This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

After two years in a row trekking to Isle Royale, I'm thinking about doing a swing out to some of the western National Parks later this year. The first debate is, which ones? Realistically, I think I could do a maximum of 3 in a single trip, depending. Obviously, there are some that can be logically grouped together. For instance, Canyonlands & Arches (and possibly Capitol Reef?), or Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Anyone have any advice?

I'd be looking to do at least some hike-to camping, as I have the gear and I'm not keen on holing up in hotels for an entire trip.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      After two years in a row trekking to Isle Royale, I'm thinking about doing a swing out to some of the western National Parks later this year. The first debate is, which ones? Realistically, I think I could do a maximum of 3 in a single trip, depending. Obviously, there are some that can be logically grouped together. For instance, Canyonlands & Arches (and possibly Capitol Reef?), or Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Anyone have any advice?

I'd be looking to do at least some hike-to camping, as I have the gear and I'm not keen on holing up in hotels for an entire trip.
      Depends on when you plan to go. Canyonlands/Arches is a different experience from Yellowstone/Tetons simply based on the geology, but they are drastically different experiences weather wise. Arches is great in April and May and again in the fall, whereas the Yellowstone gig is pretty iffy during those months. I love the West, though, and those are both great trips. Bryce might stretch your time a little if you go to Arches, since you would probably take in the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but it is breathtaking as well.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        Depends on when you plan to go. Canyonlands/Arches is a different experience from Yellowstone/Tetons simply based on the geology, but they are drastically different experiences weather wise. Arches is great in April and May and again in the fall, whereas the Yellowstone gig is pretty iffy during those months.
        Yeah, I sort of figured that being in southern Utah in July is a bad idea.

I was thinking mid-to-late September. Even early October would be in play if we're talking the Utah parks. If I do Yellowstone/Teton, I'm really keen to avoid them when the schools are still on summer break, as I know they are among the most popular.

Comment

I was thinking mid-to-late September. Even early October would be in play if we're talking the Utah parks. If I do Yellowstone/Teton, I'm really keen to avoid them when the schools are still on summer break, as I know they are among the most popular.
          I've hiked most of those. My favorite is observation point in Zion. It's a 5.5 hour hike round trip with a 2500' climb to an elevation of about 6400 ft. Do not do this if you are afraid of heights. It's pretty far from the Tetons as you might Imagine. In july, Hiking the narrows is what most people do there because the water level is low and it's not too hot .. However watch for thunderstorms. The park may not let you go if the weather will be bad.
          Take a stout stick as a walking cane as well. Also some of those parks are better suited for mountain biking, so you might consider that, especially at Arches.

My personal trips this year are Lisbon in may for 10 days, which was recommended to me by someone on here, and Italy and Dubrovnik, Croatia, in September for a month.
          Last edited by manurespreader; 04-04-2015, 07:13 AM.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I can attest to that. Hotter. Than. Hell.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
              I can attest to that. Hotter. Than. Hell.
              But is it a dry heat?
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

This depends. When you say hike-to-camping how hardcore are you willing to get? Are you talking legitimate backcountry camping or merely walk in a few miles and set up shop? I can't really speak to the latter beyond telling you there are things in Yellowstone that could keep one busy for weeks that also avoid the crowds, but if the former the Tetons are the place to go. The loop over Paintbrush Divide is regularly rated as one of the top ten hikes in the US and you won't see many people once you clear Jenny Lake no matter the season. If you do it, loop to the north first. Could also do the 40+ miles of the Teton Crest Trail which snags the second half of the Paintbrush loop. Can even cheat the Teton Crest and take the gondola up and start from the high point.

Legit speaking, a lot of this depends on you exact intentions.

ex:
                - You want kickass day trips, explore Yellowstone. Lone Star Geyser is one good example. Everyone goes and sits like a monkey at Old Faithful, but if you walk, Lone Star could eat up an entire day and you can go stick your hand in the thing. Though I wouldn't advise doing so.
                - You want to loaf for a week? Between the parks there's a place called Flagg Ranch. A dirt road out the back of its parking lot shoots into a national forest. Rough road, but drive back far enough and you can camp right on a lake, for as long as you want, for free. Couple reservoirs, dams, etc. Can set up shop there and day trip into the parks of you want.
                - If it's backcountry you're after, Yellowstone is useless. Sure, want a thrill...just wander out into the Lamar Valley, set up the tent and wait for the grizzlies to start snorting at it. No thanks. For backcountry the Tetons reign supreme due to the ability to get to high altitude. Much better payoff for the effort relative to lower elevation Yellowstone.

There are people who spend there entire lives in these places and never see everything. With a short time frame, what it is you want to see hinges greatly on the physical effort you're interested in putting forth, if any, as well as your specific interests, obviously. Can't speak to southern Utah so I'm no help there, but as the parents are retiring to Mesquite, Nev. I'm sure I'll manage to get that entire region hammered out relatively soon and I'll get back to you

All that said...have you thru-hiked Isle Royale?
                Last edited by XYZ; 04-04-2015, 03:46 AM.
                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

I'll add one more thing about hiking the west. If you are used to sea level or close to sea level, and then expect to go hike to 14,000 ft, you might be wise to train up a bit, because the altitude will affect your ability to do much until you get used to it. There's a nice day hike in Colorado Springs up to pikes peak, but without some training it would be beyond most people from the east.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    But is it a dry heat?
                    Bond martini dry.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      All that said...have you thru-hiked Isle Royale?
                      Not yet. In two trips, I've hiked/seen a good chunk of the northern half. Next time I go, I will likely take a whole week and do the "death march" - ferry down to Windigo, hike 50 miles back to Rock Harbor.

