Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    I have >1200$ in camera and lenses. I am a little paranoid wrapping that in a towel. Don't want to be tethered to the thing but point and shoot would make me crazy

I have > $3000.

Leave the dslr in the room when you go to the beach?

To be honest, there isn't a ton to shoot at the beach at midday anyway. Bright sun and all that contrast don't make for great photos.

A point and shoot can easily capture most of the general beach time photos.

At sunrise or sunset or when shooting wildlife, you can be carrying the dslr.

Anyway... to my other point... no way I go on a trip like that without my camera equipment.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-22-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Even if you leave it in the "safe", that might be worse than wrapping it in a towel and bringing it with you. The maid chain of command always seems to enjoy plausible deniability when such matters arise.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Even if you leave it in the "safe", that might be worse than wrapping it in a towel and bringing it with you. The maid chain of command always seems to enjoy plausible deniability when such matters arise.

Yeah, I guess.

Not sure where everyone travels to, but I have to be able to trust those folks.

When we went to St. Lucia we had 3 iPhones, 3 iPods ($300 each), 2 MacBooks, 2 iPads, about $600 worth of GoPro and 2 dslrs with accessories and multiple lenses.

Oh yeah and my $400 point and shoot.

Probably $10k worth of stuff.

No way am I carrying all that crap with me.

I did put it in the safe though.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I have > $3000.

To be honest, there isn't a ton to shoot at the beach at midday anyway. Bright sun and all that contrast don't make for great photos.

A point and shoot can easily capture most of the general beach time photos.

At sunrise or sunset or when shooting wildlife, you can be carrying the dslr.

Anyway... to my other point... no way I go on a trip like that without my camera equipment.
    THis is actually a very helpful post. Thanks!

You, on the other hand are feeding my paranoia!!

Definitely depends where you are going as to how safe your stuff is. In Japan for example you could likely leave everything out in the open all day without incident.

That said, if the photos are just of our time and not meant to be professional quality I'd leave the expensive equipment at home.

Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar

If it's a locale where there's legitimate reason for concern find a hotel that has ceiling panels, probably in the bathroom, and put your gear above them. No joke. A professional would find it quickly if he has reason to look, but a petty criminal....never. On top of the bathroom fan cover works really well also as they usually pull down from the ceiling with ease, but the existence of bathroom fans isn't exactly a certainty in most places where this is an issue in the first place. Or most places in general. For more elaborate methods, if needed, feel free to email me
    Last edited by XYZ; 07-22-2015 at 02:52 PM.
    "Yeah, because Iím the genius marketer, not a code freak like you guys. Besides, Iím wearing sandals so I am iconoclasting a little bit."

wow. No one believes the things I learn on a hockey forum

The hotels I have stayed at (when I bring a lot of cash/etc) are either legit, or they are known to plant cameras/etc in the room to catch thieves. *shrug*
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

wow. No one believes the things I learn on a hockey forum
    And they shouldn't.

The nice thing about it is I can pretty much count on getting great answers on here. Posting on some travel forum you never know what to trust (maybe trusting on here is scary )

The nice thing about it is I can pretty much count on getting great answers on here. Posting on some travel forum you never know what to trust (maybe trusting on here is scary )
    You're in good hands with USCHO.

Still upright

I'm thinking of doing Croatia this fall. Is there anyone that can clue me in on getting there, costs, things to do, etc. I'm probably coming in from Italy somewhere.

thanks in advance.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I'm thinking of doing Croatia this fall. Is there anyone that can clue me in on getting there, costs, things to do, etc. I'm probably coming in from Italy somewhere.

thanks in advance.
    The only thing I know about getting to Croatia from Italy is that there are services out there that will ferry you from one of the main port cities in Italy to the tourist destinations in Croatia along the Adriatic. It's been a while since I'd done any sort of research, but I believe they depart from Venice.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

I am doing Southern Italy and Sicily end of September/October. I've got 6 days in Rome and wanted to get some suggestions for some off beat stuff. I haven't been in 15 years and am wondering if the Baths of Caracalla or the Catacombs are worth a visit? Also is the Borghese Gallery worth a visit? Also wondered about the Appian way? Is Monte Cassino worth a day trip down from Rome.

