X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Anyone tried using AirBnB for their travels?

I'm currently looking for hotels in Philadelphia for the 2nd weekend in June and brand name hotels in the "downtown" area are ~$200/night... Through AirBnB, I'm finding whole apartments for under $150/night... Just curious if this falls into a "get what you pay for" category...

I'm just not familiar with booking hotels in a major downtown area and am suffering from some sticker shock... I'm used to the $65 Super 8 variety hotel
    I used it in San Francisco (400+/night in downtown for a hotel. The apartment we rented was 150/night). I loved it. We had the place to ourselves and a private entrance. The apartment was in a residential neighborhood which provided a different view of the city than if we'd stayed in the tourist areas. I definitely agree that checking out the reviews as well as the neighborhoods -- there are definitely some sections of Philly that are best avoided.

Comment

We went to Kauai last week. Most of the time was spent on the beach, but we also drove over to Waimea Canyon which was incredibly beautiful.

Spent the first 3 nights in someone's guesthouse through Airbnb in Kapaa. It was a nice setup and their restaurant reviews were great. For the last two nights, we used a lot of credit card miles and some good old fashioned splurging to stay at the St. Regis in Princeville. That was awfully nice.

My food recommendations: Pono Market in Kapaa (Great poke for not that much), Hukilau Lanai in Kapaa (both the dinner and the drinks were great), Postcards Cafe in Hanalei (we both had wonderful ahi dinners, and it was a very pleasant place to eat), Wailua Shaved Ice in Kapaa (really tasty and the owner is trying to expand to Portland Oregon) and Sushi Bushido in Kapaa (the sushi was good, but my judgment may be impaired due to the sake samples our waiter gave me).

I really enjoyed it and will definitely go back.

Comment

Kauai is awesome! More laid back and absolutely beautiful. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Comment

Just booked NYC for August 11-14. By the time I come in from LaGuardia, I arrive at my Times Square hotel around 3 PM Thursday, and I am there until around 5 PM Sunday (when I need to head back to LGA). I have never been to Manhattan (passed close a couple times). I have a semi-rough list of what I think I want to try and do for what amounts to about a 3.5 day first trip:
          • Statue/Ellis Island
          • Empire State
          • Ground Zero
          • One of the museums (which one has the broadest appeal?)
          • Colbert taping (I know I'll need to book in advance for the 6:30 taping on 8/11, and be there pretty early - does anyone have an idea of how early?)
          • Broadway (currently aiming to do at least one, maybe two shows, and I am aware of both the eye-popping prices for first-run shows, and the same-day discount options for shows that have been running for a long time - I've been evaluating my options. I already know I'm not getting into Hamilton without connections. )
          • Nightlife (Smalls Jazz Club?, etc)
          • Food (Deli, Pizza, Chinese, Le Bernardin?, one of the big steakhouses?, one of Boulud's restaurants?, Bouley?, Marea?, etc) - I am obviously planning a really big budget for this part of the trip

Any suggestions or dissuasions are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Just booked NYC for August 11-14. By the time I come in from LaGuardia, I arrive at my Times Square hotel around 3 PM Thursday, and I am there until around 5 PM Sunday (when I need to head back to LGA). I have never been to Manhattan (passed close a couple times). I have a semi-rough list of what I think I want to try and do for what amounts to about a 3.5 day first trip:
            • Statue/Ellis Island
            • Empire State
            • Ground Zero
            • Colbert taping (I know I'll need to book in advance for the 6:30 taping on 8/11, and be there pretty early - does anyone have an idea of how early?)
            • Broadway (currently aiming to do at least one, maybe two shows, and I am aware of both the eye-popping prices for first-run shows, and the same-day discount options for shows that have been running for a long time - I've been evaluating my options. I already know I'm not getting into Hamilton without connections. )
            • Food (Deli, Pizza, Chinese, Le Bernardin?, one of the big steakhouses?, one of Boulud's restaurants?, Bouley?, Marea?, etc) - I am obviously planning a really big budget for this part of the trip

For a unique NYC experience, I'd check out the Cloisters, a medieval castle museum up north of the GW bridge, an easy subway ride from midtown. Part of the Met Museum.

