plus plenty of zip-locks and garbage bags for pack liners. Borrowing an extra water filter tonight from a back-packer buddy (outfitter provides one), along with extra sleeping pads.

Oh hey Gurt, my kid's pre-calc teacher is the new Director of Hockey Operations for the BADgers. I told Jr to give him crap tomorrow - after the final is graded! Super nice guy, too bad he'll have to work with Eaves.
    Last edited by goldy_331; 06-04-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks again. I plan to douse our outer clothes (all quick drying, no cotton) with permytherin tonight for ticks. I have a couple head nets and lots of Deep Woods Off Dry. Weather looks good for now but we are bringing pretty good rain suits just in case. They'll be our warm clothes too if it does get chilly (not looking likely). Have a few borrowed dry bags plus plenty of zip-locks and garbage bags for pack liners. Borrowing an extra water filter tonight from a back-packer buddy (outfitter provides one), along with extra sleeping pads.

Oh hey Gurt, my kid's pre-calc teacher is the new Director of Hockey Operations for the BADgers. I told Jr to give him crap tomorrow - after the final is graded! Super nice guy, too bad he'll have to work with Eaves.

I saw your post in our thread... and responded.

As always, hockey is a very small world and chances are if you are involved for a period of time, you'll start to know people. It's cool.

I do feel bad for him having to work with Eaves though.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    This is costing airlines money as they sit waiting at the gate.
    Not really. This doesn't delay flights as much as you would think.

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Oh hey... Southwest's booking site is still down... Going to shoot someone/something if a seat on the flights I wanted jumped $50

The flights I'm looking at aren't even eligible for the sale that is causing the problems
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

It's kind of funny. Airlines charge fees for checked luggage, but no carry on luggage fees. Presumably because of the costs associated with having baggage handlers.

Now they've realized this has caused everyone to forego checking bags, if possible, and go through the craziness that is the loading of the passenger compartment by a bunch of people trying to cram too many bags into too small of a space. This is costing airlines money as they sit waiting at the gate.

I see Delta is going to experiment with a "valet" service (no word yet on whether it will be free) whereby they take your carry on for you and stow it directly above your seat. But presumably this is going to cost the airlines in the form of baggage handlers, thus completing the circle.
    The major cost you're not accounting for is fuel. It takes maybe 3 guys 20 minutes to load the bags? That's $20-25 in direct labor, maybe double that for overhead. Carrying a belly full of luggage across the country will cost many more times that in additional fuel cost. The marginal labor cost for a few extra bags is zero - they already have the staff and equipment. The marginal fuel cost, though, is very real and very substantial. The airlines' interest is in getting you to pay for your baggage weight, whether it's in the cabin or he hold. Believe me, if they could get away with charging passengers by the pound, they absolutely would.

Internet Nutcase

Going to be heading to Olympic National Park later this summer, and maybe spend a day or two in Seattle. Had to fight all day with southwest.com to get tickets. I live in Bar Harbor, Maine and we just lost in the semi-finals of Outside Magazine's best town contest. We lost to Port Angeles, Washington, one of the gateway towns to Olympic National Park so it will be cool to pay them a visit and check out another national park town.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Not really. This doesn't delay flights as much as you would think.
    $30/minute. I suspect it adds up.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Heading to Louisville in late June as my son's travel lacrosse team has a tourney there. Gonna go a couple days early and hit Churchill Downs for Thursday twilight racing and then do Mammoth Cave on Friday.

Too bad I don't care for Bourbon as the tour would be fun.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

It doesn't. Bag loading/boarding delays are usually only a few minutes. The only extra cost incurred is the cost of running the APU (assuming it's not deferred ).

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Still upright

Heading to Louisville in late June as my son's travel lacrosse team has a tourney there. Gonna go a couple days early and hit Churchill Downs for Thursday twilight racing and then do Mammoth Cave on Friday.

Too bad I don't care for Bourbon as the tour would be fun.
    Mammoth cave is great. Churchill downs is great too. If you do have time, I'd recommend a tour of one of the big breeding operations near Lexington. it's not that far from you. Sometimes you have to arrange ahead of time.Do not stick your fingers in with the horse.!
    And if they are running, Keeneland is particularly nice.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Thread Information