Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 756

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

  1. #561

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,160

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Then he would count to ten in German. That was a very, very bad thing to hear.
    I can imagine. Even gay men speaking German sound like Nazis.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  2. #562

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,160

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Say hello to the bus driver in the airport and he twitches like he's been shot.
    Too be fair, Austrians are like that too. They're a very uptight people, particularly out in the sticks.

    Being polite to people in New York or New England is hilarious. The stick is so far up their as-s they choke on it rather than return the gesture.

    One of the paradoxes of the States is the people out in Buttf-ck Stupid Country are also the most friendly, as long as you're One Of Them (which I can pass for as an old white male).
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-10-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  3. #563
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    28,084

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I can imagine. Even gay men speaking German sound like Nazis.
    Marine Major, Ret. When I was young he sounded scary when he was nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Too be fair, Austrians are like that too. They're a very uptight people, particularly out in the sticks.

    Being polite to people in New York or New England is hilarious. The stick is so far up their as-s they choke on it rather than return the gesture.

    One of the paradoxes of the States is the people out in Buttf-ck Stupid Country are also the most friendly, as long as you're One Of Them (which I can pass for as an old white male).
    ::Raises hand::
    We have lived in the same house for 23 yrs. Until last yr the guy who lives at the corner of my street would look like I shot him every time I waved at him. Grew up behind an AF base (in Mass) and went to school briefly on base overseas. Default in Mass is to not talk to someone for 5 yrs then maybe think about acknowledging them. This is not the way things work when people get transfered out every few yrs. it took me a very long time to figure out it wasn't me that people were being stuck up to. It was just the way they were. I talk to everyone (like I was on base, because that is how it works there) and some people just can't get over that. It weirds them out

  4. #564
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,694

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Being polite to people in New York or New England is hilarious. The stick is so far up their as-s they choke on it rather than return the gesture.
    This must be why I seem to do so well in New York, even though I've only be there a few times. I'm perfectly comfortable trudging right through a Don't Walk sign, while I grumble something about "tourists" who just stand and wait.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  5. #565

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,699
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    This must be why I seem to do so well in New York, even though I've only be there a few times. I'm perfectly comfortable trudging right through a Don't Walk sign, while I grumble something about "tourists" who just stand and wait.
    In my misspent youth, I was waiting for a walk sign on 8th Ave on the walk from the Port Authority bus station to MSG. A beat cop blew past me and muttered "What are you waiting for? Spring?" Figured it out after that.

    Now, in NYC when crossing streets, if I have a clear path, I go.

    Rumor has it DC cops will ticket Skywalker. I avoid DC like Kep avoids the Confederacy.

  6. #566
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,372

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I was waiting for a walk sign on 8th Ave on the walk from the Port Authority bus station to MSG. A beat cop blew past me and muttered "What are you waiting for? Spring?" Figured it out after that.

    Now, in NYC when crossing streets, if I have a clear path, I go.

    Rumor has it DC cops will ticket Skywalker. I avoid DC like Kep avoids the Confederacy.
    The streets in Manhattan are all one-ways, aren't they? That makes it quite a bit easier to judge when there is a safe opening.

  7. #567

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,699
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    The streets in Manhattan are all one-ways, aren't they? That makes it quite a bit easier to judge when there is a safe opening.
    Most are. Because the Avenues are so wide, you have to wait. The streets are 2 open lanes wide, max.

  8. #568
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,694

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Yeah, with the streets it is easy. Just carve around/through the gaggle of flyover folk standing there taking selfies and gawking up at the skyscrapers, and go.

    Avenues are a little trickier, but there are few incidents that can't be resolved by giving a honking driver the New York/New Jersey salute.

    Friends don't let friends stray into Times Square, especially during peak tourist times. To go to theaters/shows, walk up 8th Ave. and then cut over.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  9. #569

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,699
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Yeah, with the streets it is easy. Just carve around/through the gaggle of flyover folk standing there taking selfies and gawking up at the skyscrapers, and go.

    Avenues are a little trickier, but there are few incidents that can't be resolved by giving a honking driver the New York/New Jersey salute.

    Friends don't let friends stray into Times Square, especially during peak tourist times. To go to theaters/shows, walk up 8th Ave. and then cut over.
    I took the family to NYC for a day visit a few years ago. Did the usual stuff. Ground zero, Statue of Liberty, Grand Central, Battery. The fun was explaining to walk fast and don't dawdle else you'd get run over.

    The subway system was a novel experience for those used to the DC Metro. We had to switch from an uptown express to a downtown local to get to our stop. This was beyond my wife's comprehension. After I showed her the map, I then explained we had to go up a flight of stairs and the down another and to do it quickly if we wanted to catch the train. Again another level of incomprehension.

