Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

So, I basically have about 36 hours in Seoul next month. Arrive ~4:30 PM KST on Friday Dec. 15th, depart ~11:30 AM on Sunday Dec. 17th.

Booked the Millennium Hilton with points, but obviously I wanna do this Bourdain "The Layover" style, and just use my hotel as a crashpad.

Do I have the time/ability on Saturday to visit the DMZ and the Bridge of No Return? Or is it too far/has restrictions, and there is better stuff to do in town on a quick, whirlwind trip?

Anything I need to be sensitive to/aware of culturally, as an Anglo American slob?

And mookie, if you're reading this, I already know what your advice will be (NSFW!)
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

there's a good buck in that racket.

then mookie will keep quiet
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

bwahahaha!! this made me laugh

The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    So, I basically have about 36 hours in Seoul next month. Arrive ~4:30 PM KST on Friday Dec. 15th, depart ~11:30 AM on Sunday Dec. 17th.

Booked the Millennium Hilton with points, but obviously I wanna do this Bourdain "The Layover" style, and just use my hotel as a crashpad.

Do I have the time/ability on Saturday to visit the DMZ and the Bridge of No Return? Or is it too far/has restrictions, and there is better stuff to do in town on a quick, whirlwind trip?

Anything I need to be sensitive to/aware of culturally, as an Anglo American slob?

And mookie, if you're reading this, I already know what your advice will be (NSFW!)
    I highly recommend the DMZ tour. Make sure you get the one that also stops at the JSA, where you can step across the border in the conference room. They sell out quickly so book it in advance. We took the one that leaves from the front gate of the Yongsan Garrison.

He fixes the cable?

So the two week trip I was going to be taking to Israel in June (HOT) was shortened to one week. The second week will be in Milan instead!

Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    I highly recommend the DMZ tour. Make sure you get the one that also stops at the JSA, where you can step across the border in the conference room. They sell out quickly so book it in advance.
    Thanks, just took care of that right away. After getting screwed out of the Statue of Liberty on my first trip to Manhattan (because the summer tours sell out months in advance) I didn't want to take any chances, and was able to get into a DMZ/JSA tour group on Saturday the 16th. There was something about the UN requiring a color photocopy of my passport to enter the JSA, I assume I will be contacted about that shortly. I have it ready, it's just that there was no place to attach it to the booking. And I'm sure there will be a checkpoint where they stop to check everyone's ID.

EDIT: Voucher instructions for the tour told me where to send the scan. I should be good.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-16-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Thanks, just took care of that right away. After getting screwed out of the Statue of Liberty on my first trip to Manhattan (because the summer tours sell out months in advance) I didn't want to take any chances, and was able to get into a DMZ/JSA tour group on Saturday the 16th. There was something about the UN requiring a color photocopy of my passport to enter the JSA, I assume I will be contacted about that shortly. I have it ready, it's just that there was no place to attach it to the booking. And I'm sure there will be a checkpoint where they stop to check everyone's ID.

EDIT: Voucher instructions for the tour told me where to send the scan. I should be good.
    And bring your passport with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    And bring your passport with you.
    Goes without saying. Reviews seem to indicate that you'll have to surrender it to the tour guide, and they handle the officials.

Goes without saying. Reviews seem to indicate that you'll have to surrender it to the tour guide, and they handle the officials.
    Sounds shady. Next stop for fade is a dkrp prison.

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Sounds shady. Next stop for fade is a dkrp prison.
    Starvation, torture, insanity...what's not to love?

Either ROK or US soldiers will come on board to check them also when you get near the JSA. I hope you like sunglasses! ;-)
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.

Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

I'm cleared and confirmed. They will pick me up from my hotel about 7:30 AM on Saturday, and it's a full-day tour with lunch and motorcoach transportation included. Smart casual attire required - no t-shirts or shorts (but nice jeans are OK). It's December, so I expect chilly weather anyway. Other than that, it's basically just "don't be a moron" - when in the JSA, don't try to interact with North Korean troops, and don't touch any flags or equipment when they let you in the conference room. Double-check with your guide before taking pics or video, and follow all instructions from them and the military folks. There is also always a chance you could get screwed out of the JSA visit due to military tensions or exercises, and only be able to go to the observatory and see the Nork tunnels, so be prepared for that possibility (especially at the moment); there will not be any refund if that is the case.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-16-2017 at 09:06 PM.

And that is when you’ll wish you asked for mookie’s advice.....

Lucia Apologist

Hahahahaha

And that is when you’ll wish you asked for mookie’s advice.....
    We'll see, won't we?

We'll see, won't we?

I'm cleared and confirmed. They will pick me up from my hotel about 7:30 AM on Saturday, and it's a full-day tour with lunch and motorcoach transportation included. Smart casual attire required - no t-shirts or shorts (but nice jeans are OK). It's December, so I expect chilly weather anyway. Other than that, it's basically just "don't be a moron" - when in the JSA, don't try to interact with North Korean troops, and don't touch any flags or equipment when they let you in the conference room. Double-check with your guide before taking pics or video, and follow all instructions from them and the military folks. There is also always a chance you could get screwed out of the JSA visit due to military tensions or exercises, and only be able to go to the observatory and see the Nork tunnels, so be prepared for that possibility (especially at the moment); there will not be any refund if that is the case.
    They'll tell you not to take pictures or point at anything when you're outside looking at the NK building. They encourage pictures in the conference room.

Still upright

sounds great fade, on a different note, anyone going to Paris, I highly recommend this spot.
    https://holybellycafe.com
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Don't expect me to pull a Sydney Carton.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information