X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Germany is stuck with its Purity law, which pertain to the ingredients used strictly for its beer brewing purposes. They went into effect a long time ago for reasons I don't recall exactly. Regardless, the Germans have brewers who lament the law's existence, and think it's why the Belgians have, in many ways, surpassed the Germans when it comes to brewing.
    You can brew a **** fine IPA while still following the purity laws. And a good stout too. Sure, you can't do a massive imperial stout, with some adjuncts and other flavors like vanilla and coffee, but still you can make a fine stout with malted barley, water, hops and yeast.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      You can brew a **** fine IPA while still following the purity laws. And a good stout too. Sure, you can't do a massive imperial stout, with some adjuncts and other flavors like vanilla and coffee, but still you can make a fine stout with malted barley, water, hops and yeast.
      I wouldn't know one way or the other, only relaying what I read some years ago about some German brewers wanting their purity laws rescinded.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Europe and the US are opposite in food. In the US you go to the cities for great food while, other than BBQ, rural American food is trash. In Europe, the rustic cuisine is wonderful and the city food is forgettable (Western Europe) or undigestable (Central Europe).
        I'm not sure the statement that rural food in the US is that correct. I have had some of the best burgers I've ever had at bars in the middle of nowhere (and burgers are really a quintessential American food, IMO). I would say that traditional rural food is boring, but nowadays, with the aforementioned BBQ, and with all of the other hidden gem places in the middle of nowhere, you can find **** fine tasty food outside of the cities these days.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm not sure the statement that rural food in the US is that correct. I have had some of the best burgers I've ever had at bars in the middle of nowhere (and burgers are really a quintessential American food, IMO). I would say that traditional rural food is boring, but nowadays, with the aforementioned BBQ, and with all of the other hidden gem places in the middle of nowhere, you can find **** fine tasty food outside of the cities these days.
          The King's Inn in Miesville is supposed to have some truly excellent burgers.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

The King's Inn in Miesville is supposed to have some truly excellent burgers.
            They do. Some of the best in MN, even if they've gone downhill in the last 15 years.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

They do. Some of the best in MN, even if they've gone downhill in the last 15 years.
              I drove by there a couple Sundays ago, on my way back from Barns Bluff in RW, and that place was packed.

Comment

I drove by there a couple Sundays ago, on my way back from Barns Bluff in RW, and that place was packed.
                Yeah, Sundays are usually very busy there, for some reason. I do recommend checking it out when you have a chance, they are quite tasty burgers.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Europe and the US are opposite in food. In the US you go to the cities for great food while, other than BBQ, rural American food is trash. In Europe, the rustic cuisine is wonderful and the city food is forgettable (Western Europe) or undigestable (Central Europe).
                  While in general you may be correct, in addition to BBQ I would add cajun, mexican and maybe even some seafood to the list. If you get into the rural areas where there are large hispanic populations, you can find some great restaurants serving central american style dishes. My experience with Cajun cooking was the further you are from New Orleans, the better. I also found some great seafood in some of the more rural areas of the northeast during my travels.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well, were being put up in €280/night rooms at the Sheraton. It will suffice.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Germany is stuck with its Purity law, which pertain to the ingredients used strictly for its beer brewing purposes. They went into effect a long time ago for reasons I don't recall exactly. Regardless, the Germans have brewers who lament the law's existence, and think it's why the Belgians have, in many ways, surpassed the Germans when it comes to brewing.
                      That's changing. They have a number of American style craft breweries now. That law is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

nowadays, with the aforementioned BBQ, and with all of the other hidden gem places in the middle of nowhere, you can find **** fine tasty food outside of the cities these days.
                        It's getting better but I'd still roll the dice with a city restaurant than a country one for dinner*.

I know what you mean about burgers, but a state highway diner burger is cromulent because you're only eating it because you've been hours on the road and you're starving plus you really stopped to use the sh-tter and now that you're relieved all of your senses are in heaven.

* But not breakfast. You're right about breakfast: I'll take a farm state sh-thole diner's eggs over anywhere else on earth. But I also have incredibly simple tastes, as in "2 eggs over easy, 4 sausage links, white toast with butter" is my idea of 4 Michelin stars.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          That's changing. They have a number of American style craft breweries now. That law is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
                          That is good to hear.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

In fact, the one I saw online had "Craft beer isn't a crime" in English painted on the side of the building.
                            Code:

Comment

Layover heavens

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.41331b2d06f9
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That is good to hear.
                                As an home-brewer myself, my girlfriend suggested we start brewing more regularly when we get to Germany in an effort to eventually open our own microbrewery of there. It's a tough market but definitely in need of some variety.

Comment

Working...
                                X