    She's not going to NYC again.

  10. #570
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36,378
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Most are. Because the Avenues are so wide, you have to wait. The streets are 2 open lanes wide, max.
    Not anymore it seems with the dam bike paths. Makes traffic crawl

  11. #571
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36,378
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

    Friends don't let friends stray into Times Square, especially during peak tourist times. To go to theaters/shows, walk up 8th Ave. and then cut over.
    Really???

    Part of the big reason to go there is BECAUSE OF the people.

    And Mookie is kind everywhere, whether appreciated or not. All of mookie's efforts are inward directed behavior-- mookie is who he is because mookie likes it
    He doesn't care how others take it

  12. #572
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,372

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Really???

    Part of the big reason to go there is BECAUSE OF the people.

    And Mookie is kind everywhere, whether appreciated or not. All of mookie's efforts are inward directed behavior-- mookie is who he is because mookie likes it
    He doesn't care how others take it
    That's mookie. What about you?

  13. #573
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,694

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Really???

    Part of the big reason to go there is BECAUSE OF the people.
    Yes, just not the ones in Times Square.

    Walk over into Hell's Kitchen, meet real people, eat real food - pretty simple, and not a strenuous walk even for the average middle American. Night and day difference.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  14. #574
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,676

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Yes, just not the ones in Times Square.

    Walk over into Hell's Kitchen, meet real people, eat real food - pretty simple, and not a strenuous walk even for the average middle American. Night and day difference.
    Do both.

    There's no good reason to avoid Times Square if you are a tourist. Just like there are good reasons to go to many other areas in Manhattan.

    Why restrict yourself?

  15. #575
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    5,860

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Do both.

    There's no good reason to avoid Times Square if you are a tourist. Just like there are good reasons to go to many other areas in Manhattan.

    Why restrict yourself?
    Exactly. It's like refusing to go to Bourbon Street on your first visit to New Orleans or skipping the beach the first time you see Miami.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  16. #576

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,160

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    No. Times Square is awful. It's one of those ultra famous places that's still not worth visiting, like Pike Place in Seattle, Circus Circus in Vegas now that it s-cks, or Faneuil Hall. You're not getting any experience in those places except an ironic, once-removed experience of the fame and recognition of the place, which you can get just by looking at it on TV. You don't actually see anything authentic at all.

    NYC has 10,000 fascinating places to go, including just making a random turn and walking and watching. Don't bother with what is just a glorified ESPNZone.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  17. #577
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,694

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Pike Place is worth it, just don't spend a whole day there. You meant to say the Space Needle.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  18. #578
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,676

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    No. Times Square is awful. It's one of those ultra famous places that's still not worth visiting, like Pike Place in Seattle, Circus Circus in Vegas now that it s-cks, or Faneuil Hall. You're not getting any experience in those places except an ironic, once-removed experience of the fame and recognition of the place, which you can get just by looking at it on TV. You don't actually see anything authentic at all.

    NYC has 10,000 fascinating places to go, including just making a random turn and walking and watching. Don't bother with what is just a glorified ESPNZone.
    Sorry- but let the traveler decide.

    The world isn't up to your opinion. Some people like to see the big ball of twine. Others can see through the fluff around Faneil Hall and see the history that is there- so let them.

    Seems like your problem that you can't get a decent experience.

  19. #579

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,160

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Pike Place is worth it, just don't spend a whole day there. You meant to say the Space Needle.
    True story. Looking up at the Space Needle was the last time I passed out. I'm pretty f-cking afraid of heights. I distinctly remember being out in the backyard of my house when I was about 7 and looking up at a 747, and then suddenly feeling like I was out on the wing looking dow--- (thunk).

    So I, ya know, avoid heights. I haven't had many bad spells as an adult: once while flying for probably the hundredth time suddenly being fixated on falling (thunk) and another time at the then Sears Tower looking down on the famous skydeck floor (vomit; thunk). The very last time was around '99, just at the base of the Space Needle (which BTW is rundown and seedy as sh-t) and then imagining suddenly climbing up on the outside... (you know).

    Also, yeah, the Space Needle sucks, and so does that silly urban monorail thingy that only goes about 200 feet. The thing to do in Seattle is go out to the gardens (name?) and look back to view the city and Rainier in the distance. You can only do it about 100 days a year because of the clouds, but when you see it you'll bust a nut it's so lovely.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-11-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  20. #580

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,160

    Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Sorry- but let the traveler decide.

    The world isn't up to your opinion.
    No. I have been sent here to order all your lives!
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •