This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

So it's 90% likely I am being sent to Chicago for work for 4 weeks (with weekend flybacks). I haven't spent any time there in 15 years. Other than the "Chiraq" moniker it's incurred, is there anything new-ish I should know about?

Also, what's the best way to get to/from ORD and downtown? I typically use Uber in situations where renting a car would either make no sense (2 out of 3 are near each other: Airport, hotel, or client site), and/or where I don't want to be responsible for driving (a metro area the size of Chicago). It's my understanding that Uber recently got authorization to pick up and drop off at O'Hare. Alternatively, I've never ridden the L - is it reasonably safe, and easy to make transfers?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      So it's 90% likely I am being sent to Chicago for work for 4 weeks (with weekend flybacks). I haven't spent any time there in 15 years. Other than the "Chiraq" moniker it's incurred, is there anything new-ish I should know about?

Also, what's the best way to get to/from ORD and downtown? I typically use Uber in situations where renting a car would either make no sense (2 out of 3 are near each other: Airport, hotel, or client site), and/or where I don't want to be responsible for driving (a metro area the size of Chicago). It's my understanding that Uber recently got authorization to pick up and drop off at O'Hare. Alternatively, I've never ridden the L - is it reasonably safe, and easy to make transfers?
      The "L" runs from ORD to the Loop via the Blue Line and would probably be the easiest way to get to/from ORD. I've regularly used the Orange line to go from Midway Airport to the Loop And the Red and Brown lines to go to the North Side and never had an issue. As with most cities, use common sense. The VENTRA app is a good way to learn the system. I've never needed it, so not sure about using Uber around the airports.

As far as "what's new?", what kind of info are you looking for? Are you staying out near ORD and commuting in? Overall the downtown area has been cleaned up and made more walkable. Lots of new park space has been developed as well around the Loop in the past 15 years. The "South Loop" area has also been readily cleaned up and is now home to lots of shopping, dining, and residential development.
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        The "L" runs from ORD to the Loop via the Blue Line and would probably be the easiest way to get to/from ORD. I've regularly used the Orange line to go from Midway Airport to the Loop And the Red and Brown lines to go to the North Side and never had an issue. As with most cities, use common sense. The VENTRA app is a good way to learn the system. I've never needed it, so not sure about using Uber around the airports.

As far as "what's new?", what kind of info are you looking for? Are you staying out near ORD and commuting in? Overall the downtown area has been cleaned up and made more walkable. Lots of new park space has been developed as well around the Loop in the past 15 years. The "South Loop" area has also been readily cleaned up and is now home to lots of shopping, dining, and residential development.
        The client is literally in the middle of downtown, a block from Grant Park, but sadly I am not that rich. Company policy says the closest I can stay at the moment is on the north side of the river, and that depends on how far out I am booking (duh).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Oswiecim. Must visit.
          it's on the list.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So, I just received word that my 28-year old daughter took a job in Vancouver BC after living in Atlanta for 9 years. I've never been; nor has she, other than for two days for interviews. Any of you familiar enough with the city to comment on what it's like?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              So, I just received word that my 28-year old daughter took a job in Vancouver BC after living in Atlanta for 9 years. I've never been; nor has she, other than for two days for interviews. Any of you familiar enough with the city to comment on what it's like?
              It's supposed to be the Canadian version of Seattle, only with slightly better weather and marginally better hockey.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Driven through it. Gorgeous. Beyond that, its typically rated as one of the top five cities in the world.

Googled: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...s+in+the+world
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Driven through it. Gorgeous. Beyond that, its typically rated as one of the top five cities in the world.

Googled: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...s+in+the+world
                  Wow, what a stupid survey. 5 cities are Aussie/NZ, 3 are Canadian, 1 isn't even named. (it has snow on the ground, so at least isn't Australian.)

Edit - Sorry I was talking about one of the links, the Daily Telegraph one.
                  Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

It's the best city on the west coast, which makes it the best city in North America. Far more cosmopolitan and less $$$ than SF, more interesting things to do than Portland, less self-absorbed than Seattle, and across the board better QOL than LA. Only SD gives it a run.

If she's outdoorsy and athletic she's going to be in heaven. If she's a foodie or artistic Vancouver is where it's at if you don't want to deal with the constant tension of NYC. I'd kill to live there.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I've been asked to head up a new operation of 1,800 in another part of the country starting as early as 3 months from now. It would mean moving the family again (and the 3rd new school within 2.5 years for the kids) although the physical move itself wouldn't be that drastic. They'd have to ship my car there and it's amazing how much household s**t we've acquired in so little time, but it wouldn't that painful. I'd most likely re-up my contract which means if I want them to pay for the move home I'd be here another 2 years. Lots of perks and opportunities, but there is a lot to think about.

Iloilo, Panay Island, Philippines

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        I've been asked to head up a new operation of 1,800 in another part of the country starting as early as 3 months from now. It would mean moving the family again (and the 3rd new school within 2.5 years for the kids) although the physical move itself wouldn't be that drastic. They'd have to ship my car there and it's amazing how much household s**t we've acquired in so little time, but it wouldn't that painful. I'd most likely re-up my contract which means if I want them to pay for the move home I'd be here another 2 years. Lots of perks and opportunities, but there is a lot to think about.

Just remember that each move brings you closer to your endgame: Fargo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

There's part of the Philippines that don't like us. They have long memories from the subjugation by the Army in the early 1900's.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Fantastic place. Rents are a bit high, but otherwise can't be beat.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              Fantastic place. Rents are a bit high, but otherwise can't be beat.
                              Well there are also plenty of Canuckelhead fans there. That's a big downer.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                There's part of the Philippines that don't like us. They have long memories from the subjugation by the Army in the early 1900's.
                                Perhaps that used to be the case? We've had "boots on the ground" there for going on 2 years with nary a word of strife or discomfort.

Comment

Working...
                                X