If you have some Goth in you.

Also, its a cliche' NYC experience, but the Staten Island Ferry is a nice way to see the City from the water, especially after dark. Easy access by subway and free.
            Last edited by burd; 05-21-2016, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• Statue/Ellis Island
              • Empire State
              • Ground Zero

So if you want to go to the Statue of Liberty, buy your tickets now they sell out far in advance especially in the summer. They basically sell tickets to go up in the torch or crown I can't remember which they open, which you are probably out of luck as they sell out quick and far in advance, to go in the statue and just to go on the island. Be prepared to spend most of the day there as you have to go thru security to get on the ferry and then go thru security again if you want to go in the statue. I would make sure to be quick of the boat and go straight to the statue if your going inside , I didn't know this and we ended up in line for another 30-40 minutes and we went on a weekday in February.

Museums, it depends on what you like my two favorites are the Met, for history and art and the Museum of Natural History. But there are tons to visit it really depends on your interests. I enjoy the Firefighters Museum, the Museum of Financial History and the Police Museum for small museums in the city.

Broadway check out playbill.com and go to their discount section it will give you an idea what shows you can get a deal on and discount codes if you want to buy in advance, older shows, Phantom, Chicago etc you can almost always get deals on. Newer shows as well. in addition to Hamilton you will have to purchase in advance, pay mark ups for Wicked, Aladdin, Lion King and Book of Mormon. It depends on what you want to see plays you can usually get a deal musicals it depends on how popular it is. Some of the shows have rush tickets that are open to everyone, Hamilton has an online one, Wicked on you wait in line, while others are student rush, these are day of show. Weekdays you can usually do better than Fri-Sun ticket wise

Empire State Building has a sign outside that usually tells how the view is and how long the wait is, an alternative to going up in a big building would be 30 Rock in Rockefeller Center which is a timed ticket so you know when you are going to go up in the elevator. If you definitely want to do Empire State it's open late and the lines/crowds are usually better then.
              Last edited by Probert; 05-21-2016, 07:04 AM.
              Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                For a unique NYC experience, I'd check out the Cloisters, a medieval castle museum up north of the GW bridge, an easy subway ride from midtown. Part of the Met Museum.

If you have some Goth in you.

Also, its a cliche' NYC experience, but the Staten Island Ferry is a nice way to see the City from the water, especially after dark. Easy access by subway and free.
                Thanks, I'll consider it. I'm definitely open to doing some things that are less touristy.

Originally posted by Probert View Post
                So if you want to go to the Statue of Liberty, buy your tickets now they sell out far in advance especially in the summer. They basically sell tickets to go up in the torch or crown I can't remember which they open, which you are probably out of luck as they sell out quick and far in advance, to go in the statue and just to go on the island. Be prepared to spend most of the day there as you have to go thru security to get on the ferry and then go thru security again if you want to go in the statue. I would make sure to be quick of the boat and go straight to the statue if your going inside , I didn't know this and we ended up in line for another 30-40 minutes and we went on a weekday in February.

Museums, it depends on what you like my two favorites are the Met, for history and art and the Museum of Natural History. But there are tons to visit it really depends on your interests. I enjoy the Firefighters Museum, the Museum of Financial History and the Police Museum for small museums in the city.

Broadway check out playbill.com and go to their discount section it will give you an idea what shows you can get a deal on and discount codes if you want to buy in advance, older shows, Phantom, Chicago etc you can almost always get deals on. Newer shows as well. in addition to Hamilton you will have to purchase in advance, pay mark ups for Wicked, Aladdin, Lion King and Book of Mormon. It depends on what you want to see plays you can usually get a deal musicals it depends on how popular it is. Some of the shows have rush tickets that are open to everyone, Hamilton has an online one, Wicked on you wait in line, while others are student rush, these are day of show. Weekdays you can usually do better than Fri-Sun ticket wise

Empire State Building has a sign outside that usually tells how the view is and how long the wait is, an alternative to going up in a big building would be 30 Rock in Rockefeller Center which is a timed ticket so you know when you are going to go up in the elevator. If you definitely want to do Empire State it's open late and the lines/crowds are usually better then.
                Thanks for the heads up on the Statue.

