X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I'd go back to Colombia, for sure. Bogota was awesome. I'll still travel, just on my own dime.
    It gets old doing it for work regularly. More often than not as of late, my clients are in the suburbs and it's a snooze. I saw almost none of Memphis. Omaha was pretty neat though, I got to stay downtown and I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
      I think you should.
      Hell, I triple-dog-dare you to do just that!
      I’ll tell the coworker planning the trip. She’ll appreciate that.

I do know this trip is being pushed by high-level players. So... maybe

(Especially if those high-level players come! )
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
        I am sure you will get good answers here but you may want to post on GPL, too, I know several there have spend significant time in London including my kid. He was there for a semester not too long ago and has been back a few times since so hopefully he will chime in with suggestions.
        I used to live in London. But it’s not my favorite place so I feel like I never know what to tell people. I do think staying near covent gardens or Kensington are good locations.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I’ll tell the coworker planning the trip. She’ll appreciate that.

I do know this trip is being pushed by high-level players. So... maybe

(Especially if those high-level players come! )
          Sell it as an chance to get more work done with the extra space. Maybe cook up a mid-air "team building exercise"

Comment

So I should try to justify on cost savings? Hell, I’ll even buy my own breakfast.
            Cool story about the jet, when I was in London one of the guys I was traveling with had a grand mal seizure on a Friday night. No clue why or what caused it and he was discharged after a few hours. The lady who ran our group is really good and was on the phone most of the night working to get a plane there the next morning to fly him home because she didn't want him to fly commercial and risk another seizure. Thought that was really amazing; they got him the next day and he flew home with two pilots and the flight attendant.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              It gets old doing it for work regularly. More often than not as of late, my clients are in the suburbs and it's a snooze. I saw almost none of Memphis. Omaha was pretty neat though, I got to stay downtown and I was pleasantly surprised.
              I almost always try to bookend my trips with a weekend whenever I’m going to fun places. I know it doesn’t always work out, but I’ll definitely pick up the cost of a couple extra nights in a hotel if it’s a destination. When I had a conference down in Austin, I stayed two weekends. Totally worth it.

After working in a plant with little travel for six years, I’m ready to start traveling everywhere. Even if it means going to bum**** where ever. To get to bum**** you usually have to fly into a somewhat large city.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Cool story about the jet, when I was in London one of the guys I was traveling with had a grand mal seizure on a Friday night. No clue why or what caused it and he was discharged after a few hours. The lady who ran our group is really good and was on the phone most of the night working to get a plane there the next morning to fly him home because she didn't want him to fly commercial and risk another seizure. Thought that was really amazing; they got him the next day and he flew home with two pilots and the flight attendant.
                I know they’ve flown people home in the past when there’s an immediate family emergency or if there’s a medical reason.
                Code:

Comment

I almost always try to bookend my trips with a weekend whenever I’m going to fun places. I know it doesn’t always work out, but I’ll definitely pick up the cost of a couple extra nights in a hotel if it’s a destination. When I had a conference down in Austin, I stayed two weekends. Totally worth it.

After working in a plant with little travel for six years, I’m ready to start traveling everywhere. Even if it means going to bum**** where ever. To get to bum**** you usually have to fly into a somewhat large city.
                  I used to do this whenever I traveled. Now I try to get home at a decent time. I get to travel a decent amount, and get to see cool places, so I don't usually need to purposely extend trips for fun times.

I have gotten free time in quite a few places, just as a result of my work travels, free weekends in Sweden, Scotland, Bogota, Argentina, Mumbai, and now it looks like I'll get one in London too.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Part of the team I supervise is in LA so I now get down there a few times a year. I actually like LA so it's nice to go there, especially in May....November....March....if it works maybe make it into a long weekend and hang out with my parents in the desert....
                    July wasn't as much fun but I wanted to do mid-years in person.

Comment

July in LA is horrible. I thought I had died and gone straight to hell. Outstanding Korean food, though.

Comment

Hotter than hell. I was in Monrovia/Acadia so it's even worse in the foothills, almost 100 every day. Cut out of work early one day a drove down to Santa Monica just so I drive up the coast and grab dinner outside somewhere. Get to the ocean and it's around 75 with a nice breeze. Amazing difference and a nice break.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          I used to do this whenever I traveled. Now I try to get home at a decent time. I get to travel a decent amount, and get to see cool places, so I don't usually need to purposely extend trips for fun times.

I have gotten free time in quite a few places, just as a result of my work travels, free weekends in Sweden, Scotland, Bogota, Argentina, Mumbai, and now it looks like I'll get one in London too.
                          Yeah, but you’re married. I’m not tied down to anything or anyone. Makes it a lot easier to justify those longer trips.

It’s really only been since the Philly Frozen Four that I started traveling again. Before hat it was during college we took road trips. So I haven’t burnt out from it yet.

I have no idea if you’ll like London or not. I’ve always loved my time there but I’ve never spent more than four days at a time. I hope you enjoy it.
                          Code:

Comment

Hotter than hell. I was in Monrovia/Acadia so it's even worse in the foothills, almost 100 every day. Cut out of work early one day a drove down to Santa Monica just so I drive up the coast and grab dinner outside somewhere. Get to the ocean and it's around 75 with a nice breeze. Amazing difference and a nice break.
                            I almost spent a summer (or longer) working at a plant in Camarillo. I would have almost certainly died.
                            Code:

Comment

I almost spent a summer (or longer) working at a plant in Camarillo. I would have almost certainly died.
                              I have responsibility for OCSD - Monrovia is where my team is plus we ship a most everything on the other side of the business from Irvine. I try to sneak a meeting in at Irvine so I can justify the higher cost of SNA over LAX.

If you ever get a chance to tour either one, do it. Really amazing. To me Monrovia was especially amazing, 30-40 foot bars of ½ or ¾ inch stainless steel comes in one end, brackets and bands for braces come out the other.

Comment

I got to see the plant in seefeld this past summer. That was amazing stuff.

But I would love to see Irvine and Monrovia. You’re not the first person to recommend a visit.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X