X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Planning two trips, each to a place I've never been. Spring in New Orleans after the crowds have left town; fall in Santa Fe as a long (years and years) advance scouting for retirement.
    I've been told by some New Orleans natives that if you want to get some of that Mardi Gras feel while avoiding the giant crowds, you should go the week prior. That party atmosphere is already there, a number of acts are in town, getting ready for Mardi Gras, but again, you don't have the crowds and save some money on hotel costs.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I've been told by some New Orleans natives that if you want to get some of that Mardi Gras feel while avoiding the giant crowds, you should go the week prior. That party atmosphere is already there, a number of acts are in town, getting ready for Mardi Gras, but again, you don't have the crowds and save some money on hotel costs.
      I've been there the week after. All you get is the over powering stench of urine and vomit.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I've been there the week after. All you get is the over powering stench of urine and vomit.
        You get that year round I think. I've been there a few times for work, always in November. Last time I wasn't paying attention and I stepped in a pot hole on Bourbon St. Over my ankle in the most putrid water imaginable. Brand new shoes and I thought I was going to have to burn them, but after washing/disinfecting they no longer smelled like **** and stale beer.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Thanks.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Please don't laugh, but my beloved bride has a hankering for Branson. Worth it???
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Please don't laugh, but my beloved bride has a hankering for Branson. Worth it???
              Just try to avoid Ferguson when getting there; I hear ****'s going down.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                Where in Maine? Lots of neat little villages along the coast. I live in Bar Harbor, which is beautiful in the summer (but busy).
                I have NO idea, the potential itinerary is wide open. All I know for sure it I want some fresh lobsta, I don't want to get sucked into a lot of touristy spots and maybe do some ocean fishing on a charter. I'm open to some recommendations.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Just booked a day with these folks in St. Lucia...

http://tributetothelion.blogspot.com/

The reviews on Trip Advisor are off the charts and unanimous, so I'm not too worried about it being a trap.

I have other friends who have done similar things (tings ) in Jamaica and they rave about it.

Really looking forward to this...

Comment

Oh yeah, and pops calls me the other day wondering if we want to go on a "jazzy" sunset cruise. It's the normal sunset cruise, but with a sax player!!!

-facepalm-

I honestly can't think of anything worse than a live smooth jazz musician on a ****ing boat with me. I'd have to throw him off.

I want to hear nothing but the wind and the waves - maybe some reggae on low volume.

Luckily the only day of the week that they do the "jazzy" cruise is the day we arrive, so I was able to diplomatically bring up how wiped everyone is on a travel day and while the "jazzy" cruise would be nice, don't you think that the cruise would be better more towards the end of our trip?

Whew!

Just shows how different people can have radically different ideas of what might be a good experience.

Comment

So I booked my first ever real cruise to leave on Friday, I have done a Nile Cruise in Egypt and the Greek Islands but they were more just to get me to the ancient sights I wanted to see. The Nile cruise had no activities just a a room and meals while the Greek cruise did have a lot of the usual stuff when you are off the boat each morning at 6:45 a.m I didn't hit the shows at night and some of the other activities they had. Surprising this was the least expensive choice of my vacation options, but since it leaves from NYC I don't have to worry about flights, hotels the night before etc. Hitting Puerto Rico, St Maarten, Tortola and St Thomas, it does spend quite a few days at sea 2 1/2 days down and 2 1/2 days back. Other than hitting the forts in San Juan don't really have anything that appears to be must see so just going to enjoy not being a work and in the cold for a week and a half.
                      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                        We are heading to Japan in April or May for a 2 week honeymoon. Going to see Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, and Osaka.
                        This is finally scheduled for the end of March, for 2 weeks.

Seeing Tokyo Disney one of the days on recommendation. Setup 2 full days of having a guide as well. One in Tokyo and one in Kyoto.

Also spending a couple nights in a traditional Ryokan inn while in Hakone.

We may also day trip from Kyoto to Osaka since we have an extra day there with no plans.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Going to Hawaii for my first time in mid-March. Realized this will be during the conference tournaments. Wonder if they get Big Ten Network in Hawaii? Heh, heh.

Then Florida in May which is an annual thing. Have a bunch of family there including 2 brothers, we always get them and a bunch of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. around Florida and PA (and me in VA) together and stay at the beach for a week

Comment

Originally posted by nappyvalley View Post
                            Going to Hawaii for my first time in mid-March. Realized this will be during the conference tournaments. Wonder if they get Big Ten Network in Hawaii? Heh, heh.

Then Florida in May which is an annual thing. Have a bunch of family there including 2 brothers, we always get them and a bunch of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. around Florida and PA (and me in VA) together and stay at the beach for a week
                            Where in Hawaii? We went to Maui 2 yrs ago now. Was fantastic.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by nappyvalley View Post

Anyone who would waste even a moment's time while in Hawaii watching sports sans a championship game that their team is in... is a questionable person.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                Where in Hawaii? We went to Maui 2 yrs ago now. Was fantastic.
                                We're doing the Big Island and Maui for a few days each. While on Maui we'll do the Road to Hana tour and then chill at a resort in Lahaina for a few days. Where in Maui were you? Any tips?

Comment

Working...
                                X