I have already seen quite a few of the current "big name" shows on their national tours, except for Book of Mormon, which I have more or less resigned myself to paying the big bucks to see. Also eyeing the Carole King musical as a possibility.

Comment

And you were right about the Statue crown (IIRC, they haven't allowed anyone into the torch for decades). Already sold out through all of August, holy crap. Perhaps I will do the Staten Island Ferry instead, at least I'll get my skyline photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    • Statue/Ellis Island
                    • Empire State
                    • Ground Zero

Oh Man, where to begin... in a city like New York, you're going to get what you want, and what you want is entirely up to YOU. Take everyone else's suggestions with a grain of salt. So on that note... here's my salt. :0)

Museums: Natural History cannot be beat, but much like any museum, spend some time there... don't just walk-through for the "been there, got a tee-shirt" objective. And while you're there, Hayden Planetarium is also a great exhibit. If you are a fellow techie/nerd, or a military history buff, try the Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum. Haven't been back since they dropped the Space Shuttle there, but I'll get there soon. (LOVE the SR-71 there!, plus my father served on that ship, so I'm a bit partial)

Food: Curry Row... Sixth St between 1st & 2nd Ave. On the 'hit list' of every NYC trip for me, but be warned... Curry can be a powerful laxative!! I have a very bad/"entertaining" (entertaining for some, but not me!!) Grand Central Station story about that!! Despite that very, very bad experience, I absolutely LOVE Curry Row. But really, there are SO many great places to eat in Manhattan (Hell's Kitchen is LOADED with good places), you're going to find a good place by accident... and that will lead to the absolute BEST experience by-far!. 'Yelp' is your friend... use 'her'!!!

Nightlife: Unfortunately, we are at a point in life where we cannot enjoy the nightlife due to children who cannot be left-alone (yet!). One of my 'bucket list' objectives is to get to a comedy club in midtown, so if you happen to 'live my dream'... I'm all ears!!! Seeing that you are in the Times Square area, you will have plenty of options. Again, 'Yelp' is your friend. As for Bars/Pubs, my only nightlife advise is the same I applied to myself in New Orleans, and pretty-much everywhere I go... get out of the 'touristy areas', and drink with the locals... you will not regret it (provided you are 'cool' and can 'hang' with the locals). But I will admit... getting-away from the tourists is going to be difficult in the Theater District! Talk to your Concierge, and tip the man! :0) (Absolute best resource for info at the hotel!!)

Getting-around: I am certainly a 'budget' Subway Man. If you choose to be the same, get an App, and a Metro card. Taxi's are great, but I just prefer the 'underground'. To be honest, even walking is good enough for me... walked with the family from the Financial District (Millinium Hilton) to Penn Station one trip, and saw a ton... Little Italy, NYU, Washington Square, Flatiron District... great walk, except Korea Town got a wee-bit 'hairy'!!

Touristy-poo: Morning shows ('Today' in Rockefeller Center), Rockefeller Center in-general, shopping in-general (Sony store, Apple Store, Toys-R-Us). Central Park (although walking-around can be 'fun'), Bronx Zoo (haven't been there in years!). As for Times Square, just like every other overly-touristy area (Quincy Market, National Mall, Inner Harbor, North Beach, Bourbon St, Miracle Mile, Gaslight District, Hollywood Blvd, etc, etc, etc), walk-in, observe, walk-through, observe, walk-out, observe, and leave... no need to return (but of course, snap a photo while you're there!).

You will fill your days on Manhattan, but know that there are so many more places in the Boroughs to explore. Save them for another day, and enjoy this trip! Make some memories, and come-back for more!

Cheers!!! (and safe travels)
                    ~TTF
                    Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 05-21-2016, 11:24 PM. Reason: Formatting
                    Dave
                    RIT - '90

Comment

And you were right about the Statue crown (IIRC, they haven't allowed anyone into the torch for decades). Already sold out through all of August, holy crap. Perhaps I will do the Staten Island Ferry instead, at least I'll get my skyline photos.
                      Governor's Island is also an interesting trip -- moreso, I think, than Staten Island. My mom lived there when it was still an active Army base.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                        Governor's Island is also an interesting trip -- moreso, I think, than Staten Island. My mom lived there when it was still an active Army base.
                        I would second this it's very nice as long as there is not an art show or concert going on as it will be a zoo, unless you want to see whatever is going on. They have a couple of historic forts you can visit along with nice views of Manhattan and you can take a nice stroll along the island.
                        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

If you're into trains, Grand Central Terminal. Once you're on the Main Concourse, look straight up.

