Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    Heading to Palm Desert, CA the last week in February.
    Can. Not. Wait.
    May take a day in LA for some beach time and maybe some rube stuff like the walk of fame & Hollywood sign.
    That would indeed be Rube stuff, given my love for movies and the like.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

If the wife gives me the go-ahead, I'm hoping to get to Home Depot this weekend. Thinking sandpaper, maybe some drill bits. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    If the wife gives me the go-ahead, I'm hoping to get to Home Depot this weekend. Thinking sandpaper, maybe some drill bits. Fingers crossed.
    Maybe Bed Bath And Beyond, if you have the time?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lots to see and do. Be sure to check out the North end. Very cool area.
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    headed to Boston in April for Frozen Four

Let's go RED!

Considering a trip to Maine this summer, it's still up in the air. If gases prices hold, it may be more likely.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Planning two trips, each to a place I've never been. Spring in New Orleans after the crowds have left town; fall in Santa Fe as a long (years and years) advance scouting for retirement.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    Thinking about Iceland with the wife for our 10 year anniversary. Hope to do some backpacking/hiking.
    A friend of mine just did this -- he and his wife are ex-82nd Airborne superhumans who backpack and hike everywhere; they loved it.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Lots to see and do. Be sure to check out the North end. Very cool area.
    I was at 04 frozen four, easy drive for me
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Need some ideas for a road trip with FlagDUDETTE. Sure, I have the 48-stater, and maybe also a road trip to Alaska. We do Franconia Notch every autumn already.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    So flaggy: you win.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Considering a trip to Maine this summer, it's still up in the air. If gases prices hold, it may be more likely.
    Where in Maine? Lots of neat little villages along the coast. I live in Bar Harbor, which is beautiful in the summer (but busy).

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Planning two trips, each to a place I've never been. Spring in New Orleans after the crowds have left town; fall in Santa Fe as a long (years and years) advance scouting for retirement.
    I've been told by some New Orleans natives that if you want to get some of that Mardi Gras feel while avoiding the giant crowds, you should go the week prior. That party atmosphere is already there, a number of acts are in town, getting ready for Mardi Gras, but again, you don't have the crowds and save some money on hotel costs.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I've been told by some New Orleans natives that if you want to get some of that Mardi Gras feel while avoiding the giant crowds, you should go the week prior. That party atmosphere is already there, a number of acts are in town, getting ready for Mardi Gras, but again, you don't have the crowds and save some money on hotel costs.
    I've been there the week after. All you get is the over powering stench of urine and vomit.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I've been there the week after. All you get is the over powering stench of urine and vomit.
    You get that year round I think. I've been there a few times for work, always in November. Last time I wasn't paying attention and I stepped in a pot hole on Bourbon St. Over my ankle in the most putrid water imaginable. Brand new shoes and I thought I was going to have to burn them, but after washing/disinfecting they no longer smelled like **** and stale beer.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Thanks.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Please don't laugh, but my beloved bride has a hankering for Branson. Worth it???
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Please don't laugh, but my beloved bride has a hankering for Branson. Worth it???
    Just try to avoid Ferguson when getting there; I hear ****'s going down.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    So flaggy: you win.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    Where in Maine? Lots of neat little villages along the coast. I live in Bar Harbor, which is beautiful in the summer (but busy).
    I have NO idea, the potential itinerary is wide open. All I know for sure it I want some fresh lobsta, I don't want to get sucked into a lot of touristy spots and maybe do some ocean fishing on a charter. I'm open to some recommendations.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Just booked a day with these folks in St. Lucia...

http://tributetothelion.blogspot.com/

The reviews on Trip Advisor are off the charts and unanimous, so I'm not too worried about it being a trap.

I have other friends who have done similar things (tings ) in Jamaica and they rave about it.

Really looking forward to this...

Oh yeah, and pops calls me the other day wondering if we want to go on a "jazzy" sunset cruise. It's the normal sunset cruise, but with a sax player!!!

-facepalm-

I honestly can't think of anything worse than a live smooth jazz musician on a ****ing boat with me. I'd have to throw him off.

I want to hear nothing but the wind and the waves - maybe some reggae on low volume.

Luckily the only day of the week that they do the "jazzy" cruise is the day we arrive, so I was able to diplomatically bring up how wiped everyone is on a travel day and while the "jazzy" cruise would be nice, don't you think that the cruise would be better more towards the end of our trip?

Whew!

Just shows how different people can have radically different ideas of what might be a good experience.

So I booked my first ever real cruise to leave on Friday, I have done a Nile Cruise in Egypt and the Greek Islands but they were more just to get me to the ancient sights I wanted to see. The Nile cruise had no activities just a a room and meals while the Greek cruise did have a lot of the usual stuff when you are off the boat each morning at 6:45 a.m I didn't hit the shows at night and some of the other activities they had. Surprising this was the least expensive choice of my vacation options, but since it leaves from NYC I don't have to worry about flights, hotels the night before etc. Hitting Puerto Rico, St Maarten, Tortola and St Thomas, it does spend quite a few days at sea 2 1/2 days down and 2 1/2 days back. Other than hitting the forts in San Juan don't really have anything that appears to be must see so just going to enjoy not being a work and in the cold for a week and a half.
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Thread Information