Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

The old thread is closed, so on we go...

Spent the morning making various reservations for our Florida/St. Lucia/Florida trip in April.

It's on the horizon now that the holidays are behind us so time to get things situated. I'm getting excited!

Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

So my 75 year old dad has decided to get scuba certified so he can dive with my son and I in St. Lucia.

I have some trepidation over this as when I'm down there, I'm already keeping an eye on my son and now will have to watch him too - and he'll be a beginner. He's not the most easy-going guy either, so I wonder how tense he'll be and if he'll make others (specifically me) tense too.

The good thing is that my son is actually really comfortable under the waves and actually did better than me down below when we were in St. Thomas in terms of oxygen consumption - which means he was relaxed. Still my kid though and you never stop feeling responsible or watching out for them.

I hope it goes smoothly as pops is excited to join us.

Thursday I happened to be at the offices where people can submit their passport applications (I was there for a different reason). The guy in front of me was 83 years old and was applying for his first passport. Part of me was like "you go guy." But as I stood there I started to think that this was a lot like going to an ATM in a strip club. Nothing good could come from it, whatever he had planned.

Hopefully he was just going fishing in Canada.

We're headed back to the Playa del Carmen area in Mexico. February 19th which, according to my wife this morning, is 4 weeks and 3 days away.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

In October, I'm visiting the Twin Cities for the marathon again. Planned stops include Matt's Bar, Gasthof's, the Science Center, the Capitol, and a couple other places. I also understand there is a fantastic breakfast spot that starts with an "L," but I forgot its name.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    In October, I'm visiting the Twin Cities for the marathon again. Planned stops include Matt's Bar, Gasthof's, the Science Center, the Capitol, and a couple other places. I also understand there is a fantastic breakfast spot that starts with an "L," but I forgot its name.
    Do you mean the Science Museum when you say Science Center? I don't know the "L" place.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Do you mean the Science Museum when you say Science Center? I don't know the "L" place.
    Yes, Museum.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

I need start planning a Hawaii trip for this summer. It's for our 25 yr anniversary so I wanted do it in October to be closer to the date. My wife decided we have to bring the kid along though so during summer break.

And maybe I'm missing the mark on breakfast anyway. Every article I've read on "Twin Cities Breakfast" says I must go to Al's Breakfast in the Dinkytown neighborhood.
    ― Franz Kafka

Internet Nutcase

Thinking about Iceland with the wife for our 10 year anniversary. Hope to do some backpacking/hiking.

Alien With an Attitude

Heading to Granada Spain on the 31st to work at the 2015 Winter Universiade. Two weeks in Granada and hoping to get in at least one round of golf while finding time to sightsee between hockey games and events on the ski slopes.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar

And maybe I'm missing the mark on breakfast anyway. Every article I've read on "Twin Cities Breakfast" says I must go to Al's Breakfast in the Dinkytown neighborhood.
    That's what I was going to suggest. It's probably what you were thinking when you were thinking of "L"
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    That's what I was going to suggest. It's probably what you were thinking when you were thinking of "L"
    I did see a profile of them on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.
    ― Franz Kafka

We are heading to Japan in April or May for a 2 week honeymoon. Going to see Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, and Osaka.

Veteran

This is a short trip, but in February I'm flying down to Durham to see Duke play at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Seeing a game there has been on my sports "Bucket List" for some time. I'm pretty psyched!

Still upright

I just got back from 2 weeks in St George, Utah playing golf and hiking the National Parks down there. Great time, Golf was less than half what it costs in florida and Tee times were easy to get.
    in late November I did a two week vacation in Puerto Rico,( Vieques Island), great beaches, snorkeling and diving there. Even my girl friend liked it, and good kayaking too.
    My buddy is recommending a resort on Borneo, relatively easy to get to and the 4 star hotel costs 130 per night.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Don't forget Mickey's Diner!
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

headed to Boston in April for Frozen Four
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Colorado this summer for a long weekend. Haven't been there in quite a while, and Brenthoven needs new ink.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Don't forget Mickey's Diner!
    Just before leaving last time in 2012, my hostess took me there for breakfast. Must go back.
    ― Franz Kafka

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Heading to Palm Desert, CA the last week in February.
    Can. Not. Wait.
    May take a day in LA for some beach time and maybe some rube stuff like the walk of fame & Hollywood sign.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

Thread Information