This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    St. John and St. Maarten are two that are on the list at this point.
    For what you say you're looking for, I'd echo St. John although you can certainly get away from the touristy stuff on any of the islands if you want to.

Comment

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      For what you say you're looking for, I'd echo St. John although you can certainly get away from the touristy stuff on any of the islands if you want to.
      St John has 2 areas of civilization. There are hiking trails, beaches, snorkeling areas. I went last April and there were barely any people on the beach. it was amazing. Cruz Bay is expensive and very compact. Everything was walkable in town if you can handle extremely steep hills. As in drive up them, take a turn and you can't see over the hood.

Comment

Anyone know of any good hikes in Phoenix area other than camelback?

Comment

Having a 747 fly over you at the beach is cool
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            Cruising to Nassau (blah), St. Maarten and St. Thomas tomorrow for the week. Should be a fun time.
            Not much to do in Nassau- other than Atlantis. We normally run at that port.

St Maarten- Orient beach for the lack of clothing, Maho beach for the airport, Marigot for the French food, or Anguilla for the dolphins. Actually, the thing we've done the most of the most there is the America's Cup Yacht racing- which is a BLAST.

St Thomas- as mentioned, great beaches in St John, or a snorkeling excursion way away.

Please let me know what you think of St. Maarten. It's one of the few Caribbean islands that sounds to me like it might be worth a trip. I have zero interest in St. Thomas, Barbados, and the more "touristy/beachy" ones. If I'm going to tolerate the year-round humidity, I need some good scenery, or a unique culture.
            When where you last in both?

To us, Barbados is nowhere near as touristy as St Maarten. Maybe you are thinking of the Bahamas. Barbados barely has anything near the port- which is really cool. Even has some great snorkeling right near downtown if you are ok with a long swim from the beach (turtles and a wreck). We like Barbados- and Mount Gay rum- get the aged "1703" for some great sipping rum.

Comment

Last week TAP Portugal was offering round trips to many european cities for 350 dollars but I don't know if they still are.

I loved Norway when I went and I found the people especially helpful.

Also this last week I spent two days visiting Boston. It's a great place to visit, but my rental car taxes were unusually high. the total cost of the car was 26 dollars. the total bill..... 73. 82. get a grip Boston. Next time i'm flying in to Manchester.
              Last edited by manurespreader; 01-16-2017, 10:15 AM.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                If you're a Swede, you can stay the hill away from Norway.
                A thousand Swedes
                Running through the weeds
                Chased by one Norwegian!
                Originally posted by mookie1995
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Looking to do a guided Grand Canyon day tour from Phoenix. Any experiences, good or bad? What should I look for in a tour (as far as where it goes, etc)? No planes or helicopters.
                  Last edited by jen; 01-22-2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Last week TAP Portugal was offering round trips to many european cities for 350 dollars but I don't know if they still are.

Also this last week I spent two days visiting Boston. It's a great place to visit, but my rental car taxes were unusually high. the total cost of the car was 26 dollars. the total bill..... 73. 82. get a grip Boston. Next time i'm flying in to Manchester.
                    If you drive in Boston, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                      A thousand Swedes
                      Running through the weeds
                      Chased by one Norwegian!
                      It was at the Battle of Copenhagen!
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post

Don't forget Providence!
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Don't forget Provicid!!1!!
                          FYP- learn to spell it right, man!

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Not much to do in Nassau- other than Atlantis. We normally run at that port.

St Maarten- Orient beach for the lack of clothing, Maho beach for the airport, Marigot for the French food, or Anguilla for the dolphins. Actually, the thing we've done the most of the most there is the America's Cup Yacht racing- which is a BLAST.

St Thomas- as mentioned, great beaches in St John, or a snorkeling excursion way away.
                            Yep, was my 3rd time in Nassau, just kinda poked around downtown and grabbed a meal/drink. Only had like 6 hours anyways.

St. Thomas was 2nd stop, did a pretty neat excursion with a submersible craft that has a fishbowl for your head, so you stay dry above shoulders. BOSS underwater adventure or something like that. Also went up to Paradise Point and overlooked the cove in Charlotte Amalie. Very scenic view, unfortunately it was a bit hazy out to sea.

I actually did the America's Cup Regatta in St. Maarten. Very fun, helping lead Stars and Stripes to a victory over Canada II. Didn't have too much time after to poke around, but the family went to Maho Beach and enjoyed watching the planes come in. Too bad KLM doesn't fly the 747 in anymore.

Booked a couple cruises for next January before we got off this cruise. One out of San Juan to the southern Caribbean (St. Thomas, St Kitts, Curaçao and Aruba), followed shortly after by a short one from Tampa to Key West and Cozumel.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Please let me know what you think of St. Maarten. It's one of the few Caribbean islands that sounds to me like it might be worth a trip. I have zero interest in St. Thomas, Barbados, and the more "touristy/beachy" ones. If I'm going to tolerate the year-round humidity, I need some good scenery, or a unique culture.
                              As noted just above/below depending on your post display, I didn't really get to truly explore St. Maarten too much. I did enjoy the area around Phillipsburg that I saw, and the family enjoyed Maho Beach. I certainly want to return at some point and get around the island more.

Our guide for the America's Cup excursion did mention he felt that if we were to stay on the island, his ideal length is about 10 days (travel days on each end). Gives enough time to really see the island, do what you want to do and not feel rushed.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                FYP- learn to spell it right, man!
                                is PROVICED} still in Hockey Rast?

Comment

Working...
                                X