Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    No. Not now. Not ever. I am afraid of heights and I'd be cleaning my pants after the 1st meter.
    Didn't need to see that. My 24-year old daughter is about to start a thru hike of the Lycian Way in southern Turkey with her Spanish boyfriend. It's midlin, as thru hikes go (300 miles), but she let us know that they plan to do the Caminito del Rey later this year. I thought it was a kind of cultural hike that thousands of people, young and old, take in Spain, but was obviously wrong about that. Never spend too much time worrying about what my kids were doing, but you can't help doing some of it. So thanks for the pic. Jerk.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    No. Not now. Not ever. I am afraid of heights and I'd be cleaning my pants after the 1st meter.
    i never understood the fear of heights. If I'm a mile in the air on a platform that's 100'x100', I'm not worried in the least. If I'm up 25' on a platform that's 1'x2', then I'm likely to give it a thought.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    i never understood the fear of heights. If I'm a mile in the air on a platform that's 100'x100', I'm not worried in the least. If I'm up 25' on a platform that's 1'x2', then I'm likely to give it a thought.
    For my job, I routinely go up 30 feet in the air on a platform about 5' x 5'. For the first couple weeks, I was very tentative. Now it doesn't bother me. But overall, heights scare the crap out of me. I don't even do roller coasters/etc at amusement parks.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    For my job, I routinely go up 30 feet in the air on a platform about 5' x 5'. For the first couple weeks, I was very tentative. Now it doesn't bother me. But overall, heights scare the crap out of me. I don't even do roller coasters/etc at amusement parks.
    And here I have pictures from rock climbing, taken just after topping out on the route, standing on the edge of a cliff while overlooking a valley. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've fallen while climbing, my life in the hands of a buddy who sure as **** better have been paying attention or I'd have been in a heap of trouble is I'd have lost my grip. (It turns out that s/he was whenever I fell. Whodathunk?)
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Heights get me although I don't mind roller coasters or flying or things like that. Put me on a roof or up a high ladder though and the knees get weak.

A couple of years ago we went to the ski-flying (like ski jumping only much bigger) facility in the UP (near the Porkies) and you can go up on it. My son and I tried, but couldn't make ourselves go all the way to the top on the run. There were several areas where you had to walk on see-through metal grates and the body just wouldn't follow our commands. Have no idea how the skiers do it.

Didn't feel too bad as when we got back to the elevator room, a marine/soldier(?) was in there and hadn't even been able to leave that room. He told us he had done 2 tours in Iraq, but this beat him. We all laughed at ourselves.

I posted video that I took of us:

link>

You can see a couple of ladies up the run who are clearly having their own struggles.

The tower is 18 stories tall at the top. I believe the platform I was on was 14 stories.

I'm puckering a bit just remembering what it was like.

Last edited by Gurtholfin; 03-20-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I have a severe fear of heights (I passed out once in my backyard because I looked up, saw a plane, and couldn't shake the sensation of standing on the wing), but I finally started enjoying roller coasters about 15 years ago and now I'm addicted. I think they're actually more pleasurable because of my fear, because I feel like I defeat it by riding them.

Which is dumb, but I've learned not to ignore anything that makes you feel good.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Deport Right Wing Nuts brookyone's Avatar

For those like me who are not so comfortable with heights.

https://youtu.be/GVybgJHgdnA
    Minnesota Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Heights get me although I don't mind roller coasters or flying or things like that. Put me on a roof or up a high ladder though and the knees get weak.

A couple of years ago we went to the ski-flying (like ski jumping only much bigger) facility in the UP (near the Porkies) and you can go up on it. My son and I tried, but couldn't make ourselves go all the way to the top on the run. There were several areas where you had to walk on see-through metal grates and the body just wouldn't follow our commands. Have no idea how the skiers do it.

Didn't feel too bad as when we got back to the elevator room, a marine/soldier(?) was in there and hadn't even been able to leave that room. He told us he had done 2 tours in Iraq, but this beat him. We all laughed at ourselves.