South Street Seaport.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

well a couple of additional hints though I agree with everything said so far. get to the statue line very early, it will cut the time down. It's a great visit. ground zero is nice but if you go up to the top of the freedom tower, do it at sunset. I totally agree on Rockefeller center. great visit. get tickets ahead.
                            Museums. depends on what you like. you can see the intrepid but that stuff is also seen elsewhere.
                            I like the Met, again go fairly early and not on the weekend. I also like the Neu Gallery, which is across the street. Has some of the most expensive art on the planet. The Moma is also nice but you have to like modern art, which I don't. Same for there Guggenheim. The Morgan is a nice out of the way and not busy museum. The museum of natural history is great but you can see most of that elsewhere as well. The cloisters is nice but I'd put it at a level below the main museums. leave some time to tour central park. there are guided tours, get one.

There are also guided tours of Grand Central, easy to get and cheap. Also you have to go see wall street, even if you just walk past the bulls.. And you have to go to see 5th avenue, and walk thru Bloomingdales.
                            Another walk thru is Lincoln Center. they show opera outside for free at night on a big screen. you can take tours there, but they take time. If you are there on a weekend they push a piano outside during the day and anyone who wants to can play. mostly they are unbelievably good musicians.

Restaurants. There are so many it's hard to recommend any. but here are a few I like. The Atlantic Grill on I think 62ed and Broadway. and Veselka.( Ukrainian, and has the best Borscht), in the east Village. open 24 hours and not too expensive. There are some real good French places. My favorites are French Roast on about 83ed and Broadway and Nice Matin, both on the upper west side. Racine's is good too, but pretty expensive. it's in Chelsea. For a good sunday brunch I go to Fred's.
                            I'd stay away from places like 21 or the russian tea room, it;s just not worth it.

Clubs. Jazz at Lincoln Center is nice and not at lincoln center,( it's at Columbus Circle) and they have a no cover set at 1130 at night. Red Rooster in Harlem is good, but not for food, just cocktails and jazz. There are some famous jazz places in the village but honestly they are generally overpriced, even for New York. A little lower class but still awesome is Fat Cat's in the village near NYU.. cheap, good food, and great jazz. plus pool etc. A great time.

Get the New York times entertainment section and read the reviews on shows before you buy tickets. Some of them are just not that hot and some are long running for a reason.
                            Also, at the risk of being morbid, you might want to walk past the Dakota ( where John Lennon was murdered) and see strawberry fields. About 75 and Central park west.
                            one more thing. real estate costs in Manhattan are unbelievable. A very small, like 750 sq ft, lower down condo on central park west, would run you easily 2.5 million dollars and would rent upwards of 7500 per month, though this is not typical of other neighborhoods, it';s all still very expensive.
                            Last edited by manurespreader; 05-22-2016, 06:33 PM.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

According to the National Geographic 10 best of New York. 1. Tea at the Morgan Library, 2. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 3. MOMA. ( Museum of Modern Art) 4. The Frick Collection. 5. Brunch at Nougatine, (1 central park west), 6. Stroll south Steet seaport, 7. Ellis island, 8. Central Park.

I'd also add taking the subway to Brooklyn and walking back on the Brooklyn Bridge.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Off to Philly tomorrow morning for 5 days. Anyone have any suggestions for food? Done some research and I've come up with a few possibilities...

- Monk's Café for the mussels and huge beer selection.
                                - McGillin's Olde Ale House for the Corned Beef Cheesesteak (secret menu item FTW!)
                                - Reading Terminal Market for various restaurants
                                - Oyster House for a good Seafood dinner

Seems that most of the "Cheesesteak" places are overrated. I'm gonna be eating "stadium food" for 3-4 meals, so don't mind paying for quality with other meals. What else does the city have to offer?
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X