Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    I can attest to that. Hotter. Than. Hell.
    But is it a dry heat?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    After two years in a row trekking to Isle Royale, I'm thinking about doing a swing out to some of the western National Parks later this year. The first debate is, which ones? Realistically, I think I could do a maximum of 3 in a single trip, depending. Obviously, there are some that can be logically grouped together. For instance, Canyonlands & Arches (and possibly Capitol Reef?), or Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Anyone have any advice?

I'd be looking to do at least some hike-to camping, as I have the gear and I'm not keen on holing up in hotels for an entire trip.
    This depends. When you say hike-to-camping how hardcore are you willing to get? Are you talking legitimate backcountry camping or merely walk in a few miles and set up shop? I can't really speak to the latter beyond telling you there are things in Yellowstone that could keep one busy for weeks that also avoid the crowds, but if the former the Tetons are the place to go. The loop over Paintbrush Divide is regularly rated as one of the top ten hikes in the US and you won't see many people once you clear Jenny Lake no matter the season. If you do it, loop to the north first. Could also do the 40+ miles of the Teton Crest Trail which snags the second half of the Paintbrush loop. Can even cheat the Teton Crest and take the gondola up and start from the high point.

Legit speaking, a lot of this depends on you exact intentions.

ex:
    - You want kickass day trips, explore Yellowstone. Lone Star Geyser is one good example. Everyone goes and sits like a monkey at Old Faithful, but if you walk, Lone Star could eat up an entire day and you can go stick your hand in the thing. Though I wouldn't advise doing so.
    - You want to loaf for a week? Between the parks there's a place called Flagg Ranch. A dirt road out the back of its parking lot shoots into a national forest. Rough road, but drive back far enough and you can camp right on a lake, for as long as you want, for free. Couple reservoirs, dams, etc. Can set up shop there and day trip into the parks of you want.
    - If it's backcountry you're after, Yellowstone is useless. Sure, want a thrill...just wander out into the Lamar Valley, set up the tent and wait for the grizzlies to start snorting at it. No thanks. For backcountry the Tetons reign supreme due to the ability to get to high altitude. Much better payoff for the effort relative to lower elevation Yellowstone.

There are people who spend there entire lives in these places and never see everything. With a short time frame, what it is you want to see hinges greatly on the physical effort you're interested in putting forth, if any, as well as your specific interests, obviously. Can't speak to southern Utah so I'm no help there, but as the parents are retiring to Mesquite, Nev. I'm sure I'll manage to get that entire region hammered out relatively soon and I'll get back to you

All that said...have you thru-hiked Isle Royale?
    Last edited by XYZ; 04-04-2015 at 04:46 AM.
    "Yeah, because I’m the genius marketer, not a code freak like you guys. Besides, I’m wearing sandals so I am iconoclasting a little bit."

Still upright

I'll add one more thing about hiking the west. If you are used to sea level or close to sea level, and then expect to go hike to 14,000 ft, you might be wise to train up a bit, because the altitude will affect your ability to do much until you get used to it. There's a nice day hike in Colorado Springs up to pikes peak, but without some training it would be beyond most people from the east.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    But is it a dry heat?
    Bond martini dry.

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    All that said...have you thru-hiked Isle Royale?
    Not yet. In two trips, I've hiked/seen a good chunk of the northern half. Next time I go, I will likely take a whole week and do the "death march" - ferry down to Windigo, hike 50 miles back to Rock Harbor.

As for "hardcore-ness", for a first trip anywhere I would probably be inclined to stick to designated trails and campgrounds. I guess I need to do more research with regards to the points of interest in each park, and decide from there.

As a skier, I am aware of the physical challenges presented by altitude. Avoiding the worst of it is pretty simple - drink extra water and don't overexert too much the first few days. But yeah, kicking the tires on a cardio regimen now that it's spring is never a bad idea. Plus, I'm sure my doctor would appreciate it.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Waiting for more pics from St. Lucia, but Gurth's probably too busy drinking rum, listening to reggae, and watching gorgeous sunsets to give us any relief from our dreary lives.

I'm too busy and completely wiped by the time I get back to my room to even look at what photos I've taken, let alone post any.

11:00 pm and I'm struggling to stay awake right now. Luckily there is essentially no night life here, not that I drink or party much on trips like this anyway.

Doing a night dive tomorrow which will be a new experience.

Here's tomorrow's itinerary:

7:00 - Walk to plantation ruins with the wife through forest/jungle.

10:30 - Boat dive with son.

12:00 - Lunch on beach and then swim/snorkel/look for sea glass, etc.

6:00 - Shore dive with son.

7:30 - Dinner at beachside Indian restaurant.

9:?? - NCAA National Championship game.

