X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Being hunters, you probably know this, but bring the mosquito nets and leave the blue jeans at home!
    Thanks again. I plan to douse our outer clothes (all quick drying, no cotton) with permytherin tonight for ticks. I have a couple head nets and lots of Deep Woods Off Dry. Weather looks good for now but we are bringing pretty good rain suits just in case. They'll be our warm clothes too if it does get chilly (not looking likely). Have a few borrowed dry bags plus plenty of zip-locks and garbage bags for pack liners. Borrowing an extra water filter tonight from a back-packer buddy (outfitter provides one), along with extra sleeping pads.

Oh hey Gurt, my kid's pre-calc teacher is the new Director of Hockey Operations for the BADgers. I told Jr to give him crap tomorrow - after the final is graded! Super nice guy, too bad he'll have to work with Eaves.
    Last edited by goldy_331; 06-04-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Thanks again. I plan to douse our outer clothes (all quick drying, no cotton) with permytherin tonight for ticks. I have a couple head nets and lots of Deep Woods Off Dry. Weather looks good for now but we are bringing pretty good rain suits just in case. They'll be our warm clothes too if it does get chilly (not looking likely). Have a few borrowed dry bags plus plenty of zip-locks and garbage bags for pack liners. Borrowing an extra water filter tonight from a back-packer buddy (outfitter provides one), along with extra sleeping pads.

Oh hey Gurt, my kid's pre-calc teacher is the new Director of Hockey Operations for the BADgers. I told Jr to give him crap tomorrow - after the final is graded! Super nice guy, too bad he'll have to work with Eaves.

I saw your post in our thread... and responded.

As always, hockey is a very small world and chances are if you are involved for a period of time, you'll start to know people. It's cool.

I do feel bad for him having to work with Eaves though.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        This is costing airlines money as they sit waiting at the gate.
        Not really. This doesn't delay flights as much as you would think.
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Oh hey... Southwest's booking site is still down... Going to shoot someone/something if a seat on the flights I wanted jumped $50

The flights I'm looking at aren't even eligible for the sale that is causing the problems
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            It's kind of funny. Airlines charge fees for checked luggage, but no carry on luggage fees. Presumably because of the costs associated with having baggage handlers.

Now they've realized this has caused everyone to forego checking bags, if possible, and go through the craziness that is the loading of the passenger compartment by a bunch of people trying to cram too many bags into too small of a space. This is costing airlines money as they sit waiting at the gate.

I see Delta is going to experiment with a "valet" service (no word yet on whether it will be free) whereby they take your carry on for you and stow it directly above your seat. But presumably this is going to cost the airlines in the form of baggage handlers, thus completing the circle.
            The major cost you're not accounting for is fuel. It takes maybe 3 guys 20 minutes to load the bags? That's $20-25 in direct labor, maybe double that for overhead. Carrying a belly full of luggage across the country will cost many more times that in additional fuel cost. The marginal labor cost for a few extra bags is zero - they already have the staff and equipment. The marginal fuel cost, though, is very real and very substantial. The airlines' interest is in getting you to pay for your baggage weight, whether it's in the cabin or he hold. Believe me, if they could get away with charging passengers by the pound, they absolutely would.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Going to be heading to Olympic National Park later this summer, and maybe spend a day or two in Seattle. Had to fight all day with southwest.com to get tickets. I live in Bar Harbor, Maine and we just lost in the semi-finals of Outside Magazine's best town contest. We lost to Port Angeles, Washington, one of the gateway towns to Olympic National Park so it will be cool to pay them a visit and check out another national park town.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                Not really. This doesn't delay flights as much as you would think.
                $30/minute. I suspect it adds up.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Heading to Louisville in late June as my son's travel lacrosse team has a tourney there. Gonna go a couple days early and hit Churchill Downs for Thursday twilight racing and then do Mammoth Cave on Friday.

Too bad I don't care for Bourbon as the tour would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    It doesn't. Bag loading/boarding delays are usually only a few minutes. The only extra cost incurred is the cost of running the APU (assuming it's not deferred ).
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Heading to Louisville in late June as my son's travel lacrosse team has a tourney there. Gonna go a couple days early and hit Churchill Downs for Thursday twilight racing and then do Mammoth Cave on Friday.

Too bad I don't care for Bourbon as the tour would be fun.
                      Mammoth cave is great. Churchill downs is great too. If you do have time, I'd recommend a tour of one of the big breeding operations near Lexington. it's not that far from you. Sometimes you have to arrange ahead of time.Do not stick your fingers in with the horse.!
                      And if they are running, Keeneland is particularly nice.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

If you're driving down, I recommend just driving around the Bluegrass region. It's truly gorgeous country.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I borrowed a copy of Lonely Planet's guide to Zion and Bryce Canyon. Looking at routes in Zion, I had thought maybe I would shuttle up to Lava Point and hike back to Zion Canyon via the West Rim Trail. Checked the NPS website, and West Rim Trail will be closed below Camp 1 for repairs during the time I'm visiting. So I could still reserve a campsite, hike in, and spend a night, but I'd have to double-back to Lava Point, rather than hike through and descend to the Grotto. I'm evaluating other options.

The Observation Point hike is still on the list though.

Comment

So next month Mrs goldy, goldy Jr (18 now) and I are going to Maui for a week. Staying in a VRBO condo in Maalea. Any recommendations for must-do on the island? Should Jr and I do the van ride up for sunrise on the volcano and the bike ride down (Mrs will sleep in for that one)? Should we drive to Hana or should we take a van trip? Any good fishing charter recommendations or spots to shore fish from? Best snorkeling charters? Best luau?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              So next month Mrs goldy, goldy Jr (18 now) and I are going to Maui for a week. Staying in a VRBO condo in Maalea. Any recommendations for must-do on the island? Should Jr and I do the van ride up for sunrise on the volcano and the bike ride down (Mrs will sleep in for that one)? Should we drive to Hana or should we take a van trip? Any good fishing charter recommendations or spots to shore fish from? Best snorkeling charters? Best luau?
                              I did the volcano and the ride down and it was a lot of fun. I also did a snorkeling charter and all the charter boats in the world went to the same place. I thought the snorkeling was lame, especially compared to the Caymans.
                              I drove to Hana and stopped on the way at the grave of Charles Lindbergh. it's hard to find, but if you like aviation it's cool. The drive was great, Hana itself not that much, but the 7 sisters?, waterfall was nice and I met a guy who did the helicopter tour of the rainforest and loved it.
                              Can't recommend a place or a luau.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So if the Packers play in London next year, I'm going. I was looking at possible flights to get an idea at what the cost might for airfare might be. The cheapest airline out of Chicago was Turkish Airlines, has anyone ever flown them before and if so, how was the experience?
                                Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                                Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Working...
                                X