X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Off to Philly tomorrow morning for 5 days. Anyone have any suggestions for food? Done some research and I've come up with a few possibilities...

- Monk's Café for the mussels and huge beer selection.
    - McGillin's Olde Ale House for the Corned Beef Cheesesteak (secret menu item FTW!)
    - Reading Terminal Market for various restaurants
    - Oyster House for a good Seafood dinner

Seems that most of the "Cheesesteak" places are overrated. I'm gonna be eating "stadium food" for 3-4 meals, so don't mind paying for quality with other meals. What else does the city have to offer?
    I really enjoyed the Bru Craft & Wurst. It's on the same block as McGillin's, but on the north side of the block instead of the south. A nice selection of of local craft beers and german style food.

We also had a real nice Italian meal at Serafina, which is on 18th Street about 4 blocks west/southwest of Penn Square.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Now accepting suggestions for Rome and the Amalfi Coast.

2 days in the former, 4 in the latter.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

You will enjoy Rome. It's a lot like Fargo but with more Olive Gardens.

Comment

Find a walking tour guide for Rome. Since you're only there for two days, you'll be glad to have done this as they'll take you through the streets on the most efficient route to hit important historical buildings, as well you'll receive a little background and a story. They were fairly cheap when I did mine - $10 per person, give or take, and a tip to the guide.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm looking for help on Poland. Warsaw, Gdansk?, Krakow, and then on to Prague. any suggestions?
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I'm looking for help on Poland. Warsaw, Gdansk?, Krakow, and then on to Prague. any suggestions?
              Oswiecim. Must visit.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

There is so much to see in and around Rome, but if you have an interest in the Roman Empire I highly suggest getting out to see Ostia Antica.

It's only about 20 miles from Rome, and I want to say about a 40 minute train ride depending on where exactly you start from. The train is part of Rome's metro system so if you buy a metro pass it will be good for this leg.

Ostia Antica was ancient Rome's sea port, home to 100,000 people at its peak. Because of natural disaster and silting it no longer rests on the sea, but it was also buried and preserved. You could compare it to Pompeii only it's closer to Rome, much less crowded, and you enjoy much greater access. We spent over 4 hours wandering around this ancient city, climbing the steps of more well preserved multi-level buildings and descending into basements and tunnels.
                We didn't have a guided tour (which are available I believe) but we did have my brother who read up and was able to point out and inform about specific mosaics, frescoes, buildings and districts. I'd probably suggest either a guide or a good guide book if you want to get the most out of your visit.

After seeing the ancient Ostia we continued on the train another 5 minutes or so to the modern Ostia - a suburb of Rome. We spent about an hour there drinking some beer and eating some street food along the sea. It was a refreshing break from the historical overload of Rome and a chance to see a more contemporary and common Italian culture.

A couple more resources:
                http://www.ostia-antica.org/
                https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/ostia_antica.html

Comment

Dallas/Forth Worth and Houston (and in between). What to do? Where to eat? On the list so far: NASA tour, Dallas Zoo, Dealey Plaza (and baseball, of course). I won't have a car in Houston, but I will in DFW - staying in Arlington. Have never been to Texas.
                  Last edited by jen; 06-09-2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Was not impressed with Dallas outside of downtown. Even then...

There's a gigantic cowboy bar/music venue south of downtown that might be interesting (the conference I went to rented it out one night). Gilly's i think.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Was not impressed with Dallas outside of downtown. Even then...

There's a gigantic cowboy bar/music venue south of downtown that might be interesting (the conference I went to rented it out one night). Gilly's i think.
                      Gilly's is very famous. It has been in several movies.

I enjoyed the Fort Worth Stockyards. Not worth a whole day, but interesting, IMO. Plus, Billy Bob's is there.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Thinkin' about a daytrip to Oscar-Zero (and November-33).
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Gilly's is very famous. It has been in several movies.

I enjoyed the Fort Worth Stockyards. Not worth a whole day, but interesting, IMO. Plus, Billy Bob's is there.
                          The Gilley's from the movies was outside of Houston in Pasadena. It burned down about 10 years ago. The one in Dallas is a copy.
                          Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post
                            The Gilley's from the movies was outside of Houston in Pasadena. It burned down about 10 years ago. The one in Dallas is a copy.
                            Ah, ok, didn't realize that there was a new, different one.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Has anyone done the NASA tour in Houston? Worth it? It's not easy to get to without a car, so I'm on the fence about it.

Comment

43 states down, 7 to go. PNW, you're next.

Comment

Working...
                                X