Tuesday is more of the same with a day with some rastafarians, a sunset cruise and then dinner on the beach and a beach party.

Can see why I'm ready for sleep by 10:00 each night.

Btw, there is another family here from Wisconsin and the resort gave us their conference room (air conditioned!) along with a projection TV and our own bartender/server. There aren't TVs anywhere on this resort, including the bar.

Really can't say enough about the service at this resort. It has been so ridiculously over the top that I almost feel guilty. Thing is, everyone is completely genuine and do everything with a smile and really seem to want to make their guests happy and comfortable.

I have never been anywhere that combines this natural beauty, a great resort, great food and such top notch service.

I had big expectations for this trip and they have been completely obliterated.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I'll add one more thing about hiking the west. If you are used to sea level or close to sea level, and then expect to go hike to 14,000 ft, you might be wise to train up a bit, because the altitude will affect your ability to do much until you get used to it. There's a nice day hike in Colorado Springs up to pikes peak, but without some training it would be beyond most people from the east.
    No question...altitude has to be taken very seriously, especially if you're inexperienced and aren't fully aware kf its potential impacts. The first time we tried Longs Peak we did it the morning after driving out. Only time I've ever had altitude sickness. Strangest sensations I've ever had. I was smart enough to turn back at the keyhole but the two college cross country runners I was with pushed on. Made the summit but were puking messes the entire way down.

The next year, I went with two guys who were anything but college athletes...spent three days at around 10k feet in the Eagle's Nest Wilderness some 80 miles west of Denver before hitting Longs Peak, and we literally ended up running up the thing. The difference was amazing, and it was lesson #2 of 3 in my schooling as to how to properly treat mountains.

Lesson 1 came on a now closed trail in Glacier that I later found out was one of the locations that tragically inspired "Night of the Grizzlies," the other was a wild experience in the Adirondacks...which is a place not to be treaded upon lightly despite the lower elevation, and is the only place I've ever completely ****ed up. To the point I was constructing things in preparation for a soaking wet solo night with temps in the low 40s. Bothers me to this day and my actions were inexcusable. A classic case of how a few tiny mistakes can compound themselves into a major problem.

But yeah, mountains are not to be underestimated. Which is easier said than done.
    Last edited by XYZ; 04-06-2015 at 12:26 AM.

First time I hit up CO, major nosebleeds. Dry air. After that? Not a symptom in the least. I also have found that runners adjust better to higher altitudes and their effects.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I'm too busy and completely wiped by the time I get back to my room to even look at what photos I've taken, let alone post any.

11:00 pm and I'm struggling to stay awake right now. Luckily there is essentially no night life here, not that I drink or party much on trips like this anyway.

Doing a night dive tomorrow which will be a new experience.

Here's tomorrow's itinerary:

7:00 - Walk to plantation ruins with the wife through forest/jungle.

10:30 - Boat dive with son.

12:00 - Lunch on beach and then swim/snorkel/look for sea glass, etc.

6:00 - Shore dive with son.

7:30 - Dinner at beachside Indian restaurant.

9:?? - NCAA National Championship game.

Tuesday is more of the same with a day with some rastafarians, a sunset cruise and then dinner on the beach and a beach party.

Can see why I'm ready for sleep by 10:00 each night.

Btw, there is another family here from Wisconsin and the resort gave us their conference room (air conditioned!) along with a projection TV and our own bartender/server. There aren't TVs anywhere on this resort, including the bar.

Really can't say enough about the service at this resort. It has been so ridiculously over the top that I almost feel guilty. Thing is, everyone is completely genuine and do everything with a smile and really seem to want to make their guests happy and comfortable.

I have never been anywhere that combines this natural beauty, a great resort, great food and such top notch service.

I had big expectations for this trip and they have been completely obliterated.
    Be a little interested in what your Dad thinks of all this.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Be a little interested in what your Dad thinks of all this.

He's having a good time.

I'm so wiped out. Ready for bed and it's 9:15 here.

Last full day tomorrow.

Zip-lining, a dive and then the beach till dinner.

Still upright

I'm heading out to Lisbon in three weeks, do I need a car in Portugal?,( we are going down to the beach etc) or can I get away without it?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Capt

Detroit for games 3&4. And Yankees @ Tigers. Staying at greektown. $100 on red.
    Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 04-12-2015 at 06:40 PM.

So I've started to go through the photos and video from the trip.

I've got it organized from the 6 sources and organized into days and events within days.

I've been going through my GoPro footage from the diving that we did and the cool thing that I've found out about this footage is that when shot at 1080 and 60 fps, each of those frames is essentially a digital photo that I can screen capture and use just like the ones I took with my camera in its underwater housing.

