X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Heading here for Christmas weekend!
    My son, stationed in Korea, has gone there several times on leave. He loved it and we have a Boracay magnet on our fridge.
    Originally posted by mookie1995
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Heading here for Christmas weekend!
      Hope you are OK getting out and back, Slap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        As if I didn't hate you enough already...

How is that different from the rest of the tropical paradise that you call home? Isn't the whole place a beach?
        Hate is such a strong word. The only real difference is it's a smaller island than the one we live on, but I could drive one hour west and hit water, a bit longer to the north, 4 hours east and about 6 to the south.

Originally posted by burd View Post
        Hope you are OK getting out and back, Slap.
        Flight was uneventful thanks for asking. Heading out from the hotel now.

Go Vikings!

Comment

Planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in March for spring break. Not sure if it's worth spending some time in Phoenix or if I should spend some time in Flagstaff along with some time in the Grand Canyon area.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            Planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in March for spring break. Not sure if it's worth spending some time in Phoenix or if I should spend some time in Flagstaff along with some time in the Grand Canyon area.
            Raft trip??
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              One other option is to head out to the Las Vegas Speedway. I think they still have the Mario Andretti driving experience business out there. I've never done it, but I have friends who I go to Vegas with who have tried it, and they had a blast. It was a little pricey, as I recall. Maybe around $400/person, but they got to drive an Indy-style car around the Speedway at about 150-160 mph. I think they give you a certain number of laps, or maybe a fixed amount of time.

You will have to sign a document that reads something like, "There is a pretty good chance you will die doing this, and if that happens, your relatives can't sue us because you acknowledge this is a pretty dumb thing to do." My friends said that just added to the rush.
              Well you can do the Nurburgring in Germany for 10 dollars, so 400 seems a bit over the top to me. And you can rent a ride in a BMW M5 and have one of the best drivers in the world drive you around at ungodly speed, if you have the caHones.
              Personally, I'm playing golf.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

How much does that cost?
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Well you can do the Nurburgring in Germany for 10 dollars, so 400 seems a bit over the top to me. And you can rent a ride in a BMW M5 and have one of the best drivers in the world drive you around at ungodly speed, if you have the caHones.
                  I guessing that because this is 'Murica and it's in Vegas, no less, they are squeezing every last dollar out of you that they can.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Well, yeah, if the question had been "I'm going to be in Nurburg, Germany for a week, any ideas on things to do," or "What's the best driving experience for your dollar in the world," then I'd probably go with your response. But the poster was looking for ideas for things to do in Vegas. Granted, probably somewhere in Vegas there might be a mini re-creation of the Nurburgring, but I don't think it'll be the same experience you've written about.

The $400 is steep, and it's the primary reason that I didn't do it. But you do get to drive an Indy car, by yourself, with no passengers, at speeds of over 150 mph, on an actual race track that hosts Indy car races, so if you're into that sort of thing, it's probably worth it. My friends who tried it said it was worth every penny.

Finally, I'm a golfer. I'll play just about anywhere, and I've played a lot of golf in Vegas. There are a lot of things that are grossly overpriced in Las Vegas, and frankly golf is one of them. There are courses out there charging $150/round that I wouldn't pay $40 to play in the Twin Cities.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well, yeah, if the question had been "I'm going to be in Nurburg, Germany for a week, any ideas on things to do," or "What's the best driving experience for your dollar in the world," then I'd probably go with your response. But the poster was looking for ideas for things to do in Vegas. Granted, probably somewhere in Vegas there might be a mini re-creation of the Nurburgring, but I don't think it'll be the same experience you've written about.

The $400 is steep, and it's the primary reason that I didn't do it. But you do get to drive an Indy car, by yourself, with no passengers, at speeds of over 150 mph, on an actual race track that hosts Indy car races, so if you're into that sort of thing, it's probably worth it. My friends who tried it said it was worth every penny.

Finally, I'm a golfer. I'll play just about anywhere, and I've played a lot of golf in Vegas. There are a lot of things that are grossly overpriced in Las Vegas, and frankly golf is one of them. There are courses out there charging $150/round that I wouldn't pay $40 to play in the Twin Cities.
                      I was going to post something similar. For most people, the cost of the 'Ring also has to include getting there and a car to drive. Which can add up pretty fast. Maybe next time we are at Spa for a race.

But for the cost/experience- I did a NASCAR experience at Michigan Speedway that sounds very similar to the Indy car one in Vegas. IMHO, it's really worth it, even if you've been on a track at speed with your own car. Mine was a gift, and since it was my first time doing that thing- they limited me to 140, but I still had a great time, and really got a lot more respect for racers, especially the NASCAR ones. I still don't watch it, but I can see how hard that can be when you are doing 50mph more.

I'd love to do that in an open wheel car, even at Vegas speedway. That would really be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        I was going to post something similar. For most people, the cost of the 'Ring also has to include getting there and a car to drive. Which can add up pretty fast. Maybe next time we are at Spa for a race.

But for the cost/experience- I did a NASCAR experience at Michigan Speedway that sounds very similar to the Indy car one in Vegas. IMHO, it's really worth it, even if you've been on a track at speed with your own car. Mine was a gift, and since it was my first time doing that thing- they limited me to 140, but I still had a great time, and really got a lot more respect for racers, especially the NASCAR ones. I still don't watch it, but I can see how hard that can be when you are doing 50mph more.

I'd love to do that in an open wheel car, even at Vegas speedway. That would really be fun.
                        lil les did one of these on the Disney Speedway- no limit on speed- when he was 18. I still maintain it is the most fun a kid his age will have without a girlfriend. He didn't stop grinning for days.

Comment

As I am moving just outside of Nürnberg in less than two months, I decided to look up the "Nürnburgring" to see how easily I could get to it. Turns out, it's actually the Nürburgring and is about 4 hours by car west of Nürnberg. Must closer to Frankfurt or Köln.

Regardless... a bit of grinding my gears/travel issues. Finding a place to live for 2 adults, a dog and a cat in Germany is friggin tough, especially when living in the U.S. It's been about 5 months of searching and we still don't have anything. Finally, starting to go through realtors, but that costs nearly 2 months rent for them to "find" a place for you. We're essentially paying them to do all the paperwork, but that gets pricey.

Comment

Oops. Normally they go off the end of the runway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...f-edge-turkey/
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I played three courses last week. All had book rate greens fees over 150 and all were about 60 dollars for me to play. One guy we played with got his tee time on Last Minute golfer.com for 20 dollars. So it's out there. You have to be discriminating in Vegas for sure, but there are some nice courses and the greens are usually very fast. You can also go up to Mesquite which is about an hour and they have a couple of real nice courses for a lot less.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Mookie is in his suite in Emirates first class now. Stuck here with 4 beautiful Japanese ladies waiting on Mookie hand and foot. Only 9 hrs to go......

Heaven

And free WiFi up here (20gb free for the peeps in ****hole section)
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X