X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    No. Not now. Not ever. I am afraid of heights and I'd be cleaning my pants after the 1st meter.
    Didn't need to see that. My 24-year old daughter is about to start a thru hike of the Lycian Way in southern Turkey with her Spanish boyfriend. It's midlin, as thru hikes go (300 miles), but she let us know that they plan to do the Caminito del Rey later this year. I thought it was a kind of cultural hike that thousands of people, young and old, take in Spain, but was obviously wrong about that. Never spend too much time worrying about what my kids were doing, but you can't help doing some of it. So thanks for the pic. Jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      No. Not now. Not ever. I am afraid of heights and I'd be cleaning my pants after the 1st meter.
      i never understood the fear of heights. If I'm a mile in the air on a platform that's 100'x100', I'm not worried in the least. If I'm up 25' on a platform that's 1'x2', then I'm likely to give it a thought.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        i never understood the fear of heights. If I'm a mile in the air on a platform that's 100'x100', I'm not worried in the least. If I'm up 25' on a platform that's 1'x2', then I'm likely to give it a thought.
        For my job, I routinely go up 30 feet in the air on a platform about 5' x 5'. For the first couple weeks, I was very tentative. Now it doesn't bother me. But overall, heights scare the crap out of me. I don't even do roller coasters/etc at amusement parks.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          For my job, I routinely go up 30 feet in the air on a platform about 5' x 5'. For the first couple weeks, I was very tentative. Now it doesn't bother me. But overall, heights scare the crap out of me. I don't even do roller coasters/etc at amusement parks.
          And here I have pictures from rock climbing, taken just after topping out on the route, standing on the edge of a cliff while overlooking a valley. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've fallen while climbing, my life in the hands of a buddy who sure as **** better have been paying attention or I'd have been in a heap of trouble is I'd have lost my grip. (It turns out that s/he was whenever I fell. Whodathunk?)
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Heights get me although I don't mind roller coasters or flying or things like that. Put me on a roof or up a high ladder though and the knees get weak.

A couple of years ago we went to the ski-flying (like ski jumping only much bigger) facility in the UP (near the Porkies) and you can go up on it. My son and I tried, but couldn't make ourselves go all the way to the top on the run. There were several areas where you had to walk on see-through metal grates and the body just wouldn't follow our commands. Have no idea how the skiers do it.

Didn't feel too bad as when we got back to the elevator room, a marine/soldier(?) was in there and hadn't even been able to leave that room. He told us he had done 2 tours in Iraq, but this beat him. We all laughed at ourselves.

I posted video that I took of us:

link>

You can see a couple of ladies up the run who are clearly having their own struggles.

The tower is 18 stories tall at the top. I believe the platform I was on was 14 stories.

I'm puckering a bit just remembering what it was like.

Last edited by Gurtholfin; 03-20-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I have a severe fear of heights (I passed out once in my backyard because I looked up, saw a plane, and couldn't shake the sensation of standing on the wing), but I finally started enjoying roller coasters about 15 years ago and now I'm addicted. I think they're actually more pleasurable because of my fear, because I feel like I defeat it by riding them.

Which is dumb, but I've learned not to ignore anything that makes you feel good.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

For those like me who are not so comfortable with heights.

https://youtu.be/GVybgJHgdnA
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Heights get me although I don't mind roller coasters or flying or things like that. Put me on a roof or up a high ladder though and the knees get weak.

A couple of years ago we went to the ski-flying (like ski jumping only much bigger) facility in the UP (near the Porkies) and you can go up on it. My son and I tried, but couldn't make ourselves go all the way to the top on the run. There were several areas where you had to walk on see-through metal grates and the body just wouldn't follow our commands. Have no idea how the skiers do it.

Didn't feel too bad as when we got back to the elevator room, a marine/soldier(?) was in there and hadn't even been able to leave that room. He told us he had done 2 tours in Iraq, but this beat him. We all laughed at ourselves.

I posted video that I took of us:

link>

You can see a couple of ladies up the run who are clearly having their own struggles.

The tower is 18 stories tall at the top. I believe the platform I was on was 14 stories.

I'm puckering a bit just remembering what it was like.

I'm surprised you were able to look at your phone screen while you were turning around up there.

Comment

St. Lucia is stunning.

This was my view from my wraparound porch this morning as I had my coffee.

That's looking to the left. To my right is the bay that we are on and where the sun goes down.

Can't believe how beautiful this island is.

Comment

What are those green things?

Comment

St. Lucia is stunning.

That's looking to the left. To my right is the bay that we are on and where the sun goes down.

Why are you on the Forums?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Just booked my train ticket to MSP for September 30 through October 5. This time, for the train ride from Chicago to MSP, which will last from 2:15 PM to almost 10 PM CST, I will bring a tablet or something.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

St. Lucia is stunning.

Wow!
                            Almost looks like a place where a Bond villain would set up shop.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                              Wow!
                              Almost looks like a place where a Bond villain would set up shop.
                              That's his night job.

Comment

St. Lucia is stunning.

Wow. What does your Dad think of all that, Gurth?
                                Last edited by burd; 04-04-2015, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X