This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Vancouver for 4 days later next week. Suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      Vancouver for 4 days later next week. Suggestions?
      Gastown and Chinatown. Also, Stanley Park.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Whitecaps or Lions game at BC Place. Float Plane tour wouldn't be bad either.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Stanley park is beautiful

Comment

Early bumping on United

http://trib.al/m6r2OWM
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Heading to Cuba. Tell you about it later.
              Sailing back to Tampa after an amazing day in Havana. But I'm typing on a phone, so this will be it.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Sailing back to Tampa after an amazing day in Havana. But I'm typing on a phone, so this will be it.
                So the trip was a cruise from Tampa to Key West and Havana. The cruise line helped document what is required to the US laws and also got us the Cuban Visas. Given the climbing costs of resorts and the natural hesitancy to get a B&B in Cuba, right now, taking a cruise is a good deal to head down and get a feel so that you can be confident to make more plans.

We had a 7.5 hour tour in an air conditions 59 Impala. The whole day was both overwhelming and amazing. So amazing that we booked some cruises that we can overnight in Havana to see some of the clubs.

So there are restrictions for US citizens going to Cuba- we have to do a people to people travel thing. On June 16, don made an announcement thanks to little maro to stop allowing people to do this kind of travel- which is kind of dumb to me. By letting that take place, we worked directly with a Cuban entrepreneur, who got the most out of us visiting Cuba. There's plenty of things going on that is relaxing the hard lines all the time, and having US citizens come and spend money directly is one big way to keep that movement going.

Hopefully, the threatened restrictions wont take place, but we will see. At the moment, there are many cruise lines who are going to Havana, and I encourage anyone who wants to go to act and go.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  So the trip was a cruise from Tampa to Key West and Havana. The cruise line helped document what is required to the US laws and also got us the Cuban Visas. Given the climbing costs of resorts and the natural hesitancy to get a B&B in Cuba, right now, taking a cruise is a good deal to head down and get a feel so that you can be confident to make more plans.

We had a 7.5 hour tour in an air conditions 59 Impala. The whole day was both overwhelming and amazing. So amazing that we booked some cruises that we can overnight in Havana to see some of the clubs.

So there are restrictions for US citizens going to Cuba- we have to do a people to people travel thing. On June 16, don made an announcement thanks to little maro to stop allowing people to do this kind of travel- which is kind of dumb to me. By letting that take place, we worked directly with a Cuban entrepreneur, who got the most out of us visiting Cuba. There's plenty of things going on that is relaxing the hard lines all the time, and having US citizens come and spend money directly is one big way to keep that movement going.

Hopefully, the threatened restrictions wont take place, but we will see. At the moment, there are many cruise lines who are going to Havana, and I encourage anyone who wants to go to act and go.
                  That's pretty awesome. At this point though, I would probably book it through Canada to be on the safe side. At least, as long as our current POTUS is in office. Can hide the visit, and don't need to document Spanish lessons, museum visits, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    That's pretty awesome. At this point though, I would probably book it through Canada to be on the safe side. At least, as long as our current POTUS is in office. Can hide the visit, and don't need to document Spanish lessons, museum visits, etc.
                    With a cruise ship, that's totally not needed. They document everything to keep it legal.

RCI looks go to Havana about 1.5 times a week for the next year and a half. Some with overnight stays. I'm pretty sure Carnival has a ship that does the same.

And they help you document the tours you take outside of them.

We've already booked two more cruises to Havana (back to back, including one overnight stay next year). Hopefully, the rules don't change- as it's clear that getting directly to the people works really well.

On top of that, if don restricts things too much, his buddies in the resort businesses will get really ****ed.

(although, there are rumors that he will take over a recently stopped project and call it trump tower- talk about being corrupt- make laws that directly advantages your business in the future).

Comment

Sure, but what if you wanted to check out other Cuban cities? Santiago, for instance.

Comment

Gotta start someplace.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          Going to Canada in a bit- I know you guys will have the answer- How do you handle the $ situation? Do you pay for everything in American or get some $ exchanged to bring?

Don't like to carry a bunch of cash so usually pay with the Credit card but the Visa we have has a fee for that. Discover does not but a lot of places don't take that. Thoughts?

I use a combination of my credit card and take Canadian cash out at the ATM. The foreign transaction fee (3%) on my primary card (REI rewards) is on the higher end -- I also have a Discover I use when I can.

Comment

Now that we're talking about Canada, I am going to repeat my question, just once. Does anyone have advice for Montreal? Particularly the Mont Royal area. I've already booked 2 things - a Habs-Leafs game the Saturday that I arrive, and an Au Pied Du Cochon dinner for Sunday night, because I have to get my foie gras and pork on.

Is the '76 Olympic Park worth the trip?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Now that we're talking about Canada, I am going to repeat my question, just once. Does anyone have advice for Montreal? Particularly the Mont Royal area. I've already booked 2 things - a Habs-Leafs game the Saturday that I arrive, and an Au Pied Du Cochon dinner for Sunday night, because I have to get my foie gras and pork on.

Is the '76 Olympic Park worth the trip?
                              Pie IX (Pius IX) on the Metro, IIRC. Yea, but don't spend a day there.

There is also the Atwater shopping plaza (site of The old Forum).

If the CFL is your thing, the Alouettes play at McGill.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                I use a combination of my credit card and take Canadian cash out at the ATM. The foreign transaction fee (3%) on my primary card (REI rewards) is on the higher end -- I also have a Discover I use when I can.
                                You can get a schwab debit card with no foreign transaction fees and no atm fees anywhere in the world. then you can use the one card for both ATM's and for charging stuff. all fees at any atm reimbursed in full.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X