This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Looks like a Caribbean cruise this early December. Dr. Mrs. needs to use or lose leave and we don't care about Christmas so we usually trade weeks with people who are invested in taking that week off.

Anybody with any particularly good (or bad) recommendations on destination / cruise lines? We know to stay away from Carnival. We've taken one cruise on Norwegian and it was great.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Did you try to get into Gasthof zur Gemutlichkeit? You'd have been disappointed, if you tried. New ownership took over operations with the conclusion of Oktoberfest and they're closed for the next few weeks to do a complete remodel of the building.

You're the first person I've ever heard of going into Red's Savoy and order something other than a pizza for food.

I'm told that unless you get to Al's right when it opens it's waiting out the door.

Insomnia Cookies does most of its business at night, a big rush at bar close, and delivery orders galore to places that smell a big skunky.
      Ended up going to McCoy's, which makes a good Triple Stack Reuben.

As for Red's Savoy, my hostess and I went back for pizza, and the Hawaiian pizza did not disappoint. As for why I ordered the bacon chicken sandwich the first time, my hostess and I were in a rush and didn't have 45-60 minutes to wait for a pizza.

Insomnia Cookies are delicious.

Amtrak: For intermediate distances, say Chicago/MSP/Omaha, I will probably take the train again. Nice and quiet. Next time I ride, I will bring a tablet PC or a thick book.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Looks like a Caribbean cruise this early December. Dr. Mrs. needs to use or lose leave and we don't care about Christmas so we usually trade weeks with people who are invested in taking that week off.

Anybody with any particularly good (or bad) recommendations on destination / cruise lines? We know to stay away from Carnival. We've taken one cruise on Norwegian and it was great.
        Only cruise I've been on was Norwegian, and it was well-executed with great customer service good food, etc.

The only reason I went was because I won it as a door prize, and I'm not sure I'd go again if you paid me. Just not my cup of tea - if I can't be active on vacation (yes, I knew about the little running track), I at least need a museum or two. Even on vacation days where I do feel like sitting around, I'd rather do it outdoors by myself on a nice beach or mountaintop rather than on a 1000-foot long floating Petri dish with 2000 of my fellow average Americans.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          -And I think I should go to one more restaurant tomorrow for dinner. I know Gasthof's is a possibility... or if anyone can recommend a good meat and potatoes place, I am all ears. I'm rather weary of sandwiches.
          Not sure if you're still here. But you may consider trying Nye's Polonaise room before it closes forever. If you go, don't forget your leisure suit.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Just out of curiosity, why a cruise instead of going to a particular destination in the Caribbean?
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm going on Disney in November. They are great. No gambling if you want that though.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Hard for me to make cruise to cruise comparisons, but we've sailed a lot with Royal Caribbean. I even tried to organize a posters cruise for the last Tampa FF. This year we will go on a 7 night cruise the day after the final- but sailing out of Port Canaveral.

In terms of itinerary- what do you want to do? There are cruises were you are at a different port every day except one, and there are cruises where the ports are irrelevant compared to the ship. There are small ships, and big ships with ice shows, Broadway shows, and aqua theaters. Lots of choices.

All of the bigger ships have their pluses and minuses, so as long as you are ready to flow with the situation, you will have a good time on any ship.

Beginning of December is a good time- it's typically a low time between Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year- so you are going to find some good prices. And since you are within the final payment period for every line I know of, the prices will be at their lowest right now.

Comment

For those traveling to Europe etc., There is a somewhat new method that businesses are using to get more money out of you.( it's been going for a while, but seems a lot more prevalent lately) This is especially true for restaurants and gift shops.

The way this scam works is that when you charge something on your cc, or debit card. The machine stores use to process the charge allows the waiter to give you a choice of currency. If you choose dollars, you just got screwed, because there is a 3 to 5% commission and there is a much less attractive exchange rate.

If you get the transaction in Euro's, then your bank will use an exchange rate much more advantageous to you. The Problem comes because many businesses do not give you a choice, they do not ask and even if you tell them ahead of time, they choose dollars to run the transaction.( because of course, they get more money if it's in dollars)

At the bottom of the cc receipt you have signed there is a place where it says, "I have been given a choice of currency", so you have no leg to stand on.

If you catch them and tell them to do it in euro's they will refuse and insist that it already is in euro's.
                  Not only that but if you use a regular cc, then they will also add a foreign transaction fee of a dollar or two.So the bottom line is every transaction you do could cost you an additional 6 or 7 %, which adds up after a while.

You can combat this by getting a cc that has no foreign transaction fees, and no ATM fees.. I use Schwab, but there are quite a few out there.

So I recommend you pay in cash and get money from the ATM every so often.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Well, Zion was gorgeous. Observation Point totally worth the effort. Want to go back and hike the Narrows.

Bryce was nice, but could've gotten my hoodoo photos at Cedar Breaks for less than 1/3 the price (although less ability to hike up close).

Grand Canyon was very nice, particularly at sunset. 50 50 chance I would go back to hike rim-to-rim just to say I did it, but it isn't a must do.

Signature at MGM gets 4 stars. For the price, would stay at Caesars or the Venetian/Palazzo next time.

Comment

Due to relatives expecting their first baby, I am being urged to take the family to Cincinnati over my son's spring break in late march. Does anyone know of anything to do in or around Cincy at that time of year? Other than coo over the new baby girl, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        Due to relatives expecting their first baby, I am being urged to take the family to Cincinnati over my son's spring break in late march. Does anyone know of anything to do in or around Cincy at that time of year? Other than coo over the new baby girl, of course.
                        Take side trips to other cities in the area because you're in Cincinnati. Is that an option? Be careful if you end up on the Kentucky side of the suburbs around that area, Kentucky's drinking laws are really weird.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          Obligatory "skyline chili", or find some other similar chili spot. Cinci is pretty well known for their chili.

Cinci zoo is quite nice, the ECHL Cyclones should be playing, not sure if they'll be home then or not. Unfortunately, the Reds will still be down south, GABP is a pretty good stadium to see a game.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                            Obligatory "skyline chili", or find some other similar chili spot. Cinci is pretty well known for their chili.

Cinci zoo is quite nice, the ECHL Cyclones should be playing, not sure if they'll be home then or not. Unfortunately, the Reds will still be down south, GABP is a pretty good stadium to see a game.
                            Second the zoo. Really nice.

Skyline is The Cincinnati Thing to Do, but their chili is meh, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                              Second the zoo. Really nice.

Skyline is The Cincinnati Thing to Do, but their chili is meh, IMO.
                              Ya, agreed about skyline. I believe there was a TripleD episode with a local joint for chili, I'm sure the Old Man could look up a good spot.

Late March in Cincinnati can be hit/miss for weather. Had relatives that lived just east and we usually visited for Easter. Could be very nice weather (70-80 even) or could be dreary.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Take side trips to other cities in the area because you're in Cincinnati. Is that an option? Be careful if you end up on the Kentucky side of the suburbs around that area, Kentucky's drinking laws are really weird.
                                I am leaning toward driving there as we have three other sets of relatives that are almost in a straight line on the way to Cincy. Chicago, Lafayette, Carmel (the one that's off-line) then Cincy. A newish baby in Carmel we have not yet seen too. The big question is do we continue on to see the branch of relatives in Tennessee who we try not to talk about?

Comment

Working...
                                X