X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    I have >1200$ in camera and lenses. I am a little paranoid wrapping that in a towel. Don't want to be tethered to the thing but point and shoot would make me crazy

I have > $3000.

Leave the dslr in the room when you go to the beach?

To be honest, there isn't a ton to shoot at the beach at midday anyway. Bright sun and all that contrast don't make for great photos.

A point and shoot can easily capture most of the general beach time photos.

At sunrise or sunset or when shooting wildlife, you can be carrying the dslr.

Anyway... to my other point... no way I go on a trip like that without my camera equipment.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-22-2015, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Even if you leave it in the "safe", that might be worse than wrapping it in a towel and bringing it with you. The maid chain of command always seems to enjoy plausible deniability when such matters arise.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Even if you leave it in the "safe", that might be worse than wrapping it in a towel and bringing it with you. The maid chain of command always seems to enjoy plausible deniability when such matters arise.

Yeah, I guess.

Not sure where everyone travels to, but I have to be able to trust those folks.

When we went to St. Lucia we had 3 iPhones, 3 iPods ($300 each), 2 MacBooks, 2 iPads, about $600 worth of GoPro and 2 dslrs with accessories and multiple lenses.

Oh yeah and my $400 point and shoot.

Probably $10k worth of stuff.

No way am I carrying all that crap with me.

I did put it in the safe though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          I have > $3000.

To be honest, there isn't a ton to shoot at the beach at midday anyway. Bright sun and all that contrast don't make for great photos.

A point and shoot can easily capture most of the general beach time photos.

At sunrise or sunset or when shooting wildlife, you can be carrying the dslr.

Anyway... to my other point... no way I go on a trip like that without my camera equipment.
          THis is actually a very helpful post. Thanks!

You, on the other hand are feeding my paranoia!!

Comment

Definitely depends where you are going as to how safe your stuff is. In Japan for example you could likely leave everything out in the open all day without incident.

That said, if the photos are just of our time and not meant to be professional quality I'd leave the expensive equipment at home.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

If it's a locale where there's legitimate reason for concern find a hotel that has ceiling panels, probably in the bathroom, and put your gear above them. No joke. A professional would find it quickly if he has reason to look, but a petty criminal....never. On top of the bathroom fan cover works really well also as they usually pull down from the ceiling with ease, but the existence of bathroom fans isn't exactly a certainty in most places where this is an issue in the first place. Or most places in general. For more elaborate methods, if needed, feel free to email me
              Last edited by XYZ; 07-22-2015, 02:52 PM.
              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

wow. No one believes the things I learn on a hockey forum

Comment

The hotels I have stayed at (when I bring a lot of cash/etc) are either legit, or they are known to plant cameras/etc in the room to catch thieves. *shrug*
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    wow. No one believes the things I learn on a hockey forum
                    And they shouldn't.

Comment

The nice thing about it is I can pretty much count on getting great answers on here. Posting on some travel forum you never know what to trust (maybe trusting on here is scary )

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        The nice thing about it is I can pretty much count on getting great answers on here. Posting on some travel forum you never know what to trust (maybe trusting on here is scary )
                        You're in good hands with USCHO.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm thinking of doing Croatia this fall. Is there anyone that can clue me in on getting there, costs, things to do, etc. I'm probably coming in from Italy somewhere.

thanks in advance.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I'm thinking of doing Croatia this fall. Is there anyone that can clue me in on getting there, costs, things to do, etc. I'm probably coming in from Italy somewhere.

thanks in advance.
                            The only thing I know about getting to Croatia from Italy is that there are services out there that will ferry you from one of the main port cities in Italy to the tourist destinations in Croatia along the Adriatic. It's been a while since I'd done any sort of research, but I believe they depart from Venice.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I am doing Southern Italy and Sicily end of September/October. I've got 6 days in Rome and wanted to get some suggestions for some off beat stuff. I haven't been in 15 years and am wondering if the Baths of Caracalla or the Catacombs are worth a visit? Also is the Borghese Gallery worth a visit? Also wondered about the Appian way? Is Monte Cassino worth a day trip down from Rome.

I'm planning on 1 day at the Vatican, 2 days of Ancient sites and Piazza's, 1 day at Ostia Antica and probably a half day visiting Hadrian's Villa and the Villa D'este so that leaves me a day and a half plus whatever time remains after we drive from Naples to Rome on the last day.

Any breweries or brew pubs worth a visit or stopping at for lunch/dinner.

I also have a free day in Palermo and 2 days in Sorrento, one day I am going to go to Paestrum and the other day is a drive along the Amalfi Coast but I should have at least a half day free there. I have a full day on Capri and heard that the Blue Grotto was overrated and frequently closed, any opinion? I figured I would visit Tiberius's palace, I'm a history geek but found out there's basically nothing left. Planning on visiting the Archaeological Museum in Naples is there anything else worth taking in?
                              Last edited by Probert; 08-16-2015, 05:44 PM.
                              Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Drive or take public transportation in Europe? Does it depend by country? And, finally, do I need anything special?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X