Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

In Nola for the week visiting family. Nothing big planned-enjoy the nice spring air, some walks, local festival or two, prob some music. We drove, so we plan to stop in Springfield on the way back to visit the Lincoln library, and I'm looking forward to that. Anyone here been there and have an idea how much time we should plan to spend there?

Still upright

a word of advice for travelers to higher altitude places like switzerland etc. If you bought trip insurance, at least on that stuff sold by Allianz, it is void for any activity over 8000 ft. so read the fine print carefully. my policy said, void for mountain climbing or other high altitude activities. the definition of which was anything over 8000 ft. I was able to find another policy but you have to be careful.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Running season has me traveling to Charlevoix and Detroit this year. Vegas will have to wait until I get vacation time.

In terms of Detroit, I'm looking for places to eat. Slow's is good (for after the Marathon), yes, but I also would like an amazing breakfast location.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

I'm curious if anyone here has ever driven the Mississippi Blues Highway, that stretch of U.S. 61 between New Orleans and Memphis, and have any unique suggestions of places to stop or eat.

I'm not going to have a ton of time, as I'll be leaving New Orleans in the morning and need to be in Memphis by that night. It would have been fun to find a little bar in Clarksdale or somewhere, but I'm just not going to have the time.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Still upright

I'm going to be in Reims, France next month. Has anyone been there, any hotel recommendations? Can you get a champagne tour from there? I was planning on driving from there to Verdun for a tour of the battlefields, is that a good plan? Would it be smarter to stay in Verdun? I'm doing a day trip to Nancy and to drive the former F1 circuit just west of town.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Experienced travelers probably already know this "trick," for me, I stumbled into it accidentally the first time, and it has worked well for me ever since.

Depending upon how much you are packing, here's a way either to use a smaller carry-on bag than otherwise (really useful on small planes whose overhead bins will not accommodate roller bags) or to use a carry-on bag instead of a checked bag.

Just about every airplane I've ever been on has a small closet with a clothespole in it when you first board. They always let me hang my suit bag in there, every time. Now, I pack most of my shirts on hangers in the suit bag (either along with the suit or even if I don't need to bring a suit). Everything else now fits in a backpack.

It was really handy this past trip as I had a connecting flight to catch and almost everyone on the first leg had to have their "carry on" bags stored below the plane at the boarding gate because it was a small plane that wouldn't fit roller bags overhead. I was able to deplane and walk away while just about everyone else had to line up and wait for their bags to be brought up to the gate.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 06-12-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

My vehicle is now a 48-stater. It might make 49, probably not 50 though.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I've seen cartoons and monster truck rallies, you could make it 50.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

There are only 49 states. Delaware is a myth.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Funny thing is, that was the 48th I picked up over the weekend.

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I've seen cartoons and monster truck rallies, you could make it 50.
    Technically I could even without the joke, given there are ways to ship a vehicle there and "cruise". However, I don't find it to be worth the trouble. Driving to Alaska, though, sounds like an interesting trip. I'll try to warn Jamesak so he can board up the house and put security ponies outside before I show up.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    Experienced travelers probably already know this "trick," for me, I stumbled into it accidentally the first time, and it has worked well for me ever since.

Depending upon how much you are packing, here's a way either to use a smaller carry-on bag than otherwise (really useful on small planes whose overhead bins will not accommodate roller bags) or to use a carry-on bag instead of a checked bag.

Just about every airplane I've ever been on has a small closet with a clothespole in it when you first board. They always let me hang my suit bag in there, every time. Now, I pack most of my shirts on hangers in the suit bag (either along with the suit or even if I don't need to bring a suit). Everything else now fits in a backpack.

It was really handy this past trip as I had a connecting flight to catch and almost everyone on the first leg had to have their "carry on" bags stored below the plane at the boarding gate because it was a small plane that wouldn't fit roller bags overhead. I was able to deplane and walk away while just about everyone else had to line up and wait for their bags to be brought up to the gate.
    What airline do you fly? Delta never lets me use the closet unless I'm in first class.

Not gonna convert it to a hydroplane, eh?

CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Heard about this. My friend who is a pilot for UAL is worried that Norwegian will bust up the ALPA.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    "I'm going to die in Delaware."

My son in a huge traffic jam a couple of July's ago as we were driving from Dover to Ocean City, MD.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

As luck would have it, Delta finally forced my hand on a fall vacation decision. The latest "Flash Sale" to Canada made it only 20,000 SkyPesos for a round-trip to Montreal, and it's usually a $500 trip from DTW.

Will be there Oct 14-18th. Timing it to also attend a frequent traveler conference in Chicago Oct 19-22nd that I had previously booked, so I can just take the entire week off rather than break it up over two different weeks.

Looked at the available Hiltons, and while the two that make sense certainly look nice, the points redemption prices were higher than I hoped, and they're not as well-located as I hoped either. So, I'm just going to continue banking HHonors points for an overseas jaunt next year. Instead, I booked a highly-rated AirBnb in the middle of Mont-Royal for less than half the cash price of the downtown Embassy Suites I was looking at, and it's an entire flat, so I'll have it all to myself for 4 nights.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Veteran

Miami at the end of July. Where to eat? What to do? I have one free night, and one free day, so a day trip anywhere isn't a possibility.

My wife and I, and another couple, just spent the better part of the last week and a half on a driving trip that took us to Dallas, New Orleans and Memphis. Had been to New Orleans before, but had arrived from and departed to Mobile, AL, so I had never spent any time in east Texas, Louisiana, the Mississippi delta region or area around Memphis.

I had a wedding to attend, which is the reason we were in Dallas. I was largely unimpressed. A big, urban sprawl and a general hassle to drive around in. I had to have been called "sugar" or "honey" a minimum of 75 times during our couple of days there.

We attended a Texas Rangers game, and I actually really liked their ballpark. I'm disappointed they are taking it down to put up a dome, but the heat I suppose.

Dealey Plaza, and in particular the Sixth Floor Museum at the Texas Book Depository were outstanding. The museum is a definite must for anyone who is in Dallas. A self-guided audio tour very similar to what they do at Ellis Island now.

We also went to the George W. Bush Presidential Library, since it was across the street from our hotel. It's the only Presidential Library I've ever visited, so I don't have anything to compare it to with respect to presidential libraries. In general my reaction was "meh." The recreation of the oval office was cool (I imagine they have that in most of the libraries, or at least the more modern ones.) The collection of trinkets gifted to Bush or the U.S. by visiting dignitaries was amusing. However, largely a waste of time.

The drive through east Texas and across the heart of Louisiana was mostly taken on more rural roads and not the interstates. Pretty poor section of the country.

We stopped at one gas station/convenience store NW of Baton Rouge and honest to god I stood at the counter looking for the closed caption button for northerners to use. I just laid down a $20 and hoped it was enough.

I've always found the city of New Orleans fascinating. A city of spectacular beauty and architecture. But the whole city feels like nature is just slowly winning the battle to reclaim the land.

Memphis is a dump. Beale Street, for live music lovers, is fun, but largely the city is forgettable. Maybe one of the best meals I've ever had, though, at Central BBQ, across the street from the Lorraine Motel museum. They've done a real nice job of preserving that site, but one that appears to be largely ignored.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I had a wedding to attend, which is the reason we were in Dallas. I was largely unimpressed. A big, urban sprawl and a general hassle to drive around in.
    The most depressing place to fly into during the daytime. Go to Google Earth, center on the DFW airport, turn on 3D and zoom out slowly. It's horrific but it explains a lot about why Texans are like that.

Dallas is what every suburb would look like if the Nazis had won the war.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Thread Information