I'm planning on 1 day at the Vatican, 2 days of Ancient sites and Piazza's, 1 day at Ostia Antica and probably a half day visiting Hadrian's Villa and the Villa D'este so that leaves me a day and a half plus whatever time remains after we drive from Naples to Rome on the last day.

Any breweries or brew pubs worth a visit or stopping at for lunch/dinner.

I also have a free day in Palermo and 2 days in Sorrento, one day I am going to go to Paestrum and the other day is a drive along the Amalfi Coast but I should have at least a half day free there. I have a full day on Capri and heard that the Blue Grotto was overrated and frequently closed, any opinion? I figured I would visit Tiberius's palace, I'm a history geek but found out there's basically nothing left. Planning on visiting the Archaeological Museum in Naples is there anything else worth taking in?
    Last edited by Probert; 08-16-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Drive or take public transportation in Europe? Does it depend by country? And, finally, do I need anything special?

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Drive or take public transportation in Europe? Does it depend by country? And, finally, do I need anything special?
    It certainly depends on the country, in Western Europe, UK, France, Germany, Italy Switzerland etc. you can easily get around by train. The exception is Greece which has a horrible train system. If you are doing the islands you do have the ferry system. From what I have come across Eastern Europe is a little dicier, though I think Poland and Czech Republic have improved since I was there.
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

lubba wubba dub dub

For big cities and even just bigger cities in western Europe, you're mostly fine with public transit. If you're planning on making your way to outer lying cities or the country side, then you might want to look into car rental. If you do want to rent a car, look into getting an international driver's license. /Rick Steve's lesson

I did Paris, Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice, and Innsbruck; the public transit in each of those cities were decent enough to do without a car. In fact, I read that driving in Italy is not for the faint of heart as many drivers treat traffic signs and lights as more suggestions than to be strictly obeyed. Germany's more of a strict adherence, but I don't know about other nations. Still, petrol is really expensive over there.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by Probert View Post
    I am doing Southern Italy and Sicily end of September/October. I've got 6 days in Rome and wanted to get some suggestions for some off beat stuff. I haven't been in 15 years and am wondering if the Baths of Caracalla or the Catacombs are worth a visit? Also is the Borghese Gallery worth a visit? Also wondered about the Appian way? Is Monte Cassino worth a day trip down from Rome.

I'm planning on 1 day at the Vatican, 2 days of Ancient sites and Piazza's, 1 day at Ostia Antica and probably a half day visiting Hadrian's Villa and the Villa D'este so that leaves me a day and a half plus whatever time remains after we drive from Naples to Rome on the last day.

Any breweries or brew pubs worth a visit or stopping at for lunch/dinner.

I also have a free day in Palermo and 2 days in Sorrento, one day I am going to go to Paestrum and the other day is a drive along the Amalfi Coast but I should have at least a half day free there. I have a full day on Capri and heard that the Blue Grotto was overrated and frequently closed, any opinion? I figured I would visit Tiberius's palace, I'm a history geek but found out there's basically nothing left. Planning on visiting the Archaeological Museum in Naples is there anything else worth taking in?
    I'll be there with ya.
    My daughter was in Sorrento last year at this time and loved it. I think the Amalfi Coast will be quite good and not too busy. I'm doing the midnight tour of the depths of the colosseum, and the obligatory other stuff, but none of the things you mention.

We are heading the other direction. Florence, Pisa, Umbria, Siena, etc. Then off to Croatia by plane and back to Rome for a day before coming back mid october. I'm trying to get the girl to stop in Venice for a day or two to see "La Tempesta", but it's iffy. In Florence on the agenda are:"La Primavera", and "the Birth of Venus" both at the Uffizi, as well as " The Annunciation " at the San Marco monastery.
    I'm going got try to see " the last Supper" in Milan, but might not get in.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar

Where are you going?
    Yes.
    Where are you going?
    "Yeah, because Iím the genius marketer, not a code freak like you guys. Besides, Iím wearing sandals so I am iconoclasting a little bit."

From my limited experience in Europe, a rental car has been helpful. In the UK (specifically Scotland) I wanted to visit some distilleries, and many are out in the middle of nowhere, in the highlands, and there wasn't train access to them, so in that case the rental car was great. When I was in the Netherlands, I drove as well, because our jobsite was out in the middle of nowhere, and again, a car was helpful.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Thread Information