X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    There are only 49 states. Delaware is a myth.
    "I'm going to die in Delaware."

My son in a huge traffic jam a couple of July's ago as we were driving from Dover to Ocean City, MD.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

As luck would have it, Delta finally forced my hand on a fall vacation decision. The latest "Flash Sale" to Canada made it only 20,000 SkyPesos for a round-trip to Montreal, and it's usually a $500 trip from DTW.

Will be there Oct 14-18th. Timing it to also attend a frequent traveler conference in Chicago Oct 19-22nd that I had previously booked, so I can just take the entire week off rather than break it up over two different weeks.

Looked at the available Hiltons, and while the two that make sense certainly look nice, the points redemption prices were higher than I hoped, and they're not as well-located as I hoped either. So, I'm just going to continue banking HHonors points for an overseas jaunt next year. Instead, I booked a highly-rated AirBnb in the middle of Mont-Royal for less than half the cash price of the downtown Embassy Suites I was looking at, and it's an entire flat, so I'll have it all to myself for 4 nights.

Comment

Miami at the end of July. Where to eat? What to do? I have one free night, and one free day, so a day trip anywhere isn't a possibility.

Comment

My wife and I, and another couple, just spent the better part of the last week and a half on a driving trip that took us to Dallas, New Orleans and Memphis. Had been to New Orleans before, but had arrived from and departed to Mobile, AL, so I had never spent any time in east Texas, Louisiana, the Mississippi delta region or area around Memphis.

I had a wedding to attend, which is the reason we were in Dallas. I was largely unimpressed. A big, urban sprawl and a general hassle to drive around in. I had to have been called "sugar" or "honey" a minimum of 75 times during our couple of days there.

We attended a Texas Rangers game, and I actually really liked their ballpark. I'm disappointed they are taking it down to put up a dome, but the heat I suppose.

Dealey Plaza, and in particular the Sixth Floor Museum at the Texas Book Depository were outstanding. The museum is a definite must for anyone who is in Dallas. A self-guided audio tour very similar to what they do at Ellis Island now.

We also went to the George W. Bush Presidential Library, since it was across the street from our hotel. It's the only Presidential Library I've ever visited, so I don't have anything to compare it to with respect to presidential libraries. In general my reaction was "meh." The recreation of the oval office was cool (I imagine they have that in most of the libraries, or at least the more modern ones.) The collection of trinkets gifted to Bush or the U.S. by visiting dignitaries was amusing. However, largely a waste of time.

The drive through east Texas and across the heart of Louisiana was mostly taken on more rural roads and not the interstates. Pretty poor section of the country.

We stopped at one gas station/convenience store NW of Baton Rouge and honest to god I stood at the counter looking for the closed caption button for northerners to use. I just laid down a $20 and hoped it was enough.

I've always found the city of New Orleans fascinating. A city of spectacular beauty and architecture. But the whole city feels like nature is just slowly winning the battle to reclaim the land.

Memphis is a dump. Beale Street, for live music lovers, is fun, but largely the city is forgettable. Maybe one of the best meals I've ever had, though, at Central BBQ, across the street from the Lorraine Motel museum. They've done a real nice job of preserving that site, but one that appears to be largely ignored.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I had a wedding to attend, which is the reason we were in Dallas. I was largely unimpressed. A big, urban sprawl and a general hassle to drive around in.
            The most depressing place to fly into during the daytime. Go to Google Earth, center on the DFW airport, turn on 3D and zoom out slowly. It's horrific but it explains a lot about why Texans are like that.

Dallas is what every suburb would look like if the Nazis had won the war.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Went to Canada (Eagle Lake in Ontario) to fish a couple of weeks ago. First time doing this and went with 6 buddies and their sons. We're all friends and our boys are too - all various sports team mates too.

Was a graduation trip for most of the boys along with a couple of juniors.

One cabin for the dads, one cabin... er... frat house for the boys. Was a great time for sure - all inclusive... meals provided, fish cleaned & cooked (shore lunch) & packaged to take home, boats attended to.

Quite spendy. I don't typically go on a fishing trip like that but I was invited, not the planner.

Two anecdotes...

1) Forgot to gas up in International Falls, so stopped at a station in Fort Frances. They had a gas attendant and I noticed that gas was only $1.06. Was like... DANG, I guess the cost of living is less up here!

Got the bill for 10-ish gallons and it was $44. I'm like, what? He tells me $40 US should cover it. Was $1.06 per liter. ****ing Euros.

I bet $40 US more than covered it. Oh well - when on vaca, I don't sweat a little overspend here and there.