As for "hardcore-ness", for a first trip anywhere I would probably be inclined to stick to designated trails and campgrounds. I guess I need to do more research with regards to the points of interest in each park, and decide from there.

As a skier, I am aware of the physical challenges presented by altitude. Avoiding the worst of it is pretty simple - drink extra water and don't overexert too much the first few days. But yeah, kicking the tires on a cardio regimen now that it's spring is never a bad idea. Plus, I'm sure my doctor would appreciate it.

Comment

Waiting for more pics from St. Lucia, but Gurth's probably too busy drinking rum, listening to reggae, and watching gorgeous sunsets to give us any relief from our dreary lives.

Comment

I'm too busy and completely wiped by the time I get back to my room to even look at what photos I've taken, let alone post any.

11:00 pm and I'm struggling to stay awake right now. Luckily there is essentially no night life here, not that I drink or party much on trips like this anyway.

Doing a night dive tomorrow which will be a new experience.

Here's tomorrow's itinerary:

7:00 - Walk to plantation ruins with the wife through forest/jungle.

10:30 - Boat dive with son.

12:00 - Lunch on beach and then swim/snorkel/look for sea glass, etc.

6:00 - Shore dive with son.

7:30 - Dinner at beachside Indian restaurant.

9:?? - NCAA National Championship game.

Tuesday is more of the same with a day with some rastafarians, a sunset cruise and then dinner on the beach and a beach party.

Can see why I'm ready for sleep by 10:00 each night.

Btw, there is another family here from Wisconsin and the resort gave us their conference room (air conditioned!) along with a projection TV and our own bartender/server. There aren't TVs anywhere on this resort, including the bar.

Really can't say enough about the service at this resort. It has been so ridiculously over the top that I almost feel guilty. Thing is, everyone is completely genuine and do everything with a smile and really seem to want to make their guests happy and comfortable.

I have never been anywhere that combines this natural beauty, a great resort, great food and such top notch service.

I had big expectations for this trip and they have been completely obliterated.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I'll add one more thing about hiking the west. If you are used to sea level or close to sea level, and then expect to go hike to 14,000 ft, you might be wise to train up a bit, because the altitude will affect your ability to do much until you get used to it. There's a nice day hike in Colorado Springs up to pikes peak, but without some training it would be beyond most people from the east.
                            No question...altitude has to be taken very seriously, especially if you're inexperienced and aren't fully aware kf its potential impacts. The first time we tried Longs Peak we did it the morning after driving out. Only time I've ever had altitude sickness. Strangest sensations I've ever had. I was smart enough to turn back at the keyhole but the two college cross country runners I was with pushed on. Made the summit but were puking messes the entire way down.

The next year, I went with two guys who were anything but college athletes...spent three days at around 10k feet in the Eagle's Nest Wilderness some 80 miles west of Denver before hitting Longs Peak, and we literally ended up running up the thing. The difference was amazing, and it was lesson #2 of 3 in my schooling as to how to properly treat mountains.

Lesson 1 came on a now closed trail in Glacier that I later found out was one of the locations that tragically inspired "Night of the Grizzlies," the other was a wild experience in the Adirondacks...which is a place not to be treaded upon lightly despite the lower elevation, and is the only place I've ever completely ****ed up. To the point I was constructing things in preparation for a soaking wet solo night with temps in the low 40s. Bothers me to this day and my actions were inexcusable. A classic case of how a few tiny mistakes can compound themselves into a major problem.

But yeah, mountains are not to be underestimated. Which is easier said than done.
                            Last edited by XYZ; 04-05-2015, 11:26 PM.
                            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

First time I hit up CO, major nosebleeds. Dry air. After that? Not a symptom in the least. I also have found that runners adjust better to higher altitudes and their effects.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                I'm too busy and completely wiped by the time I get back to my room to even look at what photos I've taken, let alone post any.

11:00 pm and I'm struggling to stay awake right now. Luckily there is essentially no night life here, not that I drink or party much on trips like this anyway.

Doing a night dive tomorrow which will be a new experience.

Here's tomorrow's itinerary:

7:00 - Walk to plantation ruins with the wife through forest/jungle.

10:30 - Boat dive with son.

12:00 - Lunch on beach and then swim/snorkel/look for sea glass, etc.

6:00 - Shore dive with son.

7:30 - Dinner at beachside Indian restaurant.

9:?? - NCAA National Championship game.

Tuesday is more of the same with a day with some rastafarians, a sunset cruise and then dinner on the beach and a beach party.

Can see why I'm ready for sleep by 10:00 each night.

Btw, there is another family here from Wisconsin and the resort gave us their conference room (air conditioned!) along with a projection TV and our own bartender/server. There aren't TVs anywhere on this resort, including the bar.

Really can't say enough about the service at this resort. It has been so ridiculously over the top that I almost feel guilty. Thing is, everyone is completely genuine and do everything with a smile and really seem to want to make their guests happy and comfortable.

I have never been anywhere that combines this natural beauty, a great resort, great food and such top notch service.

I had big expectations for this trip and they have been completely obliterated.
                                Be a little interested in what your Dad thinks of all this.

Comment

Working...
                                X