I posted video that I took of us:

link>

You can see a couple of ladies up the run who are clearly having their own struggles.

The tower is 18 stories tall at the top. I believe the platform I was on was 14 stories.

I'm puckering a bit just remembering what it was like.

I'm surprised you were able to look at your phone screen while you were turning around up there.

St. Lucia is stunning.

This was my view from my wraparound porch this morning as I had my coffee.

That's looking to the left. To my right is the bay that we are on and where the sun goes down.

Can't believe how beautiful this island is.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

wubba lubba dub dub

What are those green things?

St. Lucia is stunning.

That's looking to the left. To my right is the bay that we are on and where the sun goes down.

Why are you on the Forums?

Just booked my train ticket to MSP for September 30 through October 5. This time, for the train ride from Chicago to MSP, which will last from 2:15 PM to almost 10 PM CST, I will bring a tablet or something.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

St. Lucia is stunning.

Wow!
    Almost looks like a place where a Bond villain would set up shop.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    Wow!
    Almost looks like a place where a Bond villain would set up shop.
    That's his night job.

St. Lucia is stunning.

Wow. What does your Dad think of all that, Gurth?
    Last edited by burd; 04-04-2015 at 05:35 AM.

After two years in a row trekking to Isle Royale, I'm thinking about doing a swing out to some of the western National Parks later this year. The first debate is, which ones? Realistically, I think I could do a maximum of 3 in a single trip, depending. Obviously, there are some that can be logically grouped together. For instance, Canyonlands & Arches (and possibly Capitol Reef?), or Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Anyone have any advice?

I'd be looking to do at least some hike-to camping, as I have the gear and I'm not keen on holing up in hotels for an entire trip.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    After two years in a row trekking to Isle Royale, I'm thinking about doing a swing out to some of the western National Parks later this year. The first debate is, which ones? Realistically, I think I could do a maximum of 3 in a single trip, depending. Obviously, there are some that can be logically grouped together. For instance, Canyonlands & Arches (and possibly Capitol Reef?), or Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Anyone have any advice?

I'd be looking to do at least some hike-to camping, as I have the gear and I'm not keen on holing up in hotels for an entire trip.
    Depends on when you plan to go. Canyonlands/Arches is a different experience from Yellowstone/Tetons simply based on the geology, but they are drastically different experiences weather wise. Arches is great in April and May and again in the fall, whereas the Yellowstone gig is pretty iffy during those months. I love the West, though, and those are both great trips. Bryce might stretch your time a little if you go to Arches, since you would probably take in the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but it is breathtaking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Depends on when you plan to go. Canyonlands/Arches is a different experience from Yellowstone/Tetons simply based on the geology, but they are drastically different experiences weather wise. Arches is great in April and May and again in the fall, whereas the Yellowstone gig is pretty iffy during those months.
    Yeah, I sort of figured that being in southern Utah in July is a bad idea.

I was thinking mid-to-late September. Even early October would be in play if we're talking the Utah parks. If I do Yellowstone/Teton, I'm really keen to avoid them when the schools are still on summer break, as I know they are among the most popular.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Still upright

I was thinking mid-to-late September. Even early October would be in play if we're talking the Utah parks. If I do Yellowstone/Teton, I'm really keen to avoid them when the schools are still on summer break, as I know they are among the most popular.
    I've hiked most of those. My favorite is observation point in Zion. It's a 5.5 hour hike round trip with a 2500' climb to an elevation of about 6400 ft. Do not do this if you are afraid of heights. It's pretty far from the Tetons as you might Imagine. In july, Hiking the narrows is what most people do there because the water level is low and it's not too hot .. However watch for thunderstorms. The park may not let you go if the weather will be bad.
    Take a stout stick as a walking cane as well. Also some of those parks are better suited for mountain biking, so you might consider that, especially at Arches.

My personal trips this year are Lisbon in may for 10 days, which was recommended to me by someone on here, and Italy and Dubrovnik, Croatia, in September for a month.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 04-04-2015 at 08:13 AM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
    I can attest to that. Hotter. Than. Hell.

Thread Information