2) At border station coming back, attendant asks if we're bringing back anything and I say just fish. She hands back our passports and says "See ya." in a very dismissive way.

No welcome home or have a nice day. "See ya."

Turns out the Ugly American is working the border.

Of course I didn't call her on it or lodge a formal complaint as she likely would have administered the body cavity search herself, sans lube.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                Went to Canada (Eagle Lake in Ontario) to fish a couple of weeks ago. First time doing this and went with 6 buddies and their sons. We're all friends and our boys are too - all various sports team mates too.

Was a graduation trip for most of the boys along with a couple of juniors.

One cabin for the dads, one cabin... er... frat house for the boys. Was a great time for sure - all inclusive... meals provided, fish cleaned & cooked (shore lunch) & packaged to take home, boats attended to.

Quite spendy. I don't typically go on a fishing trip like that but I was invited, not the planner.

Two anecdotes...

1) Forgot to gas up in International Falls, so stopped at a station in Fort Frances. They had a gas attendant and I noticed that gas was only $1.06. Was like... DANG, I guess the cost of living is less up here!

Got the bill for 10-ish gallons and it was $44. I'm like, what? He tells me $40 US should cover it. Was $1.06 per liter. ****ing Euros.

I bet $40 US more than covered it. Oh well - when on vaca, I don't sweat a little overspend here and there.

2) At border station coming back, attendant asks if we're bringing back anything and I say just fish. She hands back our passports and says "See ya." in a very dismissive way.

No welcome home or have a nice day. "See ya."

Turns out the Ugly American is working the border.

Of course I didn't call her on it or lodge a formal complaint as she likely would have administered the body cavity search herself, sans lube.
                Well, then you could have skipped your Prostate exam...

Comment

$40 US really did cover it and a nice tip to boot!
                  Current exchange has $44CDN = $33.83US
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

that sounds fun, but were there mosquito's is the big question.

I'm heading out for Reims next week. I started out to go just to drive the former F1 circuit and see the cathedral but there is so much more to do there we extended our stay three extra days.

The dollars is down to a low, hopefully it rebounds.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      that sounds fun, but were there mosquito's is the big question.

No bugs at all.

Comment

Today it was my privilege to visit the former Reims/Gueux Formula one circuit just outside of Reims, France, and drive what's left of the course. The French Grand Prix was held here in the 50's. The pits are still intact as are many other parts but some have fallen into severe disrepair.The course is roughly 8 km long and Juan Manual Fangio holds the course record for the older configuration in about 2 minutes 20 seconds. It's basically public roads and would be considered far too dangerous today. Let me tell you this was a fast course. It would be fast today too. The scariest places are on the west side where you crest a hill in a slight curve and in an F1 car would be doing maybe 135 mph or 140 at the time. I think it would be very hard to do that hill flat. The cars at that time had 425 hp and weighed about 1400 pounds but had poor brakes and almost nothing in safely equipment, not even a roll bar.
                        We stopped and looked around and there is a club of aficionados trying to save what's left. They had some brochures which we took one of. The course was basically three long straights with hairpins at the end and much of the course can be seen from the grandstands. Just amazing for me, having grown up following Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart , to finally see this place which has been in so many car magazines and movies. One of the main reasons for my wanting to come here.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Going to Canada in a bit- I know you guys will have the answer- How do you handle the $ situation? Do you pay for everything in American or get some $ exchanged to bring?

Don't like to carry a bunch of cash so usually pay with the Credit card but the Visa we have has a fee for that. Discover does not but a lot of places don't take that. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            Going to Canada in a bit- I know you guys will have the answer- How do you handle the $ situation? Do you pay for everything in American or get some $ exchanged to bring?

Don't like to carry a bunch of cash so usually pay with the Credit card but the Visa we have has a fee for that. Discover does not but a lot of places don't take that. Thoughts?
                            Most Canadians will take American cash, but they're usually stiffing you on the exchange rate. If you change out your cash at a bank or service, they'll charge a fee. I don't know which is worth, to tell the truth. The answer likely depends upon the vendor/store you're visiting. Just try to use your CC as much as possible because Visa and Master Card will give you your best exchange rate possible with the smallest aggregated fees.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Most Canadians will take American cash, but they're usually stiffing you on the exchange rate. If you change out your cash at a bank or service, they'll charge a fee. I don't know which is worth, to tell the truth. The answer likely depends upon the vendor/store you're visiting. Just try to use your CC as much as possible because Visa and Master Card will give you your best exchange rate possible with the smallest aggregated fees.
                              This is what we did on our brief trip into Canada in May.

Comment

Heading to Cuba. Tell you about it later.

Comment

Working...
                                X