X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    True story. Looking up at the Space Needle was the last time I passed out. I'm pretty f-cking afraid of heights. I distinctly remember being out in the backyard of my house when I was about 7 and looking up at a 747, and then suddenly feeling like I was out on the wing looking dow--- (thunk).

So I, ya know, avoid heights. I haven't had many bad spells as an adult: once while flying for probably the hundredth time suddenly being fixated on falling (thunk) and another time at the then Sears Tower looking down on the famous skydeck floor (vomit; thunk). The very last time was around '99, just at the base of the Space Needle (which BTW is rundown and seedy as sh-t) and then imagining suddenly climbing up on the outside... (you know).

Also, yeah, the Space Needle sucks, and so does that silly urban monorail thingy that only goes about 200 feet. The thing to do in Seattle is go out to the gardens (name?) and look back to view the city and Rainier in the distance. You can only do it about 100 days a year because of the clouds, but when you see it you'll bust a nut it's so lovely.
    Not true - the monorail goes easily 243 feet. Of course, that doesn't take into account that it was designed so poorly that the two cars collided a few years ago because there wasn't enough room for them to pass each other (true story). And if you think the Space Needle sucks, you haven't been to Pioneer Square. I don't know what gardens you are referring to (Golden Gardens?) but for a very nice day go to Double Bluff Beach on Whidbey Island. You can watch the ferries go by, play in the water and see downtown Seattle and Rainier behind it. And bring a bottle of wine.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Do both.

There's no good reason to avoid Times Square if you are a tourist. Just like there are good reasons to go to many other areas in Manhattan.

Why restrict yourself?
      Common ground!!!!!!
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

mookie booked 159 rt to Dubai for end of the month Eid. Airfare to Amman or Beirut was just too much. Will go hit the 3 courses at Dubai Creek if he has to.... someone should
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I'm seriously in love with this place. If you're ever in Munich you need to stay at Gastof Hotel zur Post down in Herrsching. The hotel is only overshadowed by the food and staff.
          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 08-12-2017, 03:04 PM.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I'm seriously in love with this place. If you're ever in Munich you need to stay at Gastof Hotel zur Post. The hotel is only overshadowed by the food and staff.
            Munich is the most liveable European city, to me. Not stuck up and expensive (London, Paris), not dirty and hot (Italy, Spain), proximity to the Alps without dealing with the snow (think Denver), great food, and there at least 3, maybe 4 place to get amazing beer. I would live there in a heartbeat.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Absolutely. The people here are great. The food is essentially perfect (maybe a tad heavy to eat much longer than I'm going to be here). The scenery is wonderful. And all of the engineers here at the site I'm visiting have been a treat to work with.

The beer here could use some variety. WOuld it kill them to brew an IPA once every hundred years?
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If I were Bavarian, I would revoke your right to enter the city just for uttering "IPA." Blasphemy.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

So, I started to research different credit cards after last month's fiasco when I traveled and you all enlightened me to the no fee thingy. I have a dozen windows open. After having Discover which does everything I want- no international fees, no annual fee, cashback for everything, and minimal fee if I get cash advance. I can't find anything that makes me happy. My Credit score is almost at max (I am a wonderchild with that). I don't want miles- I never know when I am going to be able to fly. The Cashback card I can find for Capitol ONe charges 23% for cash advance. Um no. Everyone I know uses their Credit Union for Visa. The thing I am trying to escape- first world problems.

Comment

That CapitalOne Quicksilver card that you mentioned is probably the closest you will get to all of your requirements. More often than not, "no foreign transaction fees" is a perk of paying for a card with an annual fee, and I honestly do not know of a major CC that doesn't commit borderline usury for a cash advance, so I always avoid that.

Comment

Ya. The wife and I went with Amex when we first got married. We pay the yearly fee, but get the free companion flight. So it evens out.

They also have stellar customer service to this point.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Hilton Head in 6 days. Looking forward to 62nd BD staring at the sun.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          Ya. The wife and I went with Amex when we first got married. We pay the yearly fee, but get the free companion flight. So it evens out.

AmEx customer service is amazing - even their chat support is seamless. It better be though, when we pay $195-$550 every year just to hold one of the high-end cards.

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

We have this, too. It 'forces' us to travel every year. Oh well.
                            Been very happy with it.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Hilton Head in 6 days. Looking forward to 62nd BD staring at the sun.
                              Like to ride bike, joe?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Like to ride bike, joe?
                                I haven't ridden a bike in over 30 years. I think I may need to test the theory.

I'm also planning to chase the little white ball around acres of green grass and sand.

Plus Savannah and maybe Charleston.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X