X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    Coming back Sateside after going into Canada a few weeks ago was culture shock in a not good way. I find I think more like a European/ UK person
    That's how I feel whenever I come back. In many ways, European thinking is simply more natural and comfortable. American thinking is considerably more dichotomous and aggressive.

Europe : America :: America : New York City

The basic problem is American corporatized culture (television, sports, commerce, politics, organized religion) is dominated by our worst voices, because those voices are both the loudest and also the dumbest and thus easiest to sell to.

There are plenty of communities in the States where intelligence and thoughtfulness are civic and public virtues. Just not corporatized space. We traded humanity for convenience.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-09-2017, 03:07 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      That's how I feel whenever I come back. In many ways, European thinking is simply more natural and comfortable. American thinking is considerably more dichotomous and aggressive.

The basic problem is American corporatized culture (television, sports, commerce, politics, organized religion) is dominated by our worst voices, because those voices are both the loudest and also the dumbest and thus easiest to sell to.

There are plenty of communities in the States where intelligence and thoughtfulness are civic and public virtues. Just not corporatized space. We traded humanity for convenience.
      I can tell you my recent hours-long jump from rural midwestern America to Vancouver had a bit of a science fiction feel to it.

Comment

Yep. It is hard re-enter all the self absorption, don't share, make sure the other guy doesn't get something for free, etc when it works so well other places. Going to St Croix- a 'part' of the US but I will struggle when I come home. Say hello to the bus driver in the airport and he twitches like he's been shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          heh
          Coming back Sateside after going into Canada a few weeks ago was culture shock in a not good way. I find I think more like a European/ UK person (well, I think so that is a problem!). Pretty much anywhere I go I think I could live there.

When I was younger took German because my Dad had visions of me going to med school and they had a lot of med books in German. I can swear, count and say come here please. THat is the extent of what I remember now
          From my misspent youth:

Earschplittenloudenboomer

https://youtu.be/3GTbWnI-jx8
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            From my misspent youth:

Earschplittenloudenboomer

https://youtu.be/3GTbWnI-jx8
            When I was engaging in mispent youth my father would yell, in a very fierce voice, Kommen sie hier BITTE!!! Then he would count to ten in German. That was a very, very bad thing to hear.

Comment

Then he would count to ten in German. That was a very, very bad thing to hear.
              I can imagine. Even gay men speaking German sound like Nazis.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Say hello to the bus driver in the airport and he twitches like he's been shot.
                Too be fair, Austrians are like that too. They're a very uptight people, particularly out in the sticks.

Being polite to people in New York or New England is hilarious. The stick is so far up their as-s they choke on it rather than return the gesture.

One of the paradoxes of the States is the people out in Buttf-ck Stupid Country are also the most friendly, as long as you're One Of Them (which I can pass for as an old white male).
                Last edited by Kepler; 08-10-2017, 01:24 PM.
                Cornell University

Comment

I can imagine. Even gay men speaking German sound like Nazis.
                  Marine Major, Ret. When I was young he sounded scary when he was nice.

Too be fair, Austrians are like that too. They're a very uptight people, particularly out in the sticks.

Being polite to people in New York or New England is hilarious. The stick is so far up their as-s they choke on it rather than return the gesture.

One of the paradoxes of the States is the people out in Buttf-ck Stupid Country are also the most friendly, as long as you're One Of Them (which I can pass for as an old white male).
                  ::Raises hand::
                  We have lived in the same house for 23 yrs. Until last yr the guy who lives at the corner of my street would look like I shot him every time I waved at him. Grew up behind an AF base (in Mass) and went to school briefly on base overseas. Default in Mass is to not talk to someone for 5 yrs then maybe think about acknowledging them. This is not the way things work when people get transfered out every few yrs. it took me a very long time to figure out it wasn't me that people were being stuck up to. It was just the way they were. I talk to everyone (like I was on base, because that is how it works there) and some people just can't get over that. It weirds them out

Comment

This must be why I seem to do so well in New York, even though I've only be there a few times. I'm perfectly comfortable trudging right through a Don't Walk sign, while I grumble something about "tourists" who just stand and wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      This must be why I seem to do so well in New York, even though I've only be there a few times. I'm perfectly comfortable trudging right through a Don't Walk sign, while I grumble something about "tourists" who just stand and wait.
                      In my misspent youth, I was waiting for a walk sign on 8th Ave on the walk from the Port Authority bus station to MSG. A beat cop blew past me and muttered "What are you waiting for? Spring?" Figured it out after that.

Now, in NYC when crossing streets, if I have a clear path, I go.

Rumor has it DC cops will ticket Skywalker. I avoid DC like Kep avoids the Confederacy.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        I was waiting for a walk sign on 8th Ave on the walk from the Port Authority bus station to MSG. A beat cop blew past me and muttered "What are you waiting for? Spring?" Figured it out after that.

Now, in NYC when crossing streets, if I have a clear path, I go.

Rumor has it DC cops will ticket Skywalker. I avoid DC like Kep avoids the Confederacy.
                        The streets in Manhattan are all one-ways, aren't they? That makes it quite a bit easier to judge when there is a safe opening.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                          The streets in Manhattan are all one-ways, aren't they? That makes it quite a bit easier to judge when there is a safe opening.
                          Most are. Because the Avenues are so wide, you have to wait. The streets are 2 open lanes wide, max.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yeah, with the streets it is easy. Just carve around/through the gaggle of flyover folk standing there taking selfies and gawking up at the skyscrapers, and go.

Avenues are a little trickier, but there are few incidents that can't be resolved by giving a honking driver the New York/New Jersey salute.

Friends don't let friends stray into Times Square, especially during peak tourist times. To go to theaters/shows, walk up 8th Ave. and then cut over.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Yeah, with the streets it is easy. Just carve around/through the gaggle of flyover folk standing there taking selfies and gawking up at the skyscrapers, and go.

Avenues are a little trickier, but there are few incidents that can't be resolved by giving a honking driver the New York/New Jersey salute.

Friends don't let friends stray into Times Square, especially during peak tourist times. To go to theaters/shows, walk up 8th Ave. and then cut over.
                              I took the family to NYC for a day visit a few years ago. Did the usual stuff. Ground zero, Statue of Liberty, Grand Central, Battery. The fun was explaining to walk fast and don't dawdle else you'd get run over.

The subway system was a novel experience for those used to the DC Metro. We had to switch from an uptown express to a downtown local to get to our stop. This was beyond my wife's comprehension. After I showed her the map, I then explained we had to go up a flight of stairs and the down another and to do it quickly if we wanted to catch the train. Again another level of incomprehension.

She's not going to NYC again.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Most are. Because the Avenues are so wide, you have to wait. The streets are 2 open lanes wide, max.
                                Not anymore it seems with the dam bike paths. Makes traffic crawl
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X