This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    If the food and beer you're consuming at the state fair sucks, you're eating the wrong food, and drinking the wrong beer.
    Maybe he's just new to travelling abroad and everything is "better" than at home. Cause it's new and exciting.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      Maybe he's just new to travelling abroad and everything is "better" than at home. Cause it's new and exciting.
      Or I'm not, and Europe (and likely much but not all of the world) has legitimately better food than we have.

The only thing so far that Murica does significantly better is beef. The steaks in the US are much better. A case could be made for beer, but when you work in the cost, America starts to lose its significant lead. Especially at the state fair. I got half a liter of a good dunkel for €4 ($4.72).

The food at the fair is just starting to get gross. Everything is deep far fried. Here there was tons of rotisserie meats, strudels, various burgers, tons of other desserts. All very reasonably priced. Nothing more than €6-€7.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        You get what you pay for with ULCC's...
        You're preaching to the choir, there.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          It's basically "Air Canada does Spirit". 29" economy pitch.
          I fly so seldom that the 29" pitch means very little to me.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Or I'm not, and Europe (and likely much but not all of the world) has legitimately better food than we have.

The only thing so far that Murica does significantly better is beef. The steaks in the US are much better. A case could be made for beer, but when you work in the cost, America starts to lose its significant lead. Especially at the state fair. I got half a liter of a good dunkel for €4 ($4.72).

The food at the fair is just starting to get gross. Everything is deep far fried. Here there was tons of rotisserie meats, strudels, various burgers, tons of other desserts. All very reasonably priced. Nothing more than €6-€7.
            I want to be where you are!

Comment

So the variety may be better. Not necessarily the quality.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

And because of fog in Amsterdam this morning, we get farked and miss our flight to MSP.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

And because of fog in Amsterdam this morning, we get farked and miss our flight to MSP.
                  Delays suck, but at least you're in a nice airport.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    One of the best places to be stuck though.

Comment

Our agent booked a night at the Sheraton for us. I'm ok with that. Amsterdam is a great city. Been here a few times as well.

Our flight from Munich had about 10-11 people heading to MSP that missed. All of the flights sold out almost immediately. We're here until 1 pm tomorrow.
                      Code:

Comment

The transfer desk had a wait of 120-385 minutes.

Puke.

Thank God we had a travel agent.
                        Code:

Comment

Most of the best new foods at the fair lately have been the ethnic foods and are not deep fried. They have really been excellent lately, you just need to know which places to go. The fair has done a pretty good job of diversifying the types of foods available, and that has been a very positive development.

For price, I expect to pay more at the fair, just like I do at a ballgame. And beer, the US is way ahead of Germany, IMO. Because my 2 favorite styles of beer, by far, IPAs and Imperial Stouts, are virtually not existent in Germany. A hefe? A dunkel? Blah. They're not bad, but I can just have one every once in a while and then I need to go back to something with more flavor. And then you get into Helles lagers, and pils, which I think taste like skunk ****, even the good ones. Give me American beers (with the IPA revolution and big stouts) and Belgian beers (mmmmmm), and I'll be happy.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Our agent booked a night at the Sheraton for us. I'm ok with that. Amsterdam is a great city. Been here a few times as well.

Our flight from Munich had about 10-11 people heading to MSP that missed. All of the flights sold out almost immediately. We're here until 1 pm tomorrow.
                            I do not recommend Club Vandersexxxxx.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Most of the best new foods at the fair lately have been the ethnic foods and are not deep fried. They have really been excellent lately, you just need to know which places to go. The fair has done a pretty good job of diversifying the types of foods available, and that has been a very positive development.

For price, I expect to pay more at the fair, just like I do at a ballgame. And beer, the US is way ahead of Germany, IMO. Because my 2 favorite styles of beer, by far, IPAs and Imperial Stouts, are virtually not existent in Germany. A hefe? A dunkel? Blah. They're not bad, but I can just have one every once in a while and then I need to go back to something with more flavor. And then you get into Helles lagers, and pils, which I think taste like skunk ****, even the good ones. Give me American beers (with the IPA revolution and big stouts) and Belgian beers (mmmmmm), and I'll be happy.
                              Germany is stuck with its Purity law, which pertain to the ingredients used strictly for its beer brewing purposes. They went into effect a long time ago for reasons I don't recall exactly. Regardless, the Germans have brewers who lament the law's existence, and think it's why the Belgians have, in many ways, surpassed the Germans when it comes to brewing.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Europe and the US are opposite in food. In the US you go to the cities for great food while, other than BBQ, rural American food is trash. In Europe, the rustic cuisine is wonderful and the city food is forgettable (Western Europe) or undigestable (Central Europe).
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X