It's been fun to look at the hours of footage and have a chance to drink it all in. I realize how fortunate I am to have had this opportunity to see such an amazing place as the reef can be.

Here is one of those frames...

PS - On the GoPro front, I've also realized that I'm quite ****ty at holding the camera steady. Most of the actual footage is for **** when it comes to video although there are ways to process it so that camera shake is minimized.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    So I've started to go through the photos and video from the trip.

I've got it organized from the 6 sources and organized into days and events within days.

I've been going through my GoPro footage from the diving that we did and the cool thing that I've found out about this footage is that when shot at 1080 and 60 fps, each of those frames is essentially a digital photo that I can screen capture and use just like the ones I took with my camera in its underwater housing.

It's been fun to look at the hours of footage and have a chance to drink it all in. I realize how fortunate I am to have had this opportunity to see such an amazing place as the reef can be.

Here is one of those frames...

PS - On the GoPro front, I've also realized that I'm quite ****ty at holding the camera steady. Most of the actual footage is for **** when it comes to video although there are ways to process it so that camera shake is minimized.
    Man that's clear.

Looking for Jacqueline Bisset.

Man that's clear.

Looking for Jacqueline Bisset.
    In a white t-shirt...

Headed south to Nola next weekend for a daughter's graduation. We will get out of town to Panama City Beach to chill for 3 or 4 days before returning to Nola for a few days for the graduation and other fun. My daughter is looking forward to just hanging out in the sun after the final push at work and school, and that will be nice, but I'm also wondering what there is to do there besides the gulf shore scene. Nature walks, cultural and historical sites, etc. Done some online searching, but any suggestions are welcome.

After seeing Gurth's recent stuff, whatever we do will seem like Netflix and card games.
    Last edited by burd; 05-03-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Headed south to Nola next weekend for a daughter's graduation. We will get out of town to Panama City Beach to chill for 3 or 4 days before returning to Nola for a few days for the graduation and other fun. My daughter is looking forward to just hanging out in the sun after the final push at work and school, and that will be nice, but I'm also wondering what there is to do there besides the gulf shore scene. Nature walks, cultural and historical sites, etc. Done some online searching, but any suggestions are welcome.

After seeing Gurth's recent stuff, whatever we do will seem like Netflix and card games.

I don't know...

NOLA sounds like fun to me - big fan of Cajun food.

Have never been to the Panhandle so can't help you. I'll say though that put me on just about any warm beach and I can be pretty happy.

"Let's Roll" - Todd Beamer, 9/11/01
    New Orleans is a GREAT vacation spot. We have gone multiple times, just for the food. Crawfish season is just underway, so be sure to get a crawfish boil, and get some crawfish étouffée as well (Chartles House has a good one, and you get a free appetizer if you check-in with Yelp!).

I've been there enough times that Bourbon Street is a bore... full of drunks and opportunistic folks who can spot a 'mark' a mile away (fortunately, I am far from being a 'mark'!). I'd rather drink at some off-Bourbon 'dives' than the Bourbon Street bars (Molly's Irish Pub comes to-mind), but on a positive note (pardon the pun) you can't walk anywhere near Bourbon without hearing some GREAT music. Second to the food is the music. If you're fortunate enough to catch a band called Skinny Tuba playing in the streets somewhere, stay and enjoy the show (and pick-up one or two of their CDs while you're there!).

Be sure to get yourself a Muffaletta... the 'famous' place for them is Central Grocery on Decatur, but there's an open-air cafe in the French Market right across the street (The Market Cafe) where you can get a good one, without standing in line to get it.

And do not leave that city without getting a Po' Boy!! Wish I could remember the name of the place in the financial district that is only open for breakfast and lunch, where I had what equates to a culinary religious experience. Some locals should be able to point you in the right direction for a good one.

Non-food activity in NOLA... I regret not making it to the WWII Museum yet. I have heard nothing but great things about that place... a must-do on our next trip. The aquarium is good, but I wouldn't define it as a must-do... Good if you have a few hours to kill. A Riverboat tour on the Natchez was pretty cool, but just for the experience... some cool thinks along he way to see, but no life-changing moments. Again, if you have the time...

Ride the street car to the Garden District to see some beautiful homes. Katrina wrecked this area, but it has made a good recovery. And then there is the Casino, but forget about that... just eat well!!

As for the FL panhandle... Panama City beach is nice, if you're into touristy beeches. Shallow water goes-out pretty far from the coast. But in my opinion, Mexico Beach (on the other side of the Air Force base) is the better beach... but I'm not into the touristy beeches.

what to do in NOLA? eat and listen.

Gurt - amazing picture. give us some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 3.14159

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Thread Information