X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    You aren't the only one, RB. Even though I understand why they do it, I strongly dislike how the airlines now nickel and dime the services to varying degrees. It's not going away though, if you've ever looked at the balance sheets - extra fees are a big part of the new airline business model and continue getting bigger each year. Whoever is running Spirit is an evil genius, when I think of what a rinky-dink, nearly-bankrupt airline it was in the early 2000s, holding together its ancient MD-83 fleet with duct tape.
    Airbus gave them 25 airbus a/c for free for 4 years. that does help of course. They pay now, but airbus does this stuff to steal Boeing customers.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I don't mind some nickel-and-dime stuff (like carry-on fees). The only prob I have with airlines is them not strictly enforcing the carry-on rules. If you have a bag that you didn't check, and it's too large...hey! Free checked-luggage! Whee! F that noise. They should match the bag to the flier, and charge their arse for it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I don't mind some nickel-and-dime stuff (like carry-on fees). The only prob I have with airlines is them not strictly enforcing the carry-on rules. If you have a bag that you didn't check, and it's too large...hey! Free checked-luggage! Whee! F that noise. They should match the bag to the flier, and charge their arse for it.
        I am in agreement that if you get on the plane (a regular wide or narrow-body aircraft, not a regional jet) and it doesn't fit in the overhead bin, you should get charged. However, if you get on-board and they are out of overhead bin space, as often happens on the legacy carriers that don't charge for carry-ons, then I would just tag it and send it below. That is one advantage to flying the no-frills carriers that charge for every farking thing - since it costs more to bring a roller bag on-board than to put it underneath, most people cheap out, and the plane unloads that much faster on the other end. It does, however, cheese me off when they charge for things like selecting your seat in advance, even if it's the middle seat in the last row. That serves no visible purpose other than milking pax for a little extra "convenience" money just because they booked early enough to try and snag an aisle seat near the front of the aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I am in agreement that if you get on the plane (a regular wide or narrow-body aircraft, not a regional jet) and it doesn't fit in the overhead bin, you should get charged. However, if you get on-board and they are out of overhead bin space, as often happens on the legacy carriers that don't charge for carry-ons, then I would just tag it and send it below. That is one advantage to flying the no-frills carriers that charge for every farking thing - since it costs more to bring a roller bag on-board than to put it underneath, most people cheap out, and the plane unloads that much faster on the other end. It does, however, cheese me off when they charge for things like selecting your seat in advance, even if it's the middle seat in the last row. That serves no visible purpose other than milking pax for a little extra "convenience" money just because they booked early enough to try and snag an aisle seat near the front of the aircraft.
          If the airline runs out of room, I have no problem with free checked luggage. Not at all. Some people cheat the system. THAT is what I get mad about. Those other charges like seat selection, etc, are BS.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

This is starting to change. I saw the Delta gate agents get credit cards from people if their "carry on" didn't fit within standards while waiting to board at IND on Friday.
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

It's kind of funny. Airlines charge fees for checked luggage, but no carry on luggage fees. Presumably because of the costs associated with having baggage handlers.

Now they've realized this has caused everyone to forego checking bags, if possible, and go through the craziness that is the loading of the passenger compartment by a bunch of people trying to cram too many bags into too small of a space. This is costing airlines money as they sit waiting at the gate.

I see Delta is going to experiment with a "valet" service (no word yet on whether it will be free) whereby they take your carry on for you and stow it directly above your seat. But presumably this is going to cost the airlines in the form of baggage handlers, thus completing the circle.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I get checked bags for free. But I still just carry on. I don't own any luggage, just a duffle that always fits in overhead.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  I get checked bags for free. But I still just carry on. I don't own any luggage, just a duffle that always fits in overhead.
                  I wanted to talk to you about your unwillingness to change your underwear regularly.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    I wanted to talk to you about your unwillingness to change your underwear regularly.
                    What odd fetishes you have.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                      First for both. Thanks, tow trip already booked.

It's my first BWCA trip but not my first canoe trip, nor first time on a shield lake. ;-)

Do you know your route yet?

What lakes will you be on?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Do you know your route yet?

What lakes will you be on?
                        The outfitter will shuttle us through Moose and Newfound to the portage into Splash, we'll go through Splash and another short portage into Ensign. We plan to camp on Ensign. May day trip to Ashigan for smallies or backtrack to Splash for pike, but if fishing is good enough in Ensign may just stay there. I don't want to challenge the hardware in my ankle too much.

Comment

The outfitter will shuttle us through Moose and Newfound to the portage into Splash, we'll go through Splash and another short portage into Ensign. We plan to camp on Ensign. May day trip to Ashigan for smallies or backtrack to Splash for pike, but if fishing is good enough in Ensign may just stay there. I don't want to challenge the hardware in my ankle too much.

LOL

Ensign Lake is where a bear got our food pack once. Was hung in a tree, but too close to the trunk. Bear ripped the bottom out.

Was in 92 or so, so I think you're safe unless it taught it's offspring.

Went up along the border and came down through Vera Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            LOL

Ensign Lake is where a bear got our food pack once. Was hung in a tree, but too close to the trunk. Bear ripped the bottom out.

Was in 92 or so, so I think you're safe unless it taught it's offspring.

Went up along the border and came down through Vera Lake.
                            I have been offered the use of a bear canister which are all the rage now in lieu of hanging packs. We'll see which approach we use. And we'll quiz the outfitter on bear sightings. May try to grab an island campsite to be a little less likely to have ursine visitors.

Comment

I have been offered the use of a bear canister which are all the rage now in lieu of hanging packs. We'll see which approach we use. And we'll quiz the outfitter on bear sightings. May try to grab an island campsite to be a little less likely to have ursine visitors.

Quite honestly, that was the only bear that ever came to our camp (that we know of) in all of the trips I've taken up there and it was a known nuisance that summer of which I was made aware after we got back to the outfitter.

"Oh yeah, we've heard about a raider on that lake."

They might have even known that our site was where the bear frequented.

I wouldn't worry about it. Hanging usually works. I think we got complacent and weren't careful enough about the distance from the trunk.

On another note, I picked up this book way back in the day after my first couple of trips and still found it to be wildly informative and helpful. And a good read - quite amusing in parts, iirc.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...61/paddlingnet

Maybe too late for you to read it now and/or maybe you don't need to - although as I said, I had been on a couple of trips and still learned a lot.

Being hunters, you probably know this, but bring the mosquito nets and leave the blue jeans at home!
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 06-04-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah and take steaks in for the first night's meal.

Not much better in this world than a steak after you first day of paddling as the sun goes down.

Sigh.

Been too long since I've been up there...

Comment